Rev-match accuracy inconsistent?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Rev-match accuracy inconsistent?

Post by theholycow »

It's fine. The only argument against it that I can think of is potential for a slight amount of clutch wear (less than a typical launch) while releasing the clutch, if you declutch at a snail's pace. (BTW same issue would be in place if you are in a low gear and get off the gas too early.) Slap that clutch pedal to the floor expeditiously and it's definitely no problem.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Im able to do it extremeley quick and engage clutch fast.

How do most people rev match?

What I was doing before was just taking my foot off gas completely and clutching in, but my revs drops all the way too fast, so I had to really nail the blip or else it would be ugly. I've watched videos also of people downshifting and their revs don't drop so im assuming they are doing it the way I asked. How owuld it be any different than the take foot off gas, then blip technique? You're still using gas when clutch is disengaged.
Gerard
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Gerard »

Squint wrote:
Gerard wrote:Okay so now a know how easy it can be to do that 'Money Shift' I've
read about lol. Luckily it didn't happen to me but........I was driving in
5th gear and wanted to go to 6th. I guess since I move the shifter so lightly
I didn't feel it shift over in to its centered neutral position and I just pulled it down to 4th(which
I thought was 6th :shock: )

Pretty freaking scary! Soooo glad I wasn't on it in 5th!
Eh, you just got a good jolt to wake you up :wink: :lol:
Pssshh, that woke up my non existent kids as well :lol:
rml605 wrote:Sorry to jack your thread man, but just want to know, what Gerard said about just leaving on gas and downshifting, this isn't bad, right?

Because I always took foot fully off, but this is SO much easier and always smooth. Even did it smooth for 5-3. I just want to know if this is okay for clutch/tranny.
Don't even worry about thread jacking, if you have questions just ask away. We're all here to learn!
So you've been having good results with the "don't let off gas method"?
I haven't done it in a few days as I have just been gently pressing the gas pedal and taking the rpms to where I want them and smoothly
rolling off the clutch(obviously not riding the clutch!). Either method works :)
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

How fast do your RPMs drop when you push in the clutch?

My car has what's called a Drive by Wire, so they drop fast as hell. If im downshifting from 2.5K, right when I push in clutch they go all the way to idle speed rather quickly.

What is best way to rev match then?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:My car has what's called a Drive by Wire, so they drop fast as hell.
Drive-by-wire has no ability to make revs drop any faster than cable throttle. In fact, it's more likely that you'll get rev hang, or at least slow-dropping revs, with drive-by-wire than with cable throttle, though that's up to the person who writes the program. Whoever wrote your program was a nice guy IMO.

I prefer revs that drop fast as hell. I can always bring them up with the accelerator but I have no pedal to bring them down.

Gerard
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Gerard »

rml605 wrote:How fast do your RPMs drop when you push in the clutch?

My car has what's called a Drive by Wire, so they drop fast as hell. If im downshifting from 2.5K, right when I push in clutch they go all the way to idle speed rather quickly.

rml605 wrote:How fast do your RPMs drop when you push in the clutch?

They drop fast....I'm almost certain every NEW vehicle has a DBW system which normally blow as there is a delay which can throw your timing off. And as
theholycow said, DBW's don't effect the rate of drop.
For instance, I stalled this morning...yes, on 10/6/2012 I stalled :shock: haha. I look down and notice my sport button wasn't on. I forgot to turn it on,
one of the things it does is increase the resposiveness of the GO pedal, so I tend to always have it on.

I actually turn my AC on even when it's not necessary just so the RPMs drop even faster haha. I feel like it takes too long.
How long have you been driving manual? I haven't been doing it that long but I find that I'm at the point were I have more then enough time to perform
all my inputs. If anything I wish the revs dropped even faster!

Try to gently and steadily press the gas pedal down to get to your target....that input alone is moooore then enough to get the job done.
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

ur probably releasing clutch to slowly after the blip.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

I think im blipping to slow, maybe.

I don't know why im having so much trouble with it.

If im hovering around 1.8K and im slowing down and need to downshift, i'll obviously clutch in, but then my RPMs fall near idle and now im thinking what RPM to blip to.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

rml605 wrote:.... and now im thinking....
That might be your problem. Don't think about it...just do it! :lol:

Make it become a reflex and you won't have to consciously think about it at all....
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Shadow wrote:

Make it become a reflex and you won't have to consciously think about it at all....
How quick does it usually have to be done?

When I need to rev match (since my car has no torque i'll usually not go any below 1.8-9K)

If im at 1.8K and braking and then have to accelerate...I push in the clutch and blip obviously then shift to lower gear, but once I disengage, my RPMs fall to like idle and now in a pickle on how much to blip. :lol:
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

rml605 wrote:
Shadow wrote:

How quick does it usually have to be done?

When I need to rev match (since my car has no torque i'll usually not go any below 1.8-9K)

If im at 1.8K and braking and then have to accelerate...I push in the clutch and blip obviously then shift to lower gear, but once I disengage, my RPMs fall to like idle and now in a pickle on how much to blip. :lol:
man just poke the gas as you move the shifter, dw about how much rpm and all that shit. if you undershoot next time poke the gas harder, if u overshoot, take a bit longer to release clutch. simple.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

rml605 wrote: How quick does it usually have to be done?

It should happen pretty quickly. It all kind of blends together as you go through the motions. But even if you let the revs drop all the way down, you'll eventually get a feel for how far you have to bring the revs back up. It all comes with time...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:If im at 1.8K and braking and then have to accelerate...I push in the clutch and blip obviously then shift to lower gear, but once I disengage, my RPMs fall to like idle and now in a pickle on how much to blip. :lol:
You've already identified the problem, and there are plenty of obvious solutions...have confidence in your own analysis! Blip later and or harder, or hold the accelerator rather than stabbing it. Your rev-match doesn't have to be perfect, and it will get better with practice (and as you get to caring less).

rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Yeah, I think im just overthinking it. :lol:

For 5-3 downshifts before turns, ive been staring at my tach trying to exactly hit the right RPM lol. I just need to start going by feel.

So:

-Clutch in
-Blip
-Quickly shift and release clutch

Is this how you guys do it?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

That's basically the idea :D