Upshifting problem

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
mande110
Junior Standardshifter

Upshifting problem

Post by mande110 »

Hi,

I drive a mitsubishi evo x, and I have been reading a lot about this method
1. push in clutch / get off gas
2. shift into next gear
3. let out clutch at next gears appropriate revs
4. get back on gas
The problem im having is that in order to do this effectively in my car im basically shifting as fast as humanly possible (Revs drop so fast(light flywheel)). I have been reading you need to apply gas in between shifts, but where do apply the gas. do apply after pushing in the clutch to keep revs from dropping or when letting the clutch out for the next gear. So I have been adding gas but my shifts or no longer quick which is why I believe im doing it incorrectly (revs still drop a lot and have to let the clutch take the hit). If someone could give me list of exactly what im supposed to that would help so much.
Thank you, :mrgreen:
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Upshifting problem

Post by Squint »

Welcome!
First thing I would try to do is reverse your numbers 3 and 4. Instead of getting off the clutch and THEN putting your foot on the gas, try doing it at the same time. Or if you're having problems with that, get the rpms up first then take your foot off the clutch. So:
1) Clutch in/foot off the gas
2) shift to new gear
3) gas to increase revs
4) release clutch and let it work if you're not perfect (don't worry, it's normal)

If you're good with it, you can do 3 and 4 almost at the same time.
Last edited by Squint on Fri May 25, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Here is what I do. Lets say I am going from 4th to 3rd. I push clutch in, (this means I release gas aswell). Next I move the selector from 4 to 3 all while keeping the clutch pushed in, so no double clutch fanciness going on. While moving the gear lever I just blip the gas and release the clutch when its in 3rd gear. It takes some getting used to and I have problems with it a majority of the time. But when you do get it right its like a whoa type of moment.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
mande110
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mande110 »

thanks for all the help, but i was actually talking about upshifting lol. sorry i wasn't clear its mostly my 1-2upshift the rpms drop so fast i can't let the clutch out quick enough before the revs drop back to idle. so hopefully mu first post makes sense for upshifting lol sorry
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

mande110 wrote:thanks for all the help, but i was actually talking about upshifting lol. sorry i wasn't clear its mostly my 1-2upshift the rpms drop so fast i can't let the clutch out quick enough before the revs drop back to idle. so hopefully mu first post makes sense for upshifting lol sorry
What I said applies for either direction: upshifting or downshifting. I would try getting back on the gas before releasing the clutch and see if you can find the right timing/pressure that way to offset your rpms dropping.

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

mande110 wrote: im basically shifting as fast as humanly possible
That doesn't sound bad to me. In a car whose transmission is good for that, that's how I shift...flick it into gear and get back to accelerating. No need to dawdle.
I have been reading you need to apply gas in between shifts, but where do apply the gas.
This is going to vary from one car to the next, from one driver to the next. All you need to do is experiment. Make a list of your possible options and try each one until you think you've got the right one, or try each one for a while until you make it work.

Try not to think about it too much. Thinking about it makes it worse.

Your most likely technique will be something like this:
2. shift into next gear
3. let out clutch / get back on gas [simultaneously; see-saw motion]

In other words, instead of applying gas during the shift as a separate motion from applying gas to accelerate after the shift, just move your existing application of gas earlier, edging it earlier each time you try until you get it early enough.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

mande110 wrote:thanks for all the help, but i was actually talking about upshifting lol. sorry i wasn't clear its mostly my 1-2upshift the rpms drop so fast i can't let the clutch out quick enough before the revs drop back to idle. so hopefully mu first post makes sense for upshifting lol sorry
Sorry I just noticed that when I went to check up on the question. So sorry.

What RPMs do you shift at? I noticed to shift quick in my car you need to rev the car up so you can shift quickly, and when you drive relaxed you can shift at lower rpms.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

see saw motion
be aggressive with the gas pedal
that's how i got my 1-2 shifts smooth
i apply gas right at the binding zone
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
Maggiolone
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Maggiolone »

theholycow wrote:
Try not to think about it too much. Thinking about it makes it worse.

Your most likely technique will be something like this:
2. shift into next gear
3. let out clutch / get back on gas [simultaneously; see-saw motion]

In other words, instead of applying gas during the shift as a separate motion from applying gas to accelerate after the shift, just move your existing application of gas earlier, edging it earlier each time you try until you get it early enough.
Phew; I've been using this see-saw technique since I began driving a manual over a year ago. I always was wondering if I should throttle a bit whit the clutch still engaging, or wait for it to engage then immediately gas off.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Maggiolone wrote:Phew; I've been using this see-saw technique since I began driving a manual over a year ago. I always was wondering if I should throttle a bit whit the clutch still engaging, or wait for it to engage then immediately gas off.
There's always a little bit of see-saw going on if you are trying to be smooth. It happens. :D

For Pony!
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

double clutch from 5th to 3rd
dump clutch
break neck
profit
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

Instead of separating everything, as mentioned, blend. In addition to what others have said about see-sawing the gas/clutch, I like to put just a little pressure on the shifter in the direction it's going to go. That way, as soon as torque releases the gears I can feel it and move the shifter. That goes for light flywheel sporty import cars, muscle cars, econoboxes, light trucks, heavy trucks w/ diesel, etc.

All in all, it'll come with practice. Just be patient.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5