To rev or not to rev

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: To rev or not to rev

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Image
I never figured out the "see-saw" method. Whenever somebody would try to explain it to me they would say, "ease off the stocks, while easing on the bonds," and I always wanted to ask, "could ya be more specific because that doesn't make sense."
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

think of it as working the hot and cold faucets on a sink - gotta work them right to get the perfect warm water, keeping in mind how much to turn each knob and how hot the hot water can get. i'll let someone else complete the analogy.

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:think of it as working the hot and cold faucets on a sink - gotta work them right to get the perfect warm water, keeping in mind how much to turn each knob and how hot the hot water can get. i'll let someone else complete the analogy.

I guess I like more gas because really hot water hurts my hands. Too much clutch no bueno.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:think of it as working the hot and cold faucets on a sink - gotta work them right to get the perfect warm water, keeping in mind how much to turn each knob and how hot the hot water can get. i'll let someone else complete the analogy.

In some localities, the ground water can give you a bucking faucet (to simulate a bad release on the clutch). When I was a kid we had a well up at the cabin in Canada (20 miles north of Sarnia) that when you first turned on the hot water, it came out rather explosively from build up pressure. There was a bad after taste to the water too.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

InlinePaul wrote:...(20 miles north of Narnia) that when you first turned on the hot water, it came out rather explosively from build up pressure.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:i'll let someone else complete the analogy.
a·nal·o·gy
/əˈnaləjē/
Noun
From the Greek Anal, meaning "of or related to the rectal spincter", and ogy, from Old American, meaning "Oh gee, I wonder how that works. I think we better study it intensely and make a science out of it".
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roger »

I usually release the clutch till the clutch starts engaging then add the throttle, I can get it to engage pretty fast and I don't even go over 1000RPM until the clutch is fully engaged. 1500-2000RPM is waaaay too much throttle unless you're going up a 45degree incline in a 1L charade with 4 passengers.
Chiba
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Chiba »

I have been trying to keep the rev's low for starts. Once you get the right rev's, you will feel your car 'liking' it.

However, as a newbie at manual still, I still tend to push the gas too hard once in a while and the revs up to 2000rpm. When that happens just let the revs drop lower before you start the car. Definitely it below 1500rpm as much as possible.

Like everyone said, when you get the smell, you know you shouldn't have done that. But no one's perfect, especially us newbies and its bound to happen (like this morning going to work... didn't realize I held the clutch too long and I got a slight smell. Just don't do it often.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I only once smelled clutch, and that was when someone totally abused my clutch, partly because I didin't know how to teach it at the time, so it was turning 4000 rpm and moving out as in slow motion, and I smelled a heavy metallic burning smell.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...