Scared about slowing down and speeding up.

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
henree
Junior Standardshifter

Scared about slowing down and speeding up.

Post by henree »

Hi all,

I want to know how I can speed up my stop and take offs at stop signs. I have been driving for about 3 days. And when ever I come to a stop sign I freak out. I keep it in 2nd gear around my neighborhood. And I then clutch in and brake. I then go to Neutral and into 1st and start again. The whole process seems to take forever. And cars behind me get very aggravated. How can I speed the process up?

Also in my city most intersections use a pressure technology where it senses a cars weight on the road and the light turn green when the opposing traffic has taken off. So it is real hard to anticipate the light. I find it very difficult to slow down and take off when I am slowing to 5 mph. Should I just shift into 1st and accelerate? What is the lowest mph that 2nd gear can take?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Scared about slowing down and speeding up.

Post by potownrob »

henree wrote:I have been driving for about 3 days.
herein lies your problem.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Try to get more practice in an area where cars are not going to get behind you, the back of a large parking lot maybe.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

If you're going about 5mph coming to a stop and need to accelerate again, you can use second depending on the car's gearing. You're essentially doing the same thing in 2nd rolling a few miles an hour as you're doing in first while stopped. I call it a rolling launch. You slip the clutch a but like you would in first and get going. Takes a little practice.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

As mentioned, what you need is practice.

There's no amount of us telling you "don't worry about it" that will help you not worry about it, but...don't worry about it.

Here is a strategy that may help:
1. When you know there's a stop ahead and you are done accelerating shift into neutral immediately so you're coasting as you begin braking.
2. When you get almost down to 1st's idle speed (test this by no-gas launching in a parking lot, idling along for a few seconds, and seeing how fast you're going), step on the clutch and shift into 1st without touching the accelerator (your right foot is still busy braking anyway). Congratulations, you've just double-clutched into 1st!
henree wrote:Should I just shift into 1st and accelerate? What is the lowest mph that 2nd gear can take?
Most cars can launch in 2nd from a stop without any drama, so 0 mph.

When going slower than 2nd's idle speed and you want to use 2nd, use what we call the "rolling 2nd launch". Your feet act like you're launching from 0 mph in 1st but your hand puts it in 2nd and the car is still rolling as you slip the clutch and give it a little gas, fully engaging the clutch (letting the pedal up) the same way you would during a launch.

Folks, henree posted in his other thread that he has a 2013 Civic. Can anyone comment on the gearing and low-RPM torque as it affects his low speed 2nd gear question?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

theholycow wrote:Folks, henree posted in his other thread that he has a 2013 Civic. Can anyone comment on the gearing and low-RPM torque as it affects his low speed 2nd gear question?
The 2013 Civic is available in two different manual transmission configurations: a 5-speed (LX) and 6-speed (Si). Do you know which one he has?
2013 Honda Civic Si
henree
Junior Standardshifter

Post by henree »

Boston Fit wrote:
theholycow wrote:Folks, henree posted in his other thread that he has a 2013 Civic. Can anyone comment on the gearing and low-RPM torque as it affects his low speed 2nd gear question?
The 2013 Civic is available in two different manual transmission configurations: a 5-speed (LX) and 6-speed (Si). Do you know which one he has?
I have the 5-speed.
Is it okay if I am on the streets going slow in 1st gear to stop in 1st gear and continue in 1st? Or should I shift into neutral then 1st gear?

I tried coming to a stop sign last night in 2nd gear. At 3 mph the car started bucking and as I shifted in 1st it stalled.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

henree wrote:
Boston Fit wrote:
I have the 5-speed.
Is it okay if I am on the streets going slow in 1st gear to stop in 1st gear and continue in 1st? Or should I shift into neutral then 1st gear?

I tried coming to a stop sign last night in 2nd gear. At 3 mph the car started bucking and as I shifted in 1st it stalled.
Usually you leave it in 2nd until under about 5 mph. There is no harm about leaving it in any gear if you just need to slow down and then start again - pending that your RPM don't drop to where the engine struggles.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

henree wrote:Is it okay if I am on the streets going slow in 1st gear to stop in 1st gear and continue in 1st? Or should I shift into neutral then 1st gear?

So, there's a good rule of thumb that says you should only ever use 1st while launching the car, or trolling around a 1-2mph in a parking lot, for example. There is absolutely no need to drop the car back into 1st while you're already underway, especially as you're slowing and approaching an intersection. Low gears are best for acceleration - and that's the last thing you need while slowing to a stop. As the others have said above, if you're cruising along a surface street and you see a stop sign or red light ahead of you, just start slowing down by taking your foot off the gas and/or applying the brakes in whatever gear you happen to be in (even 5th). As you slow down, the engine rpms will eventually drop to around idle rpm (a number you should memorize), and at that point, just push the clutch in and shift to neutral. Continue to slow to a stop. You can take your foot off the clutch once you're in neutral, by the way.

Getting yourself moving again happens in one of two ways: (1) after you've come to a complete stop, or (2), while you're still rolling slowly. The process is the same, as the guys above explained, except that in any event where you're moving even just a couple miles per hour, use 2nd gear instead of 1st.

As far as the issue with traffic sensors in the intersection, that's sort of a nonsequitur. Driving a car with a stick shift is all about situational awareness. It's really how all drivers should approach the task of driving, but most never do. My point is, there are always cues that will tell you when you need to anticipate a maneuver. Whether it be the light opposite your intersection turning yellow, or the car two cars ahead of the car ahead of you slamming on its brakes... there is enough information out in the world that you can pay attention to, and it will serve you well behind the wheel.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Very good advice in this thread.

Basically, what you're scared off is stalling or being in the wrong gear to accelerate again. When your already rolling, use 2nd instead of 1st like other have said. Pay attention to the idle rpm, you won't stall as long as you are above that rpm no matter what gear you're in. When in doubt, just clutch in or put it in neutral.

As far as traffic lights go, I'm sure everyone here can attest to looking at cross street lights in anticipation of our lights turning green. At first it can be stressful because you are not used to doing it when you were driving an automatic but it is something we all do.
2012 VW Golf R
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

henree wrote:I have the 5-speed.
I've never driven the 5-speed, but I'd say your car is bucking because you left it in gear too long. I would second what others have said earlier: as you approach a stop, just take it out of whatever gear you're in at that moment, put it in neutral, and coast to a stop. Some people choose to downshift towards a stop - see here - but I would start with the coasting technique first because it's easier.

And whatever you do, don't ever downshift into 1st gear. As a rule of thumb while you're still learning, 1st gear is only for starting from a complete standstill.
2013 Honda Civic Si
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Kevin, there are exceptions to the rule of not using first unless stopped. In the turbo sonic 2nd gear is as fast as a glacier between 700 and 1200 rpm as you are off boost and it's a tall gear. You will get rear ended. I double clutch into first in those cases.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

^Yup, I agree. I recommend, as a general practice, not downshifting into 1st while moving more than 1st's idle speed...but there are certainly times when you should.
henree wrote:Is it okay if I am on the streets going slow in 1st gear to stop in 1st gear and continue in 1st? Or should I shift into neutral then 1st gear?

You need to step on the clutch pedal. You can't stop the car in gear without pushing the clutch pedal to the floor. I haven't driven your car so I can't say for sure but it sounds like 3mph is too slow for any gear

As long as the clutch pedal is floored you can leave it in 1st gear, that's fine. If you're going to be sitting there for a couple minutes (a very long traffic light, for example), shift to neutral so you can rest your left leg (and also to avoid unnecessary excess wear on the release bearing, but please don't become paranoid about that).

henree
Junior Standardshifter

Post by henree »

Ok so if I am in traffic that is traveling under 10mph. I am in 2nd gear and I happen to slow to 5mph and below. I then become sure I am stopping for a moment. Car then drops to 3-4 mph. Then the traffic suddenly quickens back up. I should then clutch in and accelerate while the shifter is in the 2nd gear?
Or do I have to find the friction point and ease off the clutch like a launch from a stop? I just want to find an option that is smooth and simple to get me through crawls in traffic. Maybe then I can enter a drive thru restaurant with out pooping my pants. :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

henree wrote:Car then drops to 3-4 mph. Then the traffic suddenly quickens back up. I should then clutch in and accelerate while the shifter is in the 2nd gear?
Or do I have to find the friction point and ease off the clutch like a launch from a stop?
It seems that nobody here knows your model as equipped, so YOU tell US! :) Try it both ways and tell us which is smoother. I looked up your gear ratios and fed them into a gear calculator...
Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.143, 2nd: 1.870, 3rd: 1.235, 4th: 0.949, 5th: 0.727, Reverse: 3.308, Final Drive: 4.29, Tires: P195/65R15
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1956 ... /index.htm
The chart starts at 500 RPM. At 500 RPM, 2nd gear is 5mph and 1st is 3mph. You'll probably want to shift into 1st, using the strategy I posted earlier:

1. When you know there's a stop ahead and you are done accelerating shift into neutral immediately so you're coasting as you begin braking.
2. When you get almost down to 1st's idle speed (probably 5mph by the gear calculator, guessing your idle RPM), step on the clutch and shift into 1st without touching the accelerator. Congratulations, you've just double-clutched into 1st!

Otherwise, based on the calculator, to use 2nd you'll have to find the friction point and ease off the clutch like a launch from a stop. It's easier than a launch from a stop though, because you don't have to worry about stalling; if you mess up, it may buck and jerk but it probably won't stall. I recommend making a habit of doing this rather than shifting to 1st, but 1st is an option (and is the better option if 2nd doesn't work well for you).