Clutch pedal slow to move in very cold weather

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Clutch pedal slow to move in very cold weather

Post by mikebai1990 »

Just got my 2010 Mazda3 a week or so ago, so haven't driven it in all types of conditions yet. Yesterday, temperature was pretty low, probably around 15 degrees F, and I noticed that in the first 10/15 minutes of driving, the clutch pedal was noticeably "sticky", in the sense that the pedal was slow to spring up and press down. It didn't prevent me from driving, but I did have to adjust to the different feel of the clutch pedal response. After some driving, it definitely got better. Is this something to be expected under cold weather conditions?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Clutch pedal slow to move in very cold weather

Post by AHTOXA »

Yes. I've found via owning different manual cars that some cars are more susceptible to this than others. My '06 GTO was very prone to having the case of a stiff/mushy clutch on cold mornings. A few minutes cleared it up. Other cars were to a much smaller degree.

Edit: in my case, this surfaced at a lower temperature. I usually would notice when it got down to low teens and single digits. However, my case was also likely to be more severe, where it required 3-4 clutch pumps to feel improvement before I even started moving.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've noticed this in my car too. The other day our first subzero morning -14F my clutch started being very firm, not heavy but there was very noticeable feedback. I found it easier to drive my car then.

Perhaps this was a little bit psychosomatic and that I may have been imagining things. Maybe it was because it was forcing myself to slow down that helped.

I tend to think that my actions when trying to start smoothly are performed a lot more slowly than they really are.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!