How to adjust to a new car?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

How to adjust to a new car?

Post by bk7794 »

I've noticed a massive difference between my two civics. The clutch on my newer one engages much lower compared to the 91. My question is though, now I have to re-adjust and I am having a very difficult time doing so. It seems that I can shift at a much slower pace compared the the 91 due to the lower engagement point. However, how long approximately does it take to adjust? Also any advice? I have found that thinking about it is much worse lol.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: How to adjust to a new car?

Post by Shadow »

Depends on the driver. Personally, I can quickly adjust to pretty much any manual transmission car. Then again, I've been driving them for many, many years and I've owned lots of them during that time.

Just give it time and you'll get used to it.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The more cars you drive, the easier it is to adjust. I drive a ton of manuals for work, so I only take a few minutes to figure a new car out.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote:Depends on the driver. Personally, I can quickly adjust to pretty much any manual transmission car. Then again, I've been driving them for many, many years and I've owned lots of them during that time.

Just give it time and you'll get used to it.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to take the car out on a weekend when I am more refreshed and there are less drivers on the road.
watkins wrote:The more cars you drive, the easier it is to adjust. I drive a ton of manuals for work, so I only take a few minutes to figure a new car out.
Yeah, I found getting the car to move to not be much of a challenge, but just doing it smoothly consistently.
silent425
Junior Standardshifter

Post by silent425 »

watkins wrote:The more cars you drive, the easier it is to adjust. I drive a ton of manuals for work, so I only take a few minutes to figure a new car out.
Couldn't resist, so I have to ask, what's your job?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

silent425 wrote:
Gigolo?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Your's probably catches similar to my Acura.

I've always thought lower clutch means off clutch/on gas quicker? Maybe just for me, but it seems slower clutch release just becomes a struggle with the DBW and such.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Have had three full size Ford trucks with 4.9L inline sixes, all manual transmissions, from 1977 through 2011. Have driven them with high pedals, low pedals, even a pedal engaging right off the floor, and never recall any trouble adjusting. But when I got this Ford Ranger in December 2011, it seems it took me nearly a year to fully acclimate to driving it. I think the big difference was engine size, going from 4.9L to 2.3L, because I briefly drove a couple 4-bangers on single trips here and there over the years, and found the clutch in those to have a rather toyish feel compared to the big 4.9L. The Ranger feels great now though.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I have driven my fair share of manuals over the last seven years, (true, I've only owned two, but driven many) and didn't really have much trouble adjusting to the different clutches. Now, driving them smoothly, that's a different story, but at least I didn't have trouble driving them. Maybe me learning stick on one of the trickiest clutches in the book helps a bit, I don't know, but that shouldn't really matter.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I've noticed a massive difference between my two civics. The clutch on my newer one engages much lower compared to the 91. My question is though, now I have to re-adjust and I am having a very difficult time doing so. It seems that I can shift at a much slower pace compared the the 91 due to the lower engagement point. However, how long approximately does it take to adjust? Also any advice? I have found that thinking about it is much worse lol.
it should only take a year or so to adjust :) 8)

:lol:
Last edited by potownrob on Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I've noticed a massive difference between my two civics. The clutch on my newer one engages much lower compared to the 91. My question is though, now I have to re-adjust and I am having a very difficult time doing so. It seems that I can shift at a much slower pace compared the the 91 due to the lower engagement point. However, how long approximately does it take to adjust? Also any advice? I have found that thinking about it is much worse lol.
like the others have alluded to, it will probably take longer to adjust since you haven't driven too many manuals. for me, i've driven many manuals but only a handful or so were my cars or cars i ever drove for more than a few minutes. it still took me at least a month to get used to each new car. keep in mind all these cars were totally different cars from one to the next (civic to maxima to accord to newer slushbox accord to impreza to slushbox jetta), and it took a good month or 2 to get used to the throttle etc. even of the automatics. your car is actually not TOO different from your old car, but it will take a while to really get used to the lower clutch engagement zone, along with the throttle response, braking etc. i think it's okay and sometimes necessary to think things through at first, but you will want to stop thinking about it as soon as possible (twss??).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

silent425 wrote:
Same here. I end up driving a manual at work every now and again, so I don't think it's too hard to adjust to a different car. It's not necessarily going to be super pretty, but fairly easy to do.

And to answer the question asked at watkins, I work at a car dealership doing special finance paperwork/phone calls/income verification/etc... so I help get some cars stocked in on trades, cleaned up, filled up with gas, etc.. There aren't that many manuals out there, but I still see some now and again.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Ditto. There were times where I'd go between driving 3 different cars in the same day for decent distances - enough to get used to one clutch only to jump into another. Overtimes you just learn to adapt fast. Generally the more different cars you drive and the more frequently you do so, the easier it is to adjust between cars. It's been a while since I've not been completely comfy getting into a completely different car for the first time and having issues with it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I was able to take it on its test drive and drive it off the lot and such. Just making it pretty is what I am currently having issues with. It is getting there though. I think the initial problems is the fear of damaging the car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

silent425 wrote:
Automotive Wellness Practitioner. Thats "mechanic" to normal people. Im a certified Chrysler Group tech at the largest selling dealer in New England.