Driving Stick Clutchless?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.

Is Driving Clutchless Good for the Car(if done right)?

Yes
10%
No
76%
Have No Idea...
14%

Total votes: 21

CtNxFLeX
Junior Standardshifter

Driving Stick Clutchless?

Post by CtNxFLeX »

Hey you guys, I've heard about driving manual(changing gears) without engaging the clutch. I want to try it out for experience and have heard from friends that have tried it, something I'm willing to try out and maybe master.

But my question is, is it okay for the car even if I'm doing it right? There's a reason for a clutch and thats why we use it, but I just want to know from people who have experience or know more knowledge about this topic.

I just got my first new Manual car and want to try it out. Any recommendations on do's and donts? Thanks

Felix Lin
Dongoesby
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Dongoesby »

hum, F-1 cars...
We all born with nothing, and we still have most of it.
andymcgav
Senior Standardshifter

Post by andymcgav »

ahh i can't see why normal drivers on a manual would try this. if you dont wanna use your left foot get an automatic or manumatic, lol.
CtNxFLeX
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CtNxFLeX »

andymcgav wrote:ahh i can't see why normal drivers on a manual would try this. if you dont wanna use your left foot get an automatic or manumatic, lol.
lol, very true. I know i know, BUT, the reason why I want to know is because its always nice to know something more than the average stick driver you know? I'm also in the middle of getting use to heel and toe, so... yeah. I'm very excited to find this website, never knew it existed till today, but my passion in driving stick and knowing a lot of driving techniques is something I really desire.
ltkpn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ltkpn »

Is that your new car in your avatar? I wouldn't mess it up practicing clutchless shifting.

That being said. I did it a couple of times myself on downshifts when I was practicing my double clutching and concentrating so much on the rev. matching part that I was forgetting to clutch in for the second time. The gear popped in perfectly because I had done a pretty good job with the rev. match.

And if you want to talk about heel & toe, I'm the guy...
If you can't heel-toe, it isn't a car.
CtNxFLeX
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CtNxFLeX »

ltkpn wrote:Is that your new car in your avatar? I wouldn't mess it up practicing clutchless shifting.

That being said. I did it a couple of times myself on downshifts when I was practicing my double clutching and concentrating so much on the rev. matching part that I was forgetting to clutch in for the second time. The gear popped in perfectly because I had done a pretty good job with the rev. match.

And if you want to talk about heel & toe, I'm the guy...
Yup, thats my car, G35 6speed 04. The 05 has 33 more hp! argh, but i got a very cheap leasing deal on it + its fully loaded! :)

Anywhos, so you do know how to do clutchless!? You gotta help me out on that and heel and toe and the clutchless technique. I've tried heal and toe a few times, but its really hard unless you brake hard, thats the only way i could reach my heel to the accelerater. Or is it just my car? I know my cousin with the RSX type S can do it with no problem. :?

Anywhos, any help would be great. THANK YOu!

Oh by the way, how come everyone's avator is much bigger!? is it because i'm new? 80x80 4kb :cry:
ltkpn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ltkpn »

Clutchless is a piece of cake IF you can rev. match perfectly as I've done (by mistake) on downshifts and would happen on upshifts IF you let off the gas just the right amount. If you really want to try it, I suggest first practicing double clutch rev. match downshifts. When you're really comfortable, you can drop the clutching since thr first clutch in/clutch out (into neutral) is not really necessary and the second clutch in/clutch out won't be required WHEN you rev. match perfectly.

As for heel & toe, I also thought at first that my car pedal layout wasn't good for it. Yet, with perseverance, I now double clutch-heel toe each time I brake. I take pleasure in doing it in sequence as in 5-4, 4-3, 3-2. In fact I sometimes accelerate and upshift before a turn so that I may do my multiple double clutch heel toes when I start braking.

This video is a treasure for anyone wanting to master DCHT (double clutch-heel toe).
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

You yank the stick out of gear by easing off of the go pedal. As soon as the engine stop transmitting power, the binding force on the stick is removed and the stick can pop into neutral. Then you tug the stick "lightly" against the new gear until the engine, thus the input shaft's, speed matches that of the new gear. Then the synchro will let you shift into the new gear. But when you're tuging the stick against the new gear, you're rubbing on the synchro hard. They'll eventually wear out and you don't have synchronizer.

Truckers do shift w/o clutching. They jam the stick in gear when the engine is spinning at the right speed. But it is much easier for them because most truck engine redlines at 3k. It is harder to match rev when your G's engine is spinning at 5k.

Think about catching a baseball. If your hand moves slightly slower than the speed of the ball, it won't hurt much. You can catch a baseball that's rolling on the ground with your bare hand. I doubt you'll catch a pitch with your bare hand.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

CtNxFLeX wrote:Oh by the way, how come everyone's avator is much bigger!? is it because i'm new? 80x80 4kb :cry:
I don't think so because I am having 80x80 4kb also.
CtNxFLeX
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CtNxFLeX »

ltkpn wrote:
This video is a treasure for anyone wanting to master DCHT (double clutch-heel toe).
Oh my goooddnesss... :shock: That video was crazy. Was that a STI or a regular WRX? Must be a STI, lol. That freakin car took soo much abuse, besides that... geeez, it looked like he was trying to kill a rat behind his clutch, he pumped that thing like theres no tomorrow :!:

Um... sooo yeah... looks like I'll never learn how to do that, and I'm not sure when I'm going to need that technique unless i'm on a race track? :?

Anywhos... looks really complicated. Is it possible to teach me through text? Cause... i think its a hands on type of thing and reading from text is not going to do it... maybe I should just give up?

Oh by the way, if your reading this, how did you get your avator so big? seems like coolguy and me is missing out on the forum secret :wink:
ltkpn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ltkpn »

CtNxFLeX wrote:
ltkpn wrote:
Oh my goooddnesss... :shock: That video was crazy. Was that a STI or a regular WRX? Must be a STI, lol. That freakin car took soo much abuse, besides that... geeez, it looked like he was trying to kill a rat behind his clutch, he pumped that thing like theres no tomorrow :!:
Well, it sure looked like that to me in September when I started working on it, but I now have it pretty close to how he does it when he DCHTs 5-4, 4-3, 3-2 before a turn. I'll post my own video soon.

I'm trying not to abuse my Honda and it doesn't seem to me that he's abusing his WRX of the video. He's just rev-ing it high like it's made for and he's double clutching on every downshift which isn't bad for the car.
CtNxFLeX wrote: Oh by the way, if your reading this, how did you get your avator so big? seems like coolguy and me is missing out on the forum secret :wink:
You could get a 1GB avatar in if you tried. The 80x80 4kb limit is enforced through the honor system. So there are some slight abuses. Most keep it in the 5-20kb range though. The admin. might disable yours if they found it takes too much screen real estate...

Back to DCHT and clutchless, if you feel the guy in the video treats his WRX too harshly, maybe you shouldn't try clutchless in your G35. 8) Why did you choose that car BTW? Isn't it mostly a choice of older people (like me)?
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

if there is a clutch pedal then it's there for a reason.. use it
CtNxFLeX
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CtNxFLeX »

ltkpn wrote:
Back to DCHT and clutchless, if you feel the guy in the video treats his WRX too harshly, maybe you shouldn't try clutchless in your G35. 8) Why did you choose that car BTW? Isn't it mostly a choice of older people (like me)?
Good question. Why did I choose the G35? Well, the specs for my new car would have to be...
Manual, Powerful over 260HP, Sedan, Xeon Lights.

And thats it, and of course additional sound package and moonroof and leather would be nice.

Basically, I was looking at a TL 04-05 6 speed, but the cost was too much for my part time internship, soo, with no luck with even a Maxima 6speed for my price criteria, I thought to call up the Infiniti dealership to see whats available. To my luck and Praise God (cause I actually prayed for this car :D and he provided :!: ) I got this car... Fully loaded, sound leather, moonroof, 6 speed, xeon lights. My gosh, great color and nice rims, better than what I thought. Whole package costs around 37 grand, but since its an 04 and the new 05 model came out, and no one was buying a manual, I got this one =)

The price? 3800 down and 380 monthly for a fully loaded car... an altima price range and cheaper than the Maxima :D

Oh yeah, by the way, its a lease :( So i have to watch out on my miles. I have over 1 thousand as of yesterday night, and i only had the car for less than 3 weeks. I have 14000 miles left to go before the year ends... =X I am in trouble :roll:

Oh and lastly, Hey Reckless, thanks for the tip, i'll keep in mind to use that clutch :wink:
ltkpn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ltkpn »

Well, at least you got what you wanted. I hope that in evaluating your lease you considered, behind the length of the lease, the residual value and the interest rate.... :roll:

And what kind of intern are you, if I may ask?
CtNxFLeX
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CtNxFLeX »

ltkpn wrote:Well, at least you got what you wanted. I hope that in evaluating your lease you considered, behind the length of the lease, the residual value and the interest rate.... :roll:

And what kind of intern are you, if I may ask?
Yeah, we considered that, its a 3 year lease, 36 months. 3 years! so up to 45 thousand miles which aint bad. And if no other new cars interest me after the 3 years, i'll just return it and buy it used? Supposely the buy it now price after the lease is 21 grand, but if no one buys it after returning it, the value of the used car would be maybe 18 or less and save more $$ :P But the only problem with keeping it is... I didn't wait for the"break-in" period. I was too anxious in the new car and its performance... i kinda pushed it a few times the first day, up to 6-7rpm and redline is at 7! gah... that car won't last over 100,000 the way i drive, lol. I'm surprised my Honda CRV 98 is still moving, after driving it for 6 years. :P

But anywhos, yeah, the interest rate is between 1-2%, thats how the montly payments are so low.

I thought either the car was messed up or used, but it was brand new, only 12 miles, so nothing was wrong with it. So pretty good deal? I guess, i thought it was steal :D

About my internship, its a Entreprenural/Business Internship, called the Kauffman Internship Program? Not sure if you ever heard of it. I currently work for a company doing ebay and little stuff. I'm working at the moment. Gets a little boring, so I just study or go surf the web, and thats how I found StandardShift.com

Thats my life story of how I found StandardShift.com :lol:

Why do you ask? are you also a college student? I"m thinking not since you did say "you are older..."?