Dumping vs. fast release

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Dumping vs. fast release

Post by theholycow »

Gerard wrote:Hey guys, long time no post ha.

Ok so I want to make sure I have this correct.

Dumping Clutch: Releasing as fast as possible to minimize slip.
-eg. While upshifting, let revs fall, time it perfect.....let out as quick as possible(left heel off floor and all)? Not harmful if done correct?(timed perfectly)

Popping Clutch: Side step when clutch is pushed to the floor and let the clutch pedal spring up on its own?
-always harmful(drivetrain shock)

** I do the first one a lot. I've gotten so comfortable to the point where I can time it perfect and just release it super fast, not having to rely on slipping the clutch to absorb any shock.
That seems to be the most common interpretation, however, with some people having different definitions the terms may not be fully meaningful communication.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Hopefully this thread is not going to be down in the dumps. :(

But I thought dumping the clutch was what you do when you want to win a race badly, sort of the drive it like you stole it style.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Am I the only one here who likes that tiny bit of "shift shock"?

I don't mean like jerking forward or back and mistiming a shift, but that little "jump" you kind of feel if you shift quickly. Im not racer lol, but I do drive like that if no one else is in the car with me. And don't mean revving car high, either.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

rml605 wrote:Am I the only one here who likes that tiny bit of "shift shock"?

I don't mean like jerking forward or back and mistiming a shift, but that little "jump" you kind of feel if you shift quickly. Im not racer lol, but I do drive like that if no one else is in the car with me. And don't mean revving car high, either.
YES, I LOVE SHIFT SHOCK. Haven't heard it referred to that way before. I always called it lurching. Yes I love that feeling. The ultimate shift shock or lurch is a 1970 Road Runner 440 V8 and 4 speed. Picture the scenario. You launch in first and everyone is pinned into their seat backs, clutch and everyone comes forward, grab second and they are pinned back again, and same for 2-3 shift, and then of course you are hitting legal speed limits so maybe the 3-4 real quick.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:Am I the only one here who likes that tiny bit of "shift shock"?

I used to mention my love of shift shock in every other post. Having the choice to be smooth or to feel something is one of the things I like about manual. When driving slushbox I prefer ones that shift firmly, too. That reminds me, in that thread about acceptable slushboxes I forgot to mention the reasonably firm shifts in my truck...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:{work it out with}...or a No. 2 Pencil?
Constipated?
We wear tall-kink ahbow doomping, non?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Gerard
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Gerard »

I do love shift shock. I just like being able to choose between uber smooth and not so smooth just as theholycow mentioned.

And as for acceptable auto's...I love the auto in my Dodge 2500 Diesel. Ever since the ecu mods (bully dog/crazy larry) and uprated transmission to deal
with the 1200 ft-lbs torx that sucker feels super strong! It slams to the next gear.....it's all business :twisted: