hard stall, loud disturbing noise.

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
gambitkl
Junior Standardshifter

hard stall, loud disturbing noise.

Post by gambitkl »

Hello all,

I'm quite new to manual transmission cars and bought myself a 2011 subaru wrx to learn on :lol: (Didn't want to waste money in buying a beater to learn on). Anyways, I'm looking to hopefully ease my mind a bit. The first couple of days I had the car, I stalled it pretty badly a few times. These weren't the typical quiet engine stalls. These caused the car to jerk pretty hard and cause an extremely loud and unpleasant "clunk/bang" noise. Sounded kind of like something massive dropped and shifted inside the hood.

I've since gotten the hang of driving it a lot more and hardly stall now. The car seems to drive fine (although I'm not too much of a technical car guy to tell otherwise).

I was wondering, did I cause any major damage to the car and is it something that I should get checked out?

Thanks!
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: hard stall, loud disturbing noise.

Post by FDSpirit »

Sounds like a bucking bronco :lol: . Nothing to be worried about.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Could have been the clutch damper bottoming out. Could have been the exhaust system clanging into something. Could have been the powertrain mounts bottoming out. Probably something as simple as the engine falling out.
Whatever it was, it's nothing to worry about.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Welcome to the club. Loud bangy stalls are always fun.

Re: Rope-pusher's comment; you did make sure the engine was still there and that the guinea pigs (they're used in the high performance engines - my car came with a couple of hamsters and a bit of an apple) weren't too shaken up after your stall correct? I'm thinking it's pretty easy to tell if the engine cuts and runs. :mrgreen: 8)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

I had many of those but I want to believe that I didn't do any damage to my car since rpm was very low like less than 2000.
maybe I will replace engine mounts, transmission mounts and cv boots down the road but for now I don't worry about them.
I am a noob myself and I got to the point where I don't even care about occasional loud slipping noise from clutch and clicks and clunks when shifting.
I just wish I lived somewhere there are no hills. (people in my neighbourhood area tend to replace brake bads more often than other people who live on flat grounds according to my service advisor)
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

One loud bang stall is nothing. When I was new, I've driven into gas stations while going too slow for 2nd. The engine was on the edge of stalling, banging continuously as the engine misfired. Took me 2 seconds to put my left foot on the clutch.
kayubassist wrote:I just wish I lived somewhere there are no hills. (people in my neighbourhood area tend to replace brake bads more often than other people who live on flat grounds according to my service advisor)
Those people who visit their service advisors with their brake problems don't know anything about their transmission settings besides PRND. Downshift and let the engine do majority of the braking like you should and those brakes should have a normal service life.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

kayubassist wrote:I had many of those but I want to believe that I didn't do any damage to my car since rpm was very low like less than 2000.
maybe I will replace engine mounts, transmission mounts and cv boots down the road but for now I don't worry about them.
Don't replace them until they fail.

If you did damage, you'd know it already.
scionkid wrote:Those people who visit their service advisors with their brake problems don't know anything about their transmission settings besides PRND. Downshift and let the engine do majority of the braking like you should and those brakes should have a normal service life.
Meh. Brake pads are about the cheapest thing on the whole car to replace. Engine braking is great for mountain descents but as the hills get shorter it becomes (with good form) impractical or (with bad form) even counterproductive.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD