Driving rear-wheel-drive car through corners

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Driving rear-wheel-drive car through corners

Post by Shadow »

Echord wrote:.... After the accident I stopped shifting during the turn but if I stay in first gear when I finish the turn the engine RPM could get quite high 2500~3000ish. Isn't this equivalent to a "push-the-envelope" situation?
It's not so much the rpm that matters, but rather how hard you are accelerating. In other words, you can drive all day in the 2500-3000 rpm range and never come close to breaking a tire lose if you're going easy on the accelerator.

If you're worried about it, you can short shift into second gear and then just take the turn in second gear. To do that, you'd basically get the car moving in first gear and then immediately shift into second. Even if you're the first car turning at an intersection, you should still have time to get the car into second gear before you actually start turning.
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

I drive an automatic 2001 Ford Mustang v6 being RWD and quite a big of torque. I've oversteered the car a few times during during, but it was all at my fault when doing it. It had only happened when I hit the accelerator a big hard in the middle of the turn. Twice on dry pavement and once on wet. I've yet to try this in my standard car which is a FWD with 100ft lbs less torque. Just can't hit the gas hard while turning, especially in the middle.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

It's hard to oversteer in a FWD car just by hitting the accelerator in the middle of a turn. In some cases, you will actually end up understeering, and the more powerful your car, the more likely this will happen.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

I've never experienced an understeer. Before I knew what understeer and oversteer meant. I thought the car did it depending on which way you turned.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

An easy way to remember (and understand) understeer is to think of it as plowing. If you turn the steering wheel and the vehicle continues moving straight ahead, then you're understeering big time. I think most cars are set up to understeer from the factory because it's considered more "safe" than oversteer, or at least more manageable for an average driver.
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roger »

Were you dumping the clutch when you shifted to second? I just got a Supra but it has extremely bad rev hang and the tyres will chirp if I shift to 2nd really fast above 4500RPM and dump the clutch(this is with brand new tyres on a dry road going staight), I could imagine that causing the rear to slide out easily if I do it mid turn and it was raining badly.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Once I had an Aerostar, that was supposedly 4 wheel drive, but the only wheel s that seemed to work were the rears. Long story short the backend tried to break loose when I gave it too many beans on an exit ramp. I completely lifted off and didn't brake at all. Learned a valuable lesson there.

Best of luck.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:Once I had an Aerostar, that was supposedly 4 wheel drive, but the only wheel s that seemed to work were the rears. Long story short the backend tried to break loose when I gave it too many beans on an exit ramp. I completely lifted off and didn't brake at all. Learned a valuable lesson there.

Best of luck.
So, my notes now say that when losing traction, according to tankinbeans, always floor it. I lern gud!
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:So, my notes now say that when losing traction, according to tankinbeans, always floor it. I lern gud!
Awww yeah! Powerslide like Bo and Luke Duke!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Once I had an Aerostar, that was supposedly 4 wheel drive, but the only wheel s that seemed to work were the rears. Long story short the backend tried to break loose when I gave it too many beans on an exit ramp. I completely lifted off and didn't brake at all. Learned a valuable lesson there.

Best of luck.
:D
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote: So, my notes now say that when losing traction, according to tankinbeans, always floor it. I lern gud!
If there's one important thing I've learned driving AWD cars over the years, it's that you should never lift off the gas when you're cornering at the limit under hard throttle. There's a long sweeping left-handed curve that connects the NYS Thruway to the Garden State Parkway. Years ago when I was young & dumb, I was accelerating really hard around that curve and my car at the time (AWD Eagle Talon Tsi) started to lose traction and go into a four-wheel drift. I started out in the left lane, but I ended up in the right lane and started to cross onto the shoulder just as the curve ended. If I would have lifted off the gas, there's no doubt in my mind that the car would've completely lost traction and I would have gone off the road completely.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Lift-off oversteer drift! Once you cut the throttle and start hurling yourself to the side of the road, mash the gas again and counter-steer!!**

**Don't do it.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT