Its starting to become second nature.

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Its starting to become second nature.

Post by kayubassist »

it's all about preference.
even in an automatic car, driving in dress shoes is weird. the bottom is so hard and pressing pedals feels weird.
of course I can drive in different shoes and adjust whatever is needed. sure I have occasional shudders and/or revs up to 2k when I change my shoes and drive but they are manageable.
I should have said better (or differently), I don't mean impossible to drive, but just not pleasant to drive and therefore I don't change my shoes.
1. sloppy gear changes make me feel bad 2. driving is not fun
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Nermin///M3 wrote:When i left my home today it was not snowing much i thought this will go a way and took my M3 to work, but now weather forecast is saying 2-4in of snow. On my M3 i still have the 19 OEM Sport tires. I will have to use all my skills today and take the corners slow on my way home.

Nermin
I attempted to drive my old M3 up my driveway (which is on a slight incline) in about an inch of snow one time. The traction was virtually nonexistant, so it was the first and last time I ever tried that. Those cars really need proper tires to drive in snow.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Drove my LS2 GTO on summer performance times home from work in 3 inches of snow over iced roadways.

Yeah... then I parked it for the winter and bought a beater.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

I wear these most days: Dr. Scholls Winders
But occasionally we get heavy snow and I end up driving in these: Sorel Caribous

The clutch definitely lacks feel in the boots, but I don't really have any issues as far as stalling or spinning the tires goes.
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

After 5 weeks I am still driving in my stocking feet. This means I am wearing backless sandals even in winter so they they are easy to slip on and off, but I don't mind. I enjoy driving this way. I also do not have the radio on for now so I can listen to the car. They do make special thin-soled "driving shoes", or you could use ballet or dance shoes. I guess at some point I will have to graduate to driving with shoes but right now would rather not. 8)
2012 Honda Fit 5MT!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Fit4Fun wrote:After 5 weeks I am still driving in my stocking feet. This means I am wearing backless sandals even in winter so they they are easy to slip on and off, but I don't mind. I enjoy driving this way. I also do not have the radio on for now so I can listen to the car. They do make special thin-soled "driving shoes", or you could use ballet or dance shoes. I guess at some point I will have to graduate to driving with shoes but right now would rather not. 8)
ever try driving without anything on your feet?? i think that would be easy in the fit (light pedals i assume) and it's a more direct connection with the pedals (you feel what's going on down there much more).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:ever try driving without anything on your feet?? i think that would be easy in the fit (light pedals i assume) and it's a more direct connection with the pedals (you feel what's going on down there much more).
I like driving barefoot, although in the Buick with the heavy clutch and deep-tread pedal pad it can be a bit much.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I'm really surprised by this....choice of footwear (or lack thereof) really does seem to be important to a lot of manual trans drivers. I talked to my G35 friend and he just gave me a big "I told you so!" and then laughed.
Nermin///M3
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Nermin///M3 »

Shadow wrote:
Nermin///M3 wrote:When i left my home today it was not snowing much i thought this will go a way and took my M3 to work, but now weather forecast is saying 2-4in of snow. On my M3 i still have the 19 OEM Sport tires. I will have to use all my skills today and take the corners slow on my way home.

Nermin
I attempted to drive my old M3 up my driveway (which is on a slight incline) in about an inch of snow one time. The traction was virtually nonexistant, so it was the first and last time I ever tried that. Those cars really need proper tires to drive in snow.
Yah i got out of work a little bit earlier yesterday to get a head of the snow storm and traffic. Made home in one peace :D

I have a set of winter tires for my M3 i just been lazy on putting them on. I didn't plan on driving the car in snow this winter, so i left the Sports on, but yesterday was a wake up call, i took the corner going probably 20mph and the car would not turn. I will put the winter tires on over the weekend, should comfy the ride a little bit and give more traction.
Nermin - BMW E46 M3 2004 - 6MT
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

potownrob wrote:ever try driving without anything on your feet?? i think that would be easy in the fit (light pedals i assume) and it's a more direct connection with the pedals (you feel what's going on down there much more).
Yes, stocking feet is essentially barefoot. I don't wear the sandals while in the car. This is how I learned to drive the MT so now shoeless has become my "security blanket". :lol:
2012 Honda Fit 5MT!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

potownrob wrote:
Fit4Fun wrote:They do make special thin-soled "driving shoes", or you could use ballet or dance shoes. I guess at some point I will have to graduate to driving with shoes but right now would rather not.
Driving shoes are amazing. I switched to them a couple years ago and now they're all I ever wear. I invite you to read through my review of the Pilotis I still wear daily:

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 31&t=11947
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

RITmusic2k wrote:Driving shoes are amazing. I switched to them a couple years ago and now they're all I ever wear. I invite you to read through my review of the Pilotis I still wear daily:

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 31&t=11947
Haha, that is a great review RITmusic2k! Thanks and I will be keeping the Pilotis in mind. When I looked at driving shoes and Capezio dance shoes online that was the problem, it is hard to find something that can double as an everyday or walking shoe too.
2012 Honda Fit 5MT!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k wrote: Driving shoes are amazing.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

looks like nice leather lol
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
RITmusic2k wrote: Driving shoes is amazing.
Fickset
Fickset so the grammar is correct for your picture.