I feel like I'm not improving as I should...

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: I feel like I'm not improving as I should...

Post by tankinbeans »

Or someone who likes the sound of her exhaust when he turns her on! : :mrgreen:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Raymond_Tengen
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Raymond_Tengen »

I realized I wrote something and deleted it... The "he" part was referring my dad; the "she" part (in the last paragraph) was referring to my sister (5 years older than I am). She's a pain to be in the car. She kept telling everyone to shut up so that I can concentrate on my driving while she starts to shout out "OH LOOK, THAT COFFEE SHOP IS NOW OPENED!" while pointing there blocking my view and nearly gave me a heart attack... She refused to take driving lessons claiming that she's afraid of being hit but kept yelling at other drivers when I'm driving even when I'm at fault :x

As to why my dad haven't drove since 1995, it was because of two things:
- the company for which he was working for went bankrupt and couldn't find another job.
- we were living close to a financial crisis in our family, so selling the car was a must.

It's not just in the USA, but North America in general not that many people drives manual anymore mainly because of the heavy traffic and laziness. When I first learned 12 years ago (yes, got my license in 2000, started driving in 2008), I wasn't thrilled nor was I into cars. It was something my family wanted me to learn and I thought the skill may come in handy one day. Little did I know I would love driving now...

I love how the shift feels more than ever. I'm picky about trying to rid of it, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it when I'm still a beginner. Now, I'd rather get down with the techniques and wait until I get more comfortable before learning other new tricks. My biggest problem, not just in driving but everything in general, is that I tend to move up the ladder without getting good basics. I'm now driving straight in rush hour traffic to get more decent everyday practice.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Raymond_Tengen wrote:I realized I wrote something and deleted it... The "he" part was referring my dad; the "she" part (in the last paragraph) was referring to my sister (5 years older than I am). She's a pain to be in the car. She kept telling everyone to shut up so that I can concentrate on my driving while she starts to shout out "OH LOOK, THAT COFFEE SHOP IS NOW OPENED!" while pointing there blocking my view and nearly gave me a heart attack... She refused to take driving lessons claiming that she's afraid of being hit but kept yelling at other drivers when I'm driving even when I'm at fault :x

- the company for which he was working for went bankrupt and couldn't find another job.
- we were living close to a financial crisis in our family, so selling the car was a must.

It's not just in the USA, but North America in general not that many people drives manual anymore mainly because of the heavy traffic and laziness. When I first learned 12 years ago (yes, got my license in 2000, started driving in 2008), I wasn't thrilled nor was I into cars. It was something my family wanted me to learn and I thought the skill may come in handy one day. Little did I know I would love driving now...

I love how the shift feels more than ever. I'm picky about trying to rid of it, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it when I'm still a beginner. Now, I'd rather get down with the techniques and wait until I get more comfortable before learning other new tricks. My biggest problem, not just in driving but everything in general, is that I tend to move up the ladder without getting good basics. I'm now driving straight in rush hour traffic to get more decent everyday practice.
You seem like you have had an interesting life, if you were in KY I'd gladly take you out for a beer. And I'm glad your family hasn't caused an accident for you :wink: :lol: .

I understand the feeling of wanting to be perfect at everything, I am the same way. If you do something, do it right. Never half-a$$ anything. Unfortunately, we're not perfect creatures so we all make mistakes. I didn't get all the way into reverse the other day and made fun noises as the car protested.

Keep up the good work! Having fun driving is an added bonus from just going A to B.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

Raymond_Tengen wrote:I realized I wrote something and deleted it... The "he" part was referring my dad; the "she" part (in the last paragraph) was referring to my sister (5 years older than I am). She's a pain to be in the car. She kept telling everyone to shut up so that I can concentrate on my driving while she starts to shout out "OH LOOK, THAT COFFEE SHOP IS NOW OPENED!" while pointing there blocking my view and nearly gave me a heart attack... She refused to take driving lessons claiming that she's afraid of being hit but kept yelling at other drivers when I'm driving even when I'm at fault :x

Hey, do not feel bad. My mum is worse. I can't even drive with her in the passenger seat without her complaining about my driving in some way. If I'm 5 or 10mph over the speed limit. She'll say I'm going too fast. If I'm about to pass someone slow. She'll tell me to just deal with it and not to pass. Then she likes to keep her arm on the dash as some protection. Remember this even happens in the automatic car.

It's not really my driving anyone has to worry about. I'm actually a really good driver (better than I was, when I was first driving). I tend to be a magnet for near accidents, because other drivers love to turn without signals on, cut me off, drive out of a parking lot right in front of me, see me speeding down the freeway and just go right in front of my going really slow, etc. But it's a good thing I see a lot of it the things before they happen, so I have a good reaction to it. Well, so far I do. Trying to be more safer on the roads now.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Knowing that I'll never be perfect, I pick my battles and purposely half-ass some things.

comawhite, it sounds like you know what kinds of near-accidents the idiots in your area enjoy. Your next improvement is to work on predicting and evading them before they begin, rather than depending on your good reaction time. Some of it is guesswork that will leave you evading a dumbass maneuver that doesn't end up happening, but it's still a good habit.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

theholycow wrote:Knowing that I'll never be perfect, I pick my battles and purposely half-ass some things.

comawhite, it sounds like you know what kinds of near-accidents the idiots in your area enjoy. Your next improvement is to work on predicting and evading them before they begin, rather than depending on your good reaction time. Some of it is guesswork that will leave you evading a dumbass maneuver that doesn't end up happening, but it's still a good habit.
such as choosing the inner (passing lane) when there is a merging on ramp full of cars coming up.

pretty sure everyones experienced some half-wit try merge into you without checking blindspots
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

fr4n wrote:
theholycow wrote:Knowing that I'll never be perfect, I pick my battles and purposely half-ass some things.

such as choosing the inner (passing lane) when there is a merging on ramp full of cars coming up.

pretty sure everyones experienced some half-wit try merge into you without checking blindspots
All...the...durn...time!!!

The left lane is my last resort, though, because I feel it causes me to be susceptible to goading. If I've slowed down to the point of almost being hit myself, if the merger just can't seem to figure it out and won't speed up yet I have no space ahead to zip past, I will shoot left and gun it. It's much easier on my blood pressure that way.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Raymond_Tengen
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Raymond_Tengen »

Squint, if I do live in KY, I'd gladly come out. My parents are great passengers. My dad would say whatever's on his mind without making me feel down behind the wheel whereas my mom wouldn't say anything other than her daily complains in her life (-_-)" They would both complain loudly on the spot only when I'm driving fast and recklessly, which I can understand and accept. It happened only once because I was following too close at high speed on a local street and the front car just decided to brake while I make a sharp turn to avoid collision. My fault obviously. As for my sister, whenever I'm running on high speed (like close to 50mph), she would start gripping everywhere she can and hold tight (you can tell she never been in a roller coaster) and stay silent.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Raymond_Tengen wrote:Squint, if I do live in KY, I'd gladly come out. My parents are great passengers. My dad would say whatever's on his mind without making me feel down behind the wheel whereas my mom wouldn't say anything other than her daily complains in her life (-_-)" They would both complain loudly on the spot only when I'm driving fast and recklessly, which I can understand and accept. It happened only once because I was following too close at high speed on a local street and the front car just decided to brake while I make a sharp turn to avoid collision. My fault obviously. As for my sister, whenever I'm running on high speed (like close to 50mph), she would start gripping everywhere she can and hold tight (you can tell she never been in a roller coaster) and stay silent.
50 is high speed? She'd dislike me, I usually go 55 or above when legal. ;)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Raymond_Tengen
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Raymond_Tengen »

Most of our highways are about 40 to 42mph, and there are some that are 60mph. Here in Montreal, there's a "speeding forgiveness" of ~11mph, meaning that in a zone of 40mph, if the cops clocked you at 51mph, you'r'e still fine; same thing with 71mph in a zone of 60mph. They claim that it's because of the handheld speeding radar technology that is biased by this much, which makes me wonder why it hasn't been upgraded yet. In that sense, my sister would slowly start gripping (and even retracts her legs a little) when I'm about to enter any highways.

The "speeding forgiveness" only applies to handheld speeding radar, not when you're being clocked by stationary camera. When you think about it, this forgiveness thing is stupid.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Raymond_Tengen wrote:Most of our highways are about 40 to 42mph, and there are some that are 60mph. Here in Montreal, there's a "speeding forgiveness" of ~11mph, meaning that in a zone of 40mph, if the cops clocked you at 51mph, you'r'e still fine; same thing with 71mph in a zone of 60mph. They claim that it's because of the handheld speeding radar technology that is biased by this much, which makes me wonder why it hasn't been upgraded yet. In that sense, my sister would slowly start gripping (and even retracts her legs a little) when I'm about to enter any highways.

The "speeding forgiveness" only applies to handheld speeding radar, not when you're being clocked by stationary camera. When you think about it, this forgiveness thing is stupid.
I see. I'd forgotten that you were one of my northern, stereotypically more patient, neighbours. :)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Raymond_Tengen
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Raymond_Tengen »

tankinbeans wrote:I see. I'd forgotten that you were one of my northern, stereotypically more patient, neighbours. :)
The street signs are more patient; the drivers, not so much...

Just the other day, I saw an old silver Honda Accord side passing me because I was running too slow for him. Then, he was blocked by two cars in the front (street of 2 lanes). He tailgated one, switched to the left lane after 5 seconds, and then switched back to the right after 5 seconds. It was like those two cars are running slow on purpose just to piss him off or something. In addition to switching lanes every 5 seconds back and forth, his brake lights kept on flashing. I wish I had a camera on my dash to record it... It was hilarious.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Raymond_Tengen wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I see. I'd forgotten that you were one of my northern, stereotypically more patient, neighbours. :)
The street signs are more patient; the drivers, not so much...

Just the other day, I saw an old silver Honda Accord side passing me because I was running too slow for him. Then, he was blocked by two cars in the front (street of 2 lanes). He tailgated one, switched to the left lane after 5 seconds, and then switched back to the right after 5 seconds. It was like those two cars are running slow on purpose just to piss him off or something. In addition to switching lanes every 5 seconds back and forth, his brake lights kept on flashing. I wish I had a camera on my dash to record it... It was hilarious.
I see that more often than I'd like. I just giggle and keep going. It's the same thing that happens when somebody jumps into the passing lane, during rush hour - because there's a huge gap and they think they can cruise along, and they shoot past at 10 miles over the limit only to be caught up by the cars further along.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Well, better that he was tailgating those cars in front of you than tailgating you! :)
Raymond_Tengen wrote:When you think about it, this forgiveness thing is stupid.
Very stupid. They should use accurate equipment and enforce it strictly. If the limit is too low for some conditions it should be raised. It's a limit, a maximum; it's not a minimum, a requirement, or a suggestion. There are plenty of laws lowering the limit from the posted number to address conditions.

As it stands, at least in my area of the US (and I think it's similar in most of North America), 99% of drivers are breaking laws 99% of the time, therefore they are at the will and mercy of law enforcement who have the power to pull over any driver at any time, look in the windows for excuses to tear apart the car, etc. Not only that, but it also creates racial tension and difficulty for officers who are just trying to do their job normally; in order to avoid accusations of racial profiling, officers probably have to pay attention to race and use it as part of the decision whether or not to act. If limits were reasonable and traffic laws strictly enforced then there could be no racial profiling (neither the kind that is complained about, nor the kind that the complaints may create). There are other types of profiling not addressed by law or culture, such as young drivers, modified cars, beat-up cars, etc; these unfair treatments, rarely discussed but also offensive in my opinion, would also be impossible. Possibly even more importantly, aggressive drivers wouldn't have any excuse to feel righteous about their behavior when they push around somebody for obeying the law.

It'll never change because that would take power away from law enforcement, but it's a nice fantasy.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Raymond_Tengen wrote: Here in Montreal, there's a "speeding forgiveness" of ~11mph, meaning that in a zone of 40mph, if the cops clocked you at 51mph, you'r'e still fine; same thing with 71mph in a zone of 60mph. They claim that it's because of the handheld speeding radar technology that is biased by this much, which makes me wonder why it hasn't been upgraded yet.
Around here, it is generally accepted that cops allow 10-mph "buffer" before they'll even think about stopping you for speeding. In fact, it's almost an unwritten rule, although there's nothing in the law to support it. From what I've heard, the reason is because there is often some error in vehicle speedometers and the speed measuring devices used by police. Supposedly, it's a lot easier to fight a speeding ticket in court and win when it's for a speed <10 mph of the posted speed limit, so cops don't bother stopping people unless they are speeding more than 10 mph over.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for one or two mph over the speed limit from a speed camera? I'm asking because I doubt that they would have them set up that way. There's probably a "buffer" built into them as well.