Why do big rigs have unsynchronized transmissions?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Why do big rigs have unsynchronized transmissions?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: - Saw this one yesterday...kind of a cylindrical cage around the hub. Any ideas?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Tups wrote:There's a pretty interesting semi-trailer truck parked in our campus. Every time I see it, they seem to be adding new aerodynamic bits to make it more fuel-efficient. I wonder if any of them will find their way to commercial trucks. After all, we do have some manufacturers in Finland.
the pieces would have to be heavy duty to hold up to the tortures that most commercial big rigs undergo
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:the pieces would have to be heavy duty to hold up to the tortures that most commercial big rigs undergo
Disagree. Most commercial big rigs endure the tortures of getting on the highway, getting off the highway, and navigating enough paved roads to deliver/pick up their cargo. The worst torture that they are usually exposed to is coming up over a short hill where they can high-center, having a tire blow up, or having a brake get stuck.

There's a new law in California (IIRC) requiring standard box trailers to have a fairing underneath. The fairings are showing up on long-haul trucks everywhere, even here in the northeast, and the ones I see are incredibly flimsy. You can see them rattling in the wind, and the front edge on some is already curled/chewed up...but they're surviving enough to obey the law (and hopefully they're actually saving fuel as intended).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Without looking it up, it probably is CA, Cow. They tend to create laws for lots of things.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

They're even making similarly-constructed tapered tails now.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

theholycow wrote:
- Saw this one yesterday...kind of a cylindrical cage around the hub. Any ideas?
Maybe it makes it harder to get a tool on the lug nuts to deter theft? It seems like stealing a wheel off of a big rig is a big operation, though, and someone capable of doing so wouldn't be slowed down very much by a simple mesh cage. Maybe they had little trolls loosening lug nuts. :?:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:the pieces would have to be heavy duty to hold up to the tortures that most commercial big rigs undergo
Disagree. Most commercial big rigs endure the tortures of getting on the highway, getting off the highway, and navigating enough paved roads to deliver/pick up their cargo. The worst torture that they are usually exposed to is coming up over a short hill where they can high-center, having a tire blow up, or having a brake get stuck.

There's a new law in California (IIRC) requiring standard box trailers to have a fairing underneath. The fairings are showing up on long-haul trucks everywhere, even here in the northeast, and the ones I see are incredibly flimsy. You can see them rattling in the wind, and the front edge on some is already curled/chewed up...but they're surviving enough to obey the law (and hopefully they're actually saving fuel as intended).
We all know the real reason for covering the sides...
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote: - Saw this one yesterday...kind of a cylindrical cage around the hub. Any ideas?
When you run out of Diesel fuel, you put the squirrels in the cages and let them run, which gets you down the highway to that next truckstop.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I would never make those squirrels do that kind of work...especially that one in the green top.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD