How much damage do these beginner mistakes cause?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: How much damage do these beginner mistakes cause?

Post by theholycow »

novasorc wrote:Thanks. Is there any systematic way to tell what RPM I could dump the clutch at? I actually prefer to dump the clutch when upshifting, since it seems easier, but I don't really know what RPM I should look for during each shift.
I've got a calculator that can do the math, but it will require a ton of memorization.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/195 ... /index.htm

Feed your ratios/tire size/etc into it and memorize the resulting chart. When entering a gear, refer to the memorized chart to know what RPM that gear will be at your road speed.

I don't think it's humanly possible to do that. Rather, it's something that comes from practice. Just practice and the timing will become second-nature along with muscle memory.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
novasorc
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda 3 sGT

Post by novasorc »

Hi Guys. I've been driving around for almost a month now and definitely much better. Got some more questions.

So, I've been hearing differing opinions about if it's bad to shift without the clutch when the car is off. I like to do it just for fun and I hope I'm not damaging the car. I have noticed that sometimes certain gears can't be shifted into when the car is off unless I press the clutch. Why is this?

Thanks.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

It's safe to do.

Sometimes you can't get into a gear because everything is lined up just wrong. If things were spinning then it wouldn't be long before they'd get a chance to line up better, but with everything still they'll just stand their ground. Don't force it. You could try using the clutch pedal (which may sometimes allow things to shift just a couple degrees with the engine off and car not moving), and/or maybe shifting into another gear first (which may knock things around a bit).

novasorc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by novasorc »

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Another new question :)

My car requires me to push down to shift into reverse. Am I supposed to push down to shift back into neutral? I know I can do it without pushing down, but then there's a loud noise from it popping back up once it nears the center. I don't know if it was meant to do that, or if I'm causing some extra wear by the grinding from the extra pressure before it pops back up.

Thanks.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

novasorc wrote:Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Another new question :)

My car requires me to push down to shift into reverse. Am I supposed to push down to shift back into neutral? I know I can do it without pushing down, but then there's a loud noise from it popping back up once it nears the center. I don't know if it was meant to do that, or if I'm causing some extra wear by the grinding from the extra pressure before it pops back up.

Thanks.
As I have a very very very similar car :lol: , I will say that I haven't had any weird popping noises or anything going from reverse to neutral after backing up. Thinking about what I do, I tend to apply a small amount of down pressure to the shifter when I shift out of reverse, basically preventing the shifter from popping up once you get past the shift lock (probably not the technically correct name for that part). It's almost like I let the shifter push my hand up once it is past the lock and then just go left then up to get to first.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:shift lock (probably not the technically correct name for that part).
Reverse lockout.

IIRC, my 2008 VW had a similar lockout and I don't remember pushing down on it or having it pop, but I can certainly imagine a lockout mechanism that will do that. My guess would be that it's harmless and that I likely wouldn't bother trying to avoid it if I had that car.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:Reverse lockout.

IIRC, my 2008 VW had a similar lockout and I don't remember pushing down on it or having it pop, but I can certainly imagine a lockout mechanism that will do that. My guess would be that it's harmless and that I likely wouldn't bother trying to avoid it if I had that car.
Thanks, moofasa.

Mazda's lockout method is to require pushing the shifter down in order to get past the reverse lockout. Scion's was to pull up on a ring on the middle of the shifter to get past the lockout. Every car company does it differently, and none of the methods seem that much better or worse than the others.

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Indeed. I think I was unclear...the VW required me to push it down to get into Reverse, but I don't remember pushing down to get out.

Wife's 2003 Sunfire has a ring that you pull up, and I don't pull it when getting out of Reverse. Sometimes it's a pain, you have to do it during exactly the right portion of the shift lever's stroke...if you do it too soon then it doesn't work. Something like that. All I know is occasionally it irritates me.

My Buick's T5 has no lockout, and if it did I think I would have permanently defeated it before installing the transmission. ;)

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Apparently I was also unclear. It's not required to push down to get out of reverse, but I leave a little down pressure so the stick doesn't jump up a little when it passes the lockout.

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

That little jump coming out of Reverse on a push-down lockout equipped shifter is the sort of tactile thing I like about manual transmissions.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:That little jump coming out of Reverse on a push-down lockout equipped shifter is the sort of tactile thing I like about manual transmissions.
Oh yes. I competely agree. And the little vibration you might be able to feel through the shifter when starting from a stop. It's like, "hey, this thing really is attached to the car."

For Pony!
novasorc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by novasorc »

Hey guys. I was wondering if there's anything special I need to do to downshift into 1st gear. My car resists when I try to downshift from 2nd into 1st at about 4-7 MPH. I know I shouldn't force it in, but I end up doing it sometimes because I feel like it should work. Is this a sign of something wrong, or just me not shifting properly? Thanks.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

novasorc wrote:Hey guys. I was wondering if there's anything special I need to do to downshift into 1st gear. My car resists when I try to downshift from 2nd into 1st at about 4-7 MPH. I know I shouldn't force it in, but I end up doing it sometimes because I feel like it should work. Is this a sign of something wrong, or just me not shifting properly? Thanks.
So if you were coasting at 35 mph, can you push in the clutch and row the stick back and forth from 3rd to 4th and back to 3rd?
Slow it down to 25 mph, can you push in the clutch and row the stick back and forth from 3rd to 2nd and back to 3rd?
You really ought to be able to repeat this at 10-15 mph coasting and shifting between 1st and 2nd.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I've not driven a manual Mazda in a few years but I don't think either of my four-wheeled manuals (both GMs) would readily do that 2-1 shift without a double-clutch. It's always seemed first is a common gear to have a weak synchro, and if the previous owner was fond of attempting that shift at speed, that would contribute.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...but that's why DOG invented triple-cone synchros!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"