Advice needed - new manual driver with abrupt/grabby clutch

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Advice needed - new manual driver with abrupt/grabby clu

Post by theholycow »

zaf wrote:Dose this kind of rev hang happen individually or will all hyundai elantra of that model have that?
If the car is working properly then all of the same-equipped same year same model will have it. Differently equipped models (mainly those with different engine or transmission) may not.

Also, rev hang may depend on the exact conditions. For example, my VW's rev hang went away when the car was cold, first thing in the morning. At low RPM it didn't seem to hang at all. So, if you ask another driver about their car and they drive differently or are in a different climate or some other condition is different they may not experience rev hang.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
zaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zaf »

theholycow wrote:
zaf wrote:Dose this kind of rev hang happen individually or will all hyundai elantra of that model have that?
If the car is working properly then all of the same-equipped same year same model will have it. Differently equipped models (mainly those with different engine or transmission) may not.

Also, rev hang may depend on the exact conditions. For example, my VW's rev hang went away when the car was cold, first thing in the morning. At low RPM it didn't seem to hang at all. So, if you ask another driver about their car and they drive differently or are in a different climate or some other condition is different they may not experience rev hang.

I hate rev hang, haha

I was surprised that VW rabbit which is a quite sporty hatchback also has rev hang
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

A lot of cars do. Most people probably don't notice it though. We(manual drivers) rely much more on throttle input, so we'd notice much quicker than the average Joe. My mom's Avalon has a funky gas pedal. I pushed it to the floor and the tach needle didn't even move for a good second or two. She doesn't notice it and neither does anyone else. She thinks I'm crazy. :lol:
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

FD, isn't what you're describing more throttle lag than rev hang?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

they usually come hand in hand in badly designed DBW vehicles. or so i've experienced
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Yeah. That's the term I'm looking for. :lol:
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Throttle lag: Whatever you do with the accelerator, it takes a portion of a second or even a couple seconds to happen. Most DBW cars are likely to have this as the computer measures your input, decides what to do with it, makes sure you still want it, and then operates the throttle.

Torque converter lag (in an automatic only, of course): You step on the accelerator and the engine speeds up but the vehicle doesn't go for a portion of a second or even a couple seconds. People install high-stall torque converters to get this so they can spool up some power. I find it quite annoying, I depend on the vehicle going as soon as I get on the gas, especially when jumping out into traffic.

Rev hang: When you take you foot off the accelerator, it sticks at that exact RPM for longer than your normal throttle lag...usually way, way longer. Basically it just acts like you never took your foot off the accelerator and never slows until you load it down so hard (usually by upshifting) that it can't hold that speed. Acts like a stuck throttle.

Heavy flywheel / engine deceleration slowed by computer: When you take your foot off the accelerator the RPM drops slowly (but it does drop, even if very slowly). If the effect is 100% consistent then it's probably a heavy flywheel, but if it gets worse and better (randomly or depending on conditions) then it's the computer. Really, even a very heavy flywheel (53 pounds in my 4.1 liter V6) doesn't affect your rate of engine deceleration much.

What makes us happy: When you step on the accelerator the engine begins accelerating; when you remove your foot from the accelerator the engine begins decelerating and decelerates at whatever rate the flywheel allows.

Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

theholycow wrote:Throttle lag: Whatever you do with the accelerator, it takes a portion of a second or even a couple seconds to happen. Most DBW cars are likely to have this as the computer measures your input, decides what to do with it, makes sure you still want it, and then operates the throttle.
On most cars, throttle lag can be tuned out completely, or at least so much that it would be imperceptible to even the most discriminating driver. So I don't think it's an issue of time, meaning that it just takes too long for the PCM to translate pedal position into throttle opening, it's more of the way the vehicle is tuned from the factory in the first place. I prefer a very sensitive throttle, but unfortunately they don't all come that way from the factory.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Shadow wrote:On most cars, throttle lag can be tuned out completely, or at least so much that it would be imperceptible to even the most discriminating driver.
Indeed, that's what I've heard from people who've had tunes. I assume that the lag is added on purpose to smooth out accelerator pedal input and make sure that the driver really intended to step on it.

Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

the only throttle lag I get in my car is when idling in gear and stepping on it. Above idling, response is quasi immediate. Wonder why... anything to do with DFCO?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

If you're in DFCO you're not idling, you're well above idle...closed throttle =/= idle. I agree that your lag is probably related to DFCO.

gear323
Junior Standardshifter

Post by gear323 »

Guys,

For those of you that have a Volkswagen car with the 2.0T engine and have rev hang or throttle sticking issues, you may want to check out or sign the petition that is online.

You can get to the Volkswagen petition here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... -rpm-hang/

There are also some Youtube videos you can watch of the issue on a 2013 VW CC 2.0T here:
www.youtube.com/user/gear323