blipping/pulse and gliding

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: blipping/pulse and gliding

Post by six »

Some clutches are so unforgiving, like Stage 4 or 5 un-sprung racing clutches, that the only way for them to move short distances is to do short "launches," hence the blipping and gliding.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I did think of one thing I do that could be considered similar...in the "impossible hills" thread I mentioned my tires being frozen to the ground and me abusing the car trying to jerk it out of the spot. In that case I rev it up relatively high and stab the clutch up and down. It's got to be hell on the drivetrain but my other option is to leave it frozen to the ground.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

six wrote:Some clutches are so unforgiving, like Stage 4 or 5 un-sprung racing clutches, that the only way for them to move short distances is to do short "launches," hence the blipping and gliding.
so i had it hard pretty much

this is the car and clutch that i began driving with, if you say these clutches are unforgiving im keen on driving a non track prepped car for once

sensitive thottle
heavy, high engaging and grabby clutch
and 6 forward gears to deal with on the first day i ever drove a manual
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

What the heck is a 3 point turn? I've never heard the reference. Is it like a K turn?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:For some sushi?
I don't like seafood, nor any preparation that may include uncooked animal flesh.
The innuendo is strong in you.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

tankinbeans wrote:What the heck is a 3 point turn? I've never heard the reference. Is it like a K turn?
Really? Its a semi-universal term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:What the heck is a 3 point turn? I've never heard the reference. Is it like a K turn?
Really? Its a semi-universal term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn
Seriously, I have never heard the term before. Everybody around me refers to K turns.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

3 point turn is the official term in the rule book in Kentucky, if I'm not mistaken.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

TIL that a 3-point turn can also be called a K-turn. Neat.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
havoktsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by havoktsx »

i guess i just need to recalibrate my brain and sense of speed...

in tight parking areas and traffic, i'm still thinking like an auto driver and want immediate smooth quick movement... i can actually do no-gas launch decently every time without stalling but it seems so "slow" and i feel like i'm slipping the clutch like crazy when parking; this is especially more apparent when i have a full car of passengers.

i'd be surprised if my current clutch lasts me to 100,000 miles, especially since i'm the 3rd owner of the car...
08' Acura TSX ASM/Ebony 6MT
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:Well, I might use something like a "blip" method when I'm just creeping tiny amounts. I'll be in gear, waiting to move, or going into a spot or something, and so I will just move my clutch a little so I'll start rolling then clutch back down or go to neutral for the next couple of seconds while I casually roll to where I'm going.
I do that at times, especially when backing up in tight places. Ah if only reverse was a creeper gear ratio.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:
Squint wrote:Well, I might use something like a "blip" method when I'm just creeping tiny amounts. I'll be in gear, waiting to move, or going into a spot or something, and so I will just move my clutch a little so I'll start rolling then clutch back down or go to neutral for the next couple of seconds while I casually roll to where I'm going.
I do that at times, especially when backing up in tight places. Ah if only reverse was a creeper gear ratio.
InlinePaul, I was very confused by you quoting me, because I didn't remember writing this recently. Then I realized I wasn't crazy and things were much more right in the world. :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:InlinePaul, I was very confused by you quoting me, because I didn't remember writing this recently. Then I realized I wasn't crazy and things were much more right in the world. :lol: :lol:
Ah yes, I inadvertently reached back 10 months for that quote.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...