Shifter notchiness going from first to second

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Shifter notchiness going from first to second

Post by theholycow »

It happens to everyone, we're all human. It's fine. The gearbox is designed to be operated by imperfect humans.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

theholycow wrote:It happens to everyone, we're all human. It's fine. The gearbox is designed to be operated by imperfect humans.
I hope my gearbox is designed to be operated by imperfect-all-the-time human.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

tankinbeans wrote:My problem with trying to double clutch is that I always forget clutching in again and get the happy grindy sound. :oops:

My solution to this problem was to stop thinking of Neutral as some sort of non-gear between all the real ones, and start thinking of it as 'the rev-matching gear'.

So, if you want a rev-matched double-clutched shift from one gear to another, you just shift completely into your rev-matching gear, then you rev match. When you're done rev matching, you shift into your destination gear.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

RITmusic2k wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:My problem with trying to double clutch is that I always forget clutching in again and get the happy grindy sound. :oops:

My solution to this problem was to stop thinking of Neutral as some sort of non-gear between all the real ones, and start thinking of it as 'the rev-matching gear'.

So, if you want a rev-matched double-clutched shift from one gear to another, you just shift completely into your rev-matching gear, then you rev match. When you're done rev matching, you shift into your destination gear.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I'll have to play around with it so I can master a new skill. One thing at a time though. I was trying it a little on lunch, and was doing okay, but the pace with which I complete my shift isn't there yet. Another thing I'm working on, sometimes, is heel-toe, but I have to try ball-ball where half of the ball of the foot is on the brake and half is on the gas. That is still a trip and I stink at it. :)

Kayuba, you can't be that bad. I've met plenty of imperfect humans in my life who think they are perfect. You sound more on the ball than they are. :)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:It happens to everyone, we're all human. It's fine. The gearbox is designed to be operated by imperfect humans.
Thanks. It happened again today. I was not happy, but sh...stuff happens. Live and learn...then get Luvs.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

tankinbeans wrote:Kayuba, you can't be that bad. I've met plenty of imperfect humans in my life who think they are perfect. You sound more on the ball than they are. :)
inconsistency is my enemy lol
some days I think oh yeah!! this is manual!!!!!!
some days I think about how I could have enjoyed this car much more if I had got automatic. :(
and I hate hearing small clicks and clunks here and there when driving.

one day, there were lots of cars on my way home and I was just praying that I could get home with no problem.
I pulled into my driveway, and I was so relieved and let my left foot off the clutch without shifting into neutral. heavy bucking stall. lol.
thankfully though, our family is moving in december to a different neighbourhood where there is less hill.
but it's still called xxxx mountain... ugh
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

kayubassist wrote:and I hate hearing small clicks and clunks here and there when driving.
I pulled into my driveway, and I was so relieved and let my left foot off the clutch without shifting into neutral. heavy bucking stall. lol.
Been there done that a few times.

Also have started the car, totally forgotten to step on the clutch, and shifted...I think I've done that twice.

shiftmate
Junior Standardshifter

Post by shiftmate »

I was paying a bit more attention to the resistance in shifting from 1st to 2nd. It seems that if I wait and let the RPMs drop more than I've been doing, the gearbox lets me slip in easily. Likewise, if I upshift into 2nd earlier, it's an easy shift. What I've been doing that results in shifter resistance is getting up to ~3k RPM in 1st and then shifting.

If I do the upshift early (and smoothly, since no resistance), I'm barely moving when I shift and traffic is right on my ass. Maybe I need to learn to execute the shift quicker at this point to minimize the throttle-off time so I can get a decently quick but smooth acceleration from full stops.
2001 Honda Accord
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

shiftmate wrote:Maybe I need to learn to execute the shift quicker at this point to minimize the throttle-off time so I can get a decently quick but smooth acceleration from full stops.
That's how I operate (in a modern vehicle; my Buick is a very different animal). Get rolling in 1st, lightning-fast clutch work and flick shift into 2nd, minimal interruption to acceleration.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:lightning-fast
Yes Cow-Man, Lightning fast. - Tonto
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Charles421
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe, 6MT

Post by Charles421 »

shiftmate wrote:I was paying a bit more attention to the resistance in shifting from 1st to 2nd. It seems that if I wait and let the RPMs drop more than I've been doing, the gearbox lets me slip in easily. Likewise, if I upshift into 2nd earlier, it's an easy shift. What I've been doing that results in shifter resistance is getting up to ~3k RPM in 1st and then shifting.

If I do the upshift early (and smoothly, since no resistance), I'm barely moving when I shift and traffic is right on my ass. Maybe I need to learn to execute the shift quicker at this point to minimize the throttle-off time so I can get a decently quick but smooth acceleration from full stops.
Sounds like a timing issue for you. I have to do the same thing with my car - patience is the key between the 1 > 2 upshift. I bring the revs to 4,000, clutch in, wait what feels like an unusually long time (probably between 1 - 1.5 seconds), then engage second and let the clutch out as I normally would.

Something else you could try is shifting at a higher RPM. It feels natural to me to shift at 4,000; I suppose that's because I have a 7,000 redline.

Best of luck with your car. You've joined a select crowd. I had some similar thoughts when I got my car "oh if I just got an auto, I'd have more enjoyment" - now I don't know how I would enjoy this car without the standard transmission.
2011 BMW E92 335i: Le Mans Blue, M Sport, 6MT w/ CDV Mod, BMW Performance Exhaust + Style 269 19" Wheels
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

RITmusic2k wrote:

That's an interesting way to think of it, Kev. It does make sense if one's trying to grasp the concept.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

I found it useful because it removes the intimidation factor: "I have to do HOW many things in the middle of this shift?!". If you already know how to single-clutch shift, then you can see that that's all you're doing, twice. Piece o' cake :wink:
Charles421
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe, 6MT

Post by Charles421 »

That's a great way to think about it - the rev-matching gear. I'll have to remember that.
2011 BMW E92 335i: Le Mans Blue, M Sport, 6MT w/ CDV Mod, BMW Performance Exhaust + Style 269 19" Wheels