Your worst moments

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Your worst moments

Post by watkins »

RITmusic2k wrote:One more rare quirky sports car ushered off the road, courtesy of RITmusic2k :|
Viggen killer :evil: :cry:
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Bad moment this weekend..

I do valet and was bringing a stick Challenger up for the guy to leave. Place was on an incline and when I got out I forgot to put the e-brake up and the car started rolling forward. Guess I was in a daze since im use to the handbrake and this had a foot one. Thank god no cars were in front of it. :oops:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:
RITmusic2k wrote:One more rare quirky sports car ushered off the road, courtesy of RITmusic2k :|
Viggen killer :evil: :cry:
uhhh, he killed the viggen a LONG time ago; he's talking about his SHO (which i had no idea he even had) here :? :cry: :lol:

not really upset about this since he has a nice bimmer waiting on the sidelines :twisted: :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

rml605 wrote:Bad moment this weekend..

I do valet and was bringing a stick Challenger up for the guy to leave. Place was on an incline and when I got out I forgot to put the e-brake up and the car started rolling forward. Guess I was in a daze since im use to the handbrake and this had a foot one. Thank god no cars were in front of it. :oops:
Serious question, how many valets can't drive a manual? I am genuinely interested if people who have to drive cars as a profession have roughly the same percentage of manual drivers as Average American Joe.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Not really my profession, just a part time job (im only 21) lol.

Most at my company can, and many drive well. Then there's the kids who think they do, get in the car, and end up burning the clutch.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

rml605 wrote:Not really my profession, just a part time job (im only 21) lol.

Most at my company can, and many drive well. Then there's the kids who think they do, get in the car, and end up burning the clutch.
Profession may have been too strong a term. A part time job then, you still have more experience with valets than I do :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

I could never let a valet drive my car. Imagine if I had my car built up and a stage 3 clutch in it. >.>
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
rml605 wrote:Bad moment this weekend..

Serious question, how many valets can't drive a manual? I am genuinely interested if people who have to drive cars as a profession have roughly the same percentage of manual drivers as Average American Joe.
A couple years back my brother Rob needed tires put on his car and the guy behind the counter couldn't drive the thing into the shop. I would think that a working knowledge of driving a manual would be a requirement if you're going to work in a place that performs any sort of work on a car, aside from maybe a drive thru Valvoline.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Bad moment: I was driving my friend's Mustang GT, a 98 model - not terribly powerful by today's standards, but a decently powered beast - and we're getting on the freeway. He had been giving me lessons in his car because I wanted to learn and he was the only one willing. Long story short he tells me to "get it up to speed in second and start speed shifting"; I lose track of third and jam it back into first somehow. The engine screams and the car starts getting squirrely under heavy engine braking; my friend tells me not to panic and just GTFO of first gear.

A minor embarrassing moment was when I was trying for a 6-4, needed to pass, and went 6-2. The RPM shot up and passing went quickly.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter

Post by comawhite »

tankinbeans wrote:Bad moment: I was driving my friend's Mustang GT, a 98 model - not terribly powerful by today's standards, but a decently powered beast - and we're getting on the freeway. He had been giving me lessons in his car because I wanted to learn and he was the only one willing. Long story short he tells me to "get it up to speed in second and start speed shifting"; I lose track of third and jam it back into first somehow. The engine screams and the car starts getting squirrely under heavy engine braking; my friend tells me not to panic and just GTFO of first gear.

A minor embarrassing moment was when I was trying for a 6-4, needed to pass, and went 6-2. The RPM shot up and passing went quickly.
All you had to do was just let the shifter re-centre and then pull down. But you probably knew that easily after that happened, eh? I did 5->2 because I was manhandling it. Once I learn to just my the shifter slowly down to where it will centre in my hand and pull down. I never miss it. I still struggle once in a while to get it to hit 5th from 4th. xD I did 4th -> 3rd trying to go for 5th on the freeway. >.<
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

comawhite wrote:All you had to do was just let the shifter re-centre and then pull down.
Also, once the mistake was made, all you had to do was stomp the clutch and take your foot off the gas, until you stop being confused and are ready to try again.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

comawhite wrote:I could never let a valet drive my car. Imagine if I had my car built up and a stage 3 clutch in it. >.>
As a Valet, I will tell anyone with a stick car to never let them drive it. :lol:

So many kids learn on the car or just can't drive well and burn the clutch. Some can good, but majority can't.
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter

Post by comawhite »

rml605 wrote:
comawhite wrote:I could never let a valet drive my car. Imagine if I had my car built up and a stage 3 clutch in it. >.>
As a Valet, I will tell anyone with a stick car to never let them drive it. :lol:

So many kids learn on the car or just can't drive well and burn the clutch. Some can good, but majority can't.
Exactly proves my point right there. Or they might try and go for a joyride.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

comawhite wrote:
rml605 wrote:

Exactly proves my point right there. Or they might try and go for a joyride.
Bueller, Bueller? Anyone, anyone?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

First of all, I'm still a new stick driver. I've been driving for almost 8 months now, so most of my embarrassing moments are still fresh on my mind. lol

I stalled it maybe 20+ times in the first few weeks of owning the car. One particular time was pretty funny and embarrassing.

So, I was coming home from work. The road home has a lot of up and downs, so inclines were a daily thing. This particular day I had to stop on the dreaded stop light which was on top of an incline. I think at this point I had been driving the car for maybe 1-2 weeks. So, I was at the stop light and light turns green and I stalled. No big deal, at that point it was a daily occurrence. I started the car up and I stalled again, at this point I look over behind me and it was an old lady behind me. So I tried again and stalled again. I maybe stalled 3-4 times in a row and right before the last time, I looked at my rear view mirror and the old lady was laughing at me. :lol: As I drove off I was so embarrassed but laughing my butt off at the same time. haha

So not only did I fail over and over again, I got laughed at by an old lady. I dare someone to beat that! :D
2012 VW Golf R