1>2 shift

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Re: 1>2 shift

Post by MFan »

tankinbeans wrote:Now I want a 0 gear! :D
0 = N :lol:
2008 BMW MCoupe
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Now I want a 0 gear! :D
There's not enough room on shift knob diagrams for "10", so 10th gear is labeled 0. The really interesting bit, though, is that when you wind out zeroth gear you end up at a stop and can engage first again. Einstein's theory of relativity predicts it, and the gear ratio is a multiple of the Planck constant, resulting in a ratio system that is best diagrammed as a Möbius strip:

These are notoriously difficult to manufacture because of a difficult material to make. The necessary iron ion needs spooky action at a distance to bind with deuterium before it can become the material that can be used for such gears. The necessary quantum weirdness is just too expensive.
But wouldn't we also need to consider Schrödinger's Cat:
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi347.htm
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:But wouldn't we also need to consider Schrödinger's Cat:
Zeroth gear IS Schrödinger's gear. If you're not sure whether you're stopped or moving, shift into it and find out.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
Zeroth gear IS Schrödinger's gear. If you're not sure whether you're stopped or moving, shift into it and find out.
But.. are we ever really stopped, man? I mean, man, do we like, ever really know about the earth moving, man?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:But.. are we ever really stopped, man? I mean, man, do we like, ever really know about the earth moving, man?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:
But.. are we ever really stopped, man? I mean, man, do we like, ever really know about the earth moving, man?
***scratches beard***

I know a few people I'd like to be on the business end of an Earth that screeched to a halt, just make sure you grab hold of something tightly because that could get awkward.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I know a few people I'd like to be on the business end of an Earth that screeched to a halt, just make sure you grab hold of something tightly because that could get awkward.
Things are getting a little rough on the bridge Captain. I recommend we come down out of warp speed.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:
We can't stop. It's too dangerous. We've got to slow down first.
MidnightDrive94
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MidnightDrive94 »

In order to make the transition between 1st to 2nd gear, it's best to apply a small amount of throttle simultaneously whilst slowly releasing the clutch which will allow you to not only have a smoother shift but also a much quicker transition! Just don't give too much gas.
echardcore
Junior Standardshifter

Post by echardcore »

RESOLVED!!!

I had my clutch bled at the dealer against the tech's recommendations a few months ago and I haven't ha the problem since!!! So happy. I can smoothly transition into any gear and driving is much more pleasurable now. Shifting is more predictable and I know when it is going to grab unlike before. I just hope I didn't have premature clutch wear.

I still have the whirring sound when cold that goes away after a mile or so. I read this is the throwout bearing and that it is normal and don't think I am going to persue this noise.
2011 WRX Sedan
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

echardcore wrote:RESOLVED!!!

I had my clutch bled at the dealer against the tech's recommendations a few months ago and I haven't ha the problem since!!! So happy. I can smoothly transition into any gear and driving is much more pleasurable now. Shifting is more predictable and I know when it is going to grab unlike before. I just hope I didn't have premature clutch wear.

I still have the whirring sound when cold that goes away after a mile or so. I read this is the throwout bearing and that it is normal and don't think I am going to persue this noise.
In daze of old
when nights were cold,
and rubbers weren't invented,......
A clearance was maintained between the tips of the fingers of the clutch cover diaphragm spring and the face of the clutch release bearing. Initial application of foot to the clutch release pedal closed this gap.
In these modern times, there is no gap - the face of the bearing is in constant contact with the spring tips. Sometimes, if the preload is low, or the bearing lube is thick, or......., then the bearing face can spin at a different rate than the clutch cover and a noise is borne. It seems like some effort could have been taken to make the face of the bearing positively engage with the spring tips so there would never be a potential for this relative motion, but being the only OEM to request this feature would be like being a salmon swimming upstream during the spring thaw rush.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:

In daze of old
when nights were cold,
and rubbers weren't invented,......
A clearance was maintained between the tips of the fingers of the clutch cover diaphragm spring and the face of the clutch release bearing. Initial application of foot to the clutch release pedal closed this gap.
In these modern times, there is no gap - the face of the bearing is in constant contact with the spring tips. Sometimes, if the preload is low, or the bearing lube is thick, or......., then the bearing face can spin at a different rate than the clutch cover and a noise is borne. It seems like some effort could have been taken to make the face of the bearing positively engage with the spring tips so there would never be a potential for this relative motion, but being the only OEM to request this feature would be like being a salmon swimming upstream during the spring thaw rush.
Rope's poetry is wonderful. Can we get a published book at some point?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
echardcore
Junior Standardshifter

Post by echardcore »

Had to come back here and post an update.

The issue wasn't actually resolved. One day this tarted happening.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH4JP0LxbWg[/youtube]
Ignore the socks.

I was in shock but at the same time I was happy because now I had some proof.
Long story short...
The dealer goodwilled a bunch of clutch parts.
"TRANS BELL HOUSING REMOVED TRANS CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING WORN INTO PRESSURE PLATE RELEASE BEARING LOCKING UP REPLACED RELEASE BEARING & CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE REASSEMBLE ROAD TEST OK AT THIS TIME"

I also had them swap the disc since they were in there. The old disc looked fine and had plenty of meat.

The car is night and day. So much more fun to drive. I can actually now slip the clutch properly. It feels a little lighter. No whirring. No noises at all.
2011 WRX Sedan
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

echardcore wrote:

Had to come back here and post an update.

The issue wasn't actually resolved. One day this tarted happening.

Ignore the socks.

I was in shock but at the same time I was happy because now I had some proof.
Long story short...
The dealer goodwilled a bunch of clutch parts.
"TRANS BELL HOUSING REMOVED TRANS CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING WORN INTO PRESSURE PLATE RELEASE BEARING LOCKING UP REPLACED RELEASE BEARING & CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE REASSEMBLE ROAD TEST OK AT THIS TIME"

I also had them swap the disc since they were in there. The old disc looked fine and had plenty of meat.

The car is night and day. So much more fun to drive. I can actually now slip the clutch properly. It feels a little lighter. No whirring. No noises at all.
Fickset