blipping/pulse and gliding

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

blipping/pulse and gliding

Post by fr4n »

how many here use pulse and glide/blip creeping method to do tight manuevers? (3-point turns/reverse parking etc)
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Re: blipping/pulse and gliding

Post by Roger »

Can you describe what it is?
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Well, I might use something like a "blip" method when I'm just creeping tiny amounts. I'll be in gear, waiting to move, or going into a spot or something, and so I will just move my clutch a little so I'll start rolling then clutch back down or go to neutral for the next couple of seconds while I casually roll to where I'm going.

Is that anything like what you are talking about, fr4n?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

For slow-speed maneuvers I'll usually "no-gas" blip, which I suppose is sort of an anti-blip in actuality. It's done with the clutch pedal only. I'll crawl along in 1st gear and if that has me going too quickly (such as when traversing an especially nasty speed bump), I'll clutch in and coast my speed down a little bit, then gradually bring the clutch back up to get back into in-gear crawling when it's time to accelerate. It can all be done with the clutch if you're patient.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

RITmusic2k wrote:For slow-speed maneuvers I'll usually "no-gas" blip, which I suppose is sort of an anti-blip in actuality. It's done with the clutch pedal only. I'll crawl along in 1st gear and if that has me going too quickly (such as when traversing an especially nasty speed bump), I'll clutch in and coast my speed down a little bit, then gradually bring the clutch back up to get back into in-gear crawling when it's time to accelerate. It can all be done with the clutch if you're patient.
Yeah, this is roughly what I do too. It just depends on where I am (in traffic, parking lot, etc...) how I do it.

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:It just depends on where I am (in traffic, parking lot, etc...) how I do it.
This.

A 3-point turn doesn't cover enough ground or time to have to think about it, it's just a matter of slipping the clutch and by the time it's almost engaged I need to change direction.

In certain types of stop-and-go traffic I pulse and glide (in this context, that means engage clutch momentarily to get car going then declutch again).

Backing into a parking space I generally just go at least as fast as idle with the clutch fully engaged...bonus if I'm going far enough to hear that straight-cut reverse whine. I might brake it down below idle if I need to go just a little slower. Slower than that I might pulse and glide or I might just slip the clutch, depending on the grade and terrain. When I pulse and glide into a space I generally shut the engine off after the pulse, no need to wait until I'm stopped for that.

Hmm...what other low-speed situations are there?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:
Sometimes I gotta slow down to make it last. In those situations I usually thrust and slide, however.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:
theholycow wrote:
Sometimes I gotta slow down to make it last. In those situations I usually thrust and slide, however.
Not thrust and hold? Sliding tends to make it worse...

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Sometimes I gotta slow down to make it last. In those situations I usually thrust and slide, however.
Thrust and hold doesn't work for me, I gotta exit and go downtown for a snack.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:Thrust and hold doesn't work for me, I gotta exit and go downtown for a snack.
Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean? Know what I mean? Eh? Know what I mean?

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:
Squint wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Sometimes I gotta slow down to make it last. In those situations I usually thrust and slide, however.
Thrust and hold doesn't work for me, I gotta exit and go downtown for a snack.
For some sushi?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:For some sushi?
I don't like seafood, nor any preparation that may include uncooked animal flesh.

fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

what i mean is

eg when reversing or creeping and sometimes even on hill starts, you blip with the clutch partially engaged to inch up

so like a short "vroom" causing the car to inch up the tiniest bit. usually when doing small adjustments in positions eg moving maybe a foot or so quickly but carefully.

im curious to see the stats on the usage. usually see high-revving performance cars being handled in such a way. is it cos they got no low end to efficiently no gas a creep? or is it just the way typical sports car drivers use cos they feel cool? lol.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

fr4n wrote:what i mean is

eg when reversing or creeping and sometimes even on hill starts, you blip with the clutch partially engaged to inch up

so like a short "vroom" causing the car to inch up the tiniest bit. usually when doing small adjustments in positions eg moving maybe a foot or so quickly but carefully.
I have never done this.
im curious to see the stats on the usage. usually see high-revving performance cars being handled in such a way. is it cos they got no low end to efficiently no gas a creep? or is it just the way typical sports car drivers use cos they feel cool? lol.
Let's give them the benefit of a doubt; perhaps their multi-disc racing clutches are very touchy and difficult to move slowly using any other method. Then again, depending on who you're talking about, it might be somebody imitating that without knowing why it's done.

fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

theholycow wrote:
fr4n wrote:what i mean is

I have never done this.
Let's give them the benefit of a doubt; perhaps their multi-disc racing clutches are very touchy and difficult to move slowly using any other method. Then again, depending on who you're talking about, it might be somebody imitating that without knowing why it's done.
that could be the reason

i have a clutch like that but its manageable to creep. i cannot no gas start efficiently tho