Can't seem to get reverse down

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Can't seem to get reverse down

Post by AHTOXA »

I hit the gas in reverse even when I'm parallel parking. It'll pulse, and then I'll use that momentum to do my maneuvering. I used to be a parallel parking ninja when I lived and parked in the city of Chicago for over 8 years. I've lived in the suburbs for 3.5 years now and my parallel parking skills could use some sharpening. None the less, I still pride myself at being able to swing in and park on the first try, it's just that it's with a bit less gusto these days.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

My parallel parking has always sucked. I've lived on the suburbs my whole life and have never needed to parallel park. I've wanted to relearn, but am not sure where to go where I wouldn't damage anything in the event of a mistake.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:My parallel parking has always sucked. I've lived on the suburbs my whole life and have never needed to parallel park. I've wanted to relearn, but am not sure where to go where I wouldn't damage anything in the event of a mistake.
1)Go to an empty parking lot with lots of two-deep striped spaces (no curbstones between the rows).
2)Go to the left end of the lot and pull thru into the far spot.
3)Have an able-bodied assistant stand in the spot to your right, on the left edge, even with the rear bumper of your car.
4)Backing up, cut the wheel to the right and back into the space behind your friend, turning the wheel to the left AFTER the point where you would wing your friend with the right front bumper of your car.
5)Have your friend increment their position one parking spot to the right.
6)Straighten your steering angle and pull thru to the far end of your spot.
Rinse and repeat (perform steps 3-6 in succession multiple times until you run out of parking spots for your able-bodied assistant to move over to (they ARE still able bodied, right?)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, you can practice in a parking lot such as Rope posted. Start in any spot and attempt to parallel park into either the left or the right spot that's diagonally behind you.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650