Riding? the clutch to engage first gear

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Riding? the clutch to engage first gear

Post by theholycow »

I never got any feel in my VW's clutch pedal, it was numb and dead. Feel is good, it lets your car communicate with your foot.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:I never got any feel in my VW's clutch pedal, it was numb and dead. Feel is good, it lets your car communicate with your foot.
So the spinning sensation in the pedal when you clutch in at high RPM is normal and actually preferred to a pedal with no feel?

I've always felt this but I guess I just became used to it. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.
2012 VW Golf R
cased
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cased »

theholycow wrote:Based on your description from previous posts, you should not be adding throttle. Here's how to diagnose jerking/wrong rev match:

Your head is jerked towards the windshield, engine RPM shoots up: You should have added throttle and/or released the clutch pedal sooner

Your head is jerked towards the headrest, engine RPM shoots down: You should have waited longer to release the clutch pedal and/or get your rev hang fixed.
I haven't really been adding throttle when going into 2nd, maybe a little, but I was talking more about the other gears.
theholycow wrote:
Mostly when adding throttle the shifts have been smooth, but sometimes I throttle too early and it revs up and is jerky. How bad is that for the clutch?
Don't worry about it, it's fine.
So that little hiccup sometimes isn't damaging?
daleadbull wrote: What we're talking about does not involve the throttle at all. Simply rev the engine up then let off gas and push in the clutch. While doing this I get a spinning sensation in the clutch pedal like the clutch is still spinning but winding down. Its hard to describe it doesn't feel rough per say and its not rubbing against anything, just feels like its still spinning. This is my first manual car so don't know if its normal.
That's exactly what I feel. Thanks for the better description!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

cased wrote:So that little hiccup sometimes isn't damaging?
We all make mistakes. Systems are designed to tolerate normal mistakes, and then some. If you're doing it every time then you will want to improve it, but otherwise you're fine.

FRSstyle
Junior Standardshifter

Post by FRSstyle »

Isn't there another technique to blip the throttle and then let the clutch out swiftly to avoid slipping the clutch in stop and go?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

There are probably other techniques, but nothing is going to avoid slipping the clutch when going from zero to moving. The immutable laws of physics will not allow that.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:There are probably other techniques, but nothing is going to avoid slipping the clutch when going from zero to moving. The immutable laws of physics will not allow that.
Unless you start on a decent downhill slope and let 'er roll up to 5 mph before you engage the clutch. :mrgreen:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Unless you start on a decent downhill slope and let 'er roll up to 5 mph before you engage the clutch. :mrgreen:
Good point.

Or this:

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:There are probably other techniques, but nothing is going to avoid slipping the clutch when going from zero to moving. The immutable laws of physics will not allow that.
Nay Nay I Say. Leave the engine idling, leave your foot off the clutch pedal, and push the shift lever toward the 1st gear position. Keep on pushing...the engine rpm will begin to dip and the vehicle will start to roll forward. Keep it up long enough and the vehicle will be rolling along at idle speed in 1st gear when the synchro sleeve slides into mesh with the clutching teeth on the speed gear.

Now that your rolling, in gear, add some throttle and speed it up and then as you tip out of the throttle pull the stick out of 1st and shove it into 2nd. rinse and repeat a couple times and your cruising in 6th gear.

This isn't good for prolonging your 1st gear synchronizer life, but lab cars can do this and they can go two years without an oil change or anyone checking the tire air pressures.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'll try that... in a rental... if I can find a manual.

I actually tried clutchless shifting in 3-5 the other day. Was interesting, but I'm not going to make it a habit.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Nay Nay I Say. Leave the engine idling, leave your foot off the clutch pedal, and push the shift lever toward the 1st gear position. Keep on pushing...the engine rpm will begin to dip and the vehicle will start to roll forward. Keep it up long enough and the vehicle will be rolling along at idle speed in 1st gear when the synchro sleeve slides into mesh with the clutching teeth on the speed gear.
Fascinating idea Rope! Use the syncronizers as mini clutches! But could they really be designed to take this type of action on a regular basis? There once was a VW that you had to shift just like a manual, but there was no clutch. Well, even if it worked, I'd still want the traditional clutch.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Nay Nay I Say. Leave the engine idling, leave your foot off the clutch pedal, and push the shift lever toward the 1st gear position. Keep on pushing...the engine rpm will begin to dip and the vehicle will start to roll forward. Keep it up long enough and the vehicle will be rolling along at idle speed in 1st gear when the synchro sleeve slides into mesh with the clutching teeth on the speed gear.
Fascinating idea Rope! Use the syncronizers as mini clutches! But could they really be designed to take this type of action on a regular basis? There once was a VW that you had to shift just like a manual, but there was no clutch. Well, even if it worked, I'd still want the traditional clutch.
Soylent green is People and Synchronizers are mini clutches.

One, or two, might consider this as abusing the synchros.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Use the syncronizers as mini clutches!
One, or two, might consider this as abusing the synchros.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

:lol: There's nothing like stating "it can't be done" to bring all the potential ways it can be done out of the woodwork!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote::lol: There's nothing like stating "it can't be done" to bring all the potential ways it can be done out of the woodwork!
We weren't talking "Should it be done?", Right?