slow shifting [3rd gear+] causing jerkiness

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
IMBoring25

Re: slow shifting [3rd gear+] causing jerkiness

Post by IMBoring25 »

On shifts, if you have the timing and/or throttle work right, it literally does not matter what you do with the clutch.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

IMBoring25 wrote:On shifts, if you have the timing and/or throttle work right, it literally does not matter what you do with the clutch.
That more experience I get, the more this rings true.

As long you have the clutch/gas timing right, you can alter the speed of the "sea-saw" to take care of almost all issues including rev hang.
2012 VW Golf R
winespoon
Junior Standardshifter

Post by winespoon »

It sounds like I'll just need to adjust my technique depending on the situation.

As long as I move the shifter through the gate quickly for 4-5, 5-6, I can let go of the clutch pedal fairly quickly without jerk, without applying any throttle.

But it sounds like if I need to slow down the shifting, I'll have to apply some gas... (which is something I've avoided because it feels like I'm using up clutch?)

Thanks folks, really appreciate the help. :D

Oh, the car is great, thanks for asking.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

winespoon wrote:But it sounds like if I need to slow down the shifting, I'll have to apply some gas... (which is something I've avoided because it feels like I'm using up clutch?)
When you have this problem and smooth it by shifting faster or keeping engine speed up, you are reducing clutch wear vs. smoothing it with the clutch.

This is actually a somewhat common misconception. People read that you shouldn't shove lots of power through a slipping clutch and become scared to touch the gas pedal at all until the clutch pedal is all the way up, then they wear the clutch more by making it do all that work accelerating the engine. The caution to avoid gassing through a slipping clutch is telling you not to rev it way up and then use the clutch to drag it down (a mistake which is very similar to the "feature" known as rev hang, which most of us hate). You have exactly the opposite problem.

If you were to watch the tachometer (an unpopular idea on Standardshift.com) during the entire shifting process, the optimum result is to see it hold steady as you let the clutch pedal up. In your case you'd see it drop too far during your slow shift then jump back up as the clutch grabs and jerks the car; your goal is to do that ahead of the clutch by using the gas pedal, so the clutch doesn't have to do that work. (In the case of rev hang or a sloppy driver trying to apply too much power too early, you'd see the tach needle start too high and jump down when the clutch grabs.) I'm not suggesting you stare at the tach (though I sometimes enjoy it), just describing to you what's going on.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:If you were to watch the tachometer (an unpopular idea on Standardshift.com) during the entire shifting process, the optimum result is to see it hold steady as you let the clutch pedal up. In your case you'd see it drop too far during your slow shift then jump back up as the clutch grabs and jerks the car; your goal is to do that ahead of the clutch by using the gas pedal, so the clutch doesn't have to do that work. (In the case of rev hang or a sloppy driver trying to apply too much power too early, you'd see the tach needle start too high and jump down when the clutch grabs.) I'm not suggesting you stare at the tach (though I sometimes enjoy it), just describing to you what's going on.
I didn't realize using a tach was frowned upon here. I enjoy glancing at the tach and noting where the RPM are when _____ occurs.

I've nothing to add, OP. I'm fairly certain the answers given + practice will solve your issue.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint, I think it's frowned upon when used as a crutch. I scan everything fairly frequently when in the car and motoring along.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!