Hill Starts by shuffling feet

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
CivicJunkie
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Civic Dx (FA1)

Hill Starts by shuffling feet

Post by CivicJunkie »

Hello im new to this forum and have been driving stick for about 3 months. I was wondering how long has it taken you to be comfortable shuffling your feet on a hill start. I am only comfortable shuffling my feet if the hill is 45 degrees or less, other than than i use the handbrake. So I was just wondering how long has it taken you and maybe what I can do to get better at shuffling my feet on steeper hills.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Re: Hill Starts by shuffling feet

Post by scionkid »

6 years and counting. I still yank the handle when I'm on the steepest hill. I learned to drive on hills in San Francisco, which are similar to those in Vancouver. I wouldn't use feet shuffle on a steep hills.

And I doubt that you'll see any hill steeper than 25 degrees--it isn't physically possible for most cars to go up a 30 degree hill, let alone 45 degrees.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Do you mean off the brake and onto the gas quickly? If that's the case, a month to get it done consistently. Troy is the hilliest area around here, but they aren't steep enough that I'd need to use the e-brake on. Now San Fran otoh...that's a different story. If this isn't the same thing, then disregard.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Go ahead and enjoy your handbrake. It's good for the job.

As you get better at launching quickly and consistently, you'll be more able to do hill launches without using the handbrake.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

honestly cow with hole in it guy, the handbrake it your friend. Whatever fight you've had with it apologize and make up.

I use the handbrake all the time its just so much better, just a regular launch while dropping the handbrake and you are moving.
<3 fwd
CivicJunkie
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CivicJunkie »

Okay thanks. After driving for 3 months, I would think I be able to use the handbrake much less on steeper hills. But even now im still so damn nervous on hills.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

If I ever had to go up a steep incline/hill, I'd use my e-brake. Just use it to be safe. I use it backing out my friends steep ass driveway. Throw it in reverse, proceed with the regular launch procedure, once the car grabs, drop the e-brake and there ya go. Don't stress over it.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

a driving instructor once told me, when coming to a stop the first thing u should do is pull the handbrake up and the last thing you should do when moving is drop the handbrake. Its a perfect system really :P

Although if your handbrake is in a queer location behind the shifter i'll let you off, decent handbrake location makes alot of difference.
<3 fwd
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Bawked wrote: Although if your handbrake is in a queer location behind the shifter i'll let you off, decent handbrake location makes alot of difference.
:P . Mine is located behind the shifter. I never really thought about it until a prior post of yours. It really is an annoying setup for handbrake launches.
CivicJunkie
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CivicJunkie »

FDSpirit wrote:
Bawked wrote: Although if your handbrake is in a queer location behind the shifter i'll let you off, decent handbrake location makes alot of difference.
:P . Mine is located behind the shifter. I never really thought about it until a prior post of yours. It really is an annoying setup for handbrake launches.
Yeah my handbrake is located right beside my shifter so it is really easy to use. But actually my friend can do hill starts on steeper hills i cant do without using my handbrake and he barely rolls back. When i try on the same hill with noone behind me, of course, i roll back alot more than him. Could it be my car? Because it doesnt have much torque especially at low rpms.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

You're gonna have to catch it quick to get minimal rollback. Once you get comfortable with your car's friction point/friction zone, its much easier to do this. I can get my civic to launch at around 1000rpms(not as smooth as I'd like them to be though) on the hills leading to my house. My problem with that though is because I apply the same amount of gas launching as if I were on flat ground.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

If you are used to your clutch you can release it real quick to a point where you can hold the car still on the hill. A mixture of a quick clutch release and some gas gives you barely any rollback. I'm lazy thats why I use the handbrake, i dont have to be quick jumping pedals and such, i just pull out a laxed launch.

Just practice releasing your clutch quicker and you'll be able to put power down quicker than gravity can make you rollback.
<3 fwd
CivicJunkie
Junior Standardshifter

Post by CivicJunkie »

Bawked wrote:If you are used to your clutch you can release it real quick to a point where you can hold the car still on the hill. A mixture of a quick clutch release and some gas gives you barely any rollback. I'm lazy thats why I use the handbrake, i dont have to be quick jumping pedals and such, i just pull out a laxed launch.

Just practice releasing your clutch quicker and you'll be able to put power down quicker than gravity can make you rollback.
Do you mean like a clutch hold? and then once your car is held at the friction point, you add gas?
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I never use the handbrake and I can launch on hills without rolling back barely 3 inches at the most. You just have to know your friction point. Then you are good to go.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

CivicJunkie wrote:
Bawked wrote:If you are used to your clutch you can release it real quick to a point where you can hold the car still on the hill. A mixture of a quick clutch release and some gas gives you barely any rollback. I'm lazy thats why I use the handbrake, i dont have to be quick jumping pedals and such, i just pull out a laxed launch.

Do you mean like a clutch hold? and then once your car is held at the friction point, you add gas?
You don't wanna hold your clutch at the friction point longer than needed. If the light is red and you're in 1st, just leave your clutch floored. Then when the light turns green, clutch up, off the brake onto the gas and go. Although the brake and cltuch application might be used the opposite way. I don't know how I go about it. I just move my feet and stuff happens :lol: . But everyone has made good points. A lot of the members on here have been driving standard for a while and have helped me greatly. They can give you a better description of the processes.
Last edited by FDSpirit on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.