explain why to rev match?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: explain why to rev match?

Post by ClutchFork »

AHTOXA wrote:No, you do blip the throttle to rev match a downshift. I think that's what most drivers do, from my experience. You also want to slightly undershoot the revmatch on the downshift, this way your clutch engagement catches the revs as they are still rising slightly vs falling after overshooting. This makes the shift smoother and you don't have to be spot-on perfect each time to get it right.
I find that elevating the rpms to rev match works better than a blip which may be unblipped by the time the clutch is engaging. But maybe I just need to develop better coordination.

Yeah, if you get the revs higher than they should be to rev match it is kind of chunky engaging. Happened to me a couple times.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Chiba wrote:Wait.. so I'm not suppose to blip the throttle when I downshift to rev match, but rather hold the rev and then clutch in? I guess that's easier than just hoping I am hitting the right rev in a blip.
Both styles, blip and steady-throttle, can produce a good rev-match...you just have to choose which one works best for you and your car. I'm a fan of steady-throttle but I'm stuck in a blip habit.
AHTOXA wrote:You also want to slightly undershoot the revmatch on the downshift, this way your clutch engagement catches the revs as they are still rising slightly vs falling after overshooting.
I would say overshoot if you intend to accelerate, undershoot if you intend to reduce speed. (And only slightly, and of course if you can get it spot-on that's even better).
InlinePaul wrote:I find that elevating the rpms to rev match works better than a blip which may be unblipped by the time the clutch is engaging. But maybe I just need to develop better coordination.
You may find differently when driving some drive-by-wire throttles. :?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Chiba
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Chiba »

So catch the right rev while its going up from the blip rather than overshooting and catch it when its falling? Hmm.. I have to try that. It seems it will need more coordination than catching it while it falls
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

I don't really do the steady gas. but if I do, ill only do it if I need to pass like really quickly. I like the blipping the throttle with clutch disengaged. I've gotten pretty good at it.