Learning a Manual Part of drivers ed???

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.

Manual for drivers ed

YES (required to get licence)
19%
NO (no need to)
12%
YES (offered), But not required for licence
69%
No Opinion
No votes

Total votes: 26

jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Learning a Manual Part of drivers ed???

Post by jcprov21 »

I am looking for some input in this, me any many people think that learning a stick should be part of drivers ed. I am in it it now and sence all the cars we have are autos i am deprived of the chance to learn. It seems to me that driving schools have no need to teach the manual. I think it should be required to get a licence. I have a poll on this so please be honest i am looking for some good answers.
andymcgav
Senior Standardshifter

Post by andymcgav »

Driver's Ed in MA we only get 6 hours of driving under instruction, so if they were trying to teach everyone to drive manual (and there are some pretty stupid people out there) it would pose a problem. Driver's Ed is for learning the rules of the road in my opinion, which type of transmission you use it up to you.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

i really think it is so much better for people to learn stick first. when driving a automatic/tiptonic it will be so much easier...
Mak
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mak »

Well it is harder for some people to learn a manual and some people will never even drive one. So it is easier for them to give them an offer and ask if they wana learn a manual.
andymcgav
Senior Standardshifter

Post by andymcgav »

Yeah if they offered it that would be cool, but it would cost a lot, and you'd need to have many more lessons. I think if you want to go to school to learn stick then look for a specialized school somewhere, cuz they are around (just very very hard to find).
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

ReckLess wrote:i really think it is so much better for people to learn stick first. when driving a automatic/tiptonic it will be so much easier...
Nah. The other way around will be better. And I think both should be offered in driver's ed. Students should be asked if they are interested in learning manual or not. If some are interested, then they should be taught right after every student (including themselves) has mastered automatic. Also they need to be informed there will be extra cost for learning manual.

This way, some students can get the manual driver's education easily and happily, and some instructors can earn more money! A happy median for both parties :mrgreen:.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Oh and for the requirement to get a driver's license------don't bother :lol: :lol:. U will see how many people will get pissed in America. There are just too many people in this country :mrgreen:.

Also, if manual test is required, the automatic driver's ed will be history, and students will pay more and spend much more time for their driver's ed. Not to mention they will need many more instructors to teach-----and again u will see how many people will get pissed in America :lol: :lol:. There are just too many people in this country :mrgreen:.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

coolguy wrote:
ReckLess wrote:i really think it is so much better for people to learn stick first. when driving a automatic/tiptonic it will be so much easier...
Nah. The other way around will be better. And I think both should be offered in driver's ed. Students should be asked if they are interested in learning manual or not. If some are interested, then they should be taught right after every student (including themselves) has mastered automatic. Also they need to be informed there will be extra cost for learning manual.

This way, some students can get the manual driver's education easily and happily, and some instructors can earn more money! A happy median for both parties :mrgreen:.
the transition from manual to automatic is easier than automatic to manual..

i have a cousin who enrolled at a driving school.. the instructor teaches her manual first.. then later when the lesson is almost over the instructor let my cuz drove a automatic.. and she said that the automatic is much easier and manual is better...
andymcgav
Senior Standardshifter

Post by andymcgav »

I personally learned on a stick from the start, but for some people learning the rules of the road first without having to worry about a stick helps them make the transition easier.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

the good thing about learning stick first is confidence.. with all the stalling at first.. you don't have to worry later on cause it's very hard to stall an automatic
andymcgav
Senior Standardshifter

Post by andymcgav »

haha yeah in the long run I was happy that I learned in one, cuz I didn't know anything else. Most people these days (mainly Americans) are so lazy though, they just wanna push something and go. Just like bumper cars! :D
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Yeah Reckless, keep in mind that unlike your cousin, a lot of begineer drivers (and even expert drivers) DON'T like to work too much while driving. And unlike your "smart" cousin, a lot of beginner drivers are already scared and confused enough while driving an automatic.

Don't u think we should introduce something simpler first to those who never drove before :wink:?
bushja
Senior Standardshifter

Post by bushja »

Maybe you guys know, but in Europe they have 2 licenses...one for manual and one for auto. Most people take the manual test because if you pass that one you are allowed to drive both auto and stick. If you take just the automatic test you are only licensed to drive automatics. I was lucky...my school had both types and you had to learn on the manual. In a perfect world I think drivers ed should be stick only. That way once a student mastered a manual transmission car an automatic would be a breeze.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Yeah I know and I agree with the 2 types of driver's license. It makes a lot of sense. But I bet 98% of Americans will just take the automatic driver test only :lol:.

And yes, in a perfect world driver's ed maybe stick only. BUT no human is perfect, however, as I mentioned some of the reasons before :wink:. Thererfore, I still favor BOTH types of transmissions should be taught, but let the students decide which 1 to learn in the driver's ed.