Hill Starts by shuffling feet

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
bde
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Hill Starts by shuffling feet

Post by bde »

45 degrees is a pretty damn steep hill-lol So I'm sure you'd be uncomfortable on anything below 30 degrees, but like everyone said - hand brake is your friend. It might need to be adjusted if the car still continues to roll a bit when you applied it.
Good decisions come from experience -
experience comes from bad decisions...
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Yep. There was a guy on here whose e-brake was f'ed up so bad even on the slightest incline his car would roll back :shock: .
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

paul34 wrote:I had a dream yesterday where I came home to my driveway to find my car rolling back inch by inch out of the garage, like when your handbrake fails and it keep struggling against being in gear (not sure why I wasn't in my car?). So I bumped my car with the car i was in to keep it from moving out of desperation, but there was another car inching out of the garage in the same way, so I pushed my car I was pushing into that car, which was also a car exactly like mine, but everything felt normal in that both cars were mine even though they were the exact same. Then I parked the car I was in and got out and that was the end of that dream
Wow, you know you are a standardshifter when.........................
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

:lol: . I wanted to type that, but I had a brain fart.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
jmpeace501
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 BMW Z4

Post by jmpeace501 »

I'm pretty comfortable with uphill starts now, but as I've only been driving a stick for a week I haven't had to perform an uphill start while it's raining on a slick road. Does anyone do anything different on an uphill start when it's raining, like using your ebrake when you normally wouldn't on a dry day? Or do you do the same steps, same timing, just with even more focus? My one fear is that I'll do it the same way as I do on dry surface but then the slick road causing my wheels to spin thus causing me to roll back into the car behind me. :? Yikes!

Thanks,
Michael
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

paul34 wrote:
jmpeace501 wrote:I'm pretty comfortable with uphill starts now, but as I've only been driving a stick for a week I haven't had to perform an uphill start while it's raining on a slick road. Does anyone do anything different on an uphill start when it's raining, like using your ebrake when you normally wouldn't on a dry day? Or do you do the same steps, same timing, just with even more focus? My one fear is that I'll do it the same way as I do on dry surface but then the slick road causing my wheels to spin thus causing me to roll back into the car behind me. :? Yikes!

Thanks,
Michael
No. Eventually you'll be comfortable enough with hill starts that they really won't be any different than a regular start, it'll all be "automatic" (ha) in your head. For now, don't be afraid to use the handbrake method. There's nothing wrong with it and it is a technically correct method of hillstarting.

And don't worry about the roll-back terror - totally normal! You really don't roll back as far as you think you do, but really, it is a useful fear because it really teaches you to pay attention to and avoid rolling back.
+1. Just don't overthink it. It'll come with time. But until you're comfortable enough, use the handbrake. That's what it's there for.
jmpeace501
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 BMW Z4

Post by jmpeace501 »

thanks Paul34 & FDSpirit !!! on dry uphill starts i haven't had to use ebrake (my car actually has a feature where if it senses you're on a hill the brake will actually still engage for 2 seconds after you take your foot off the break pedal - which is great - gives me plenty of time to move from the brake over to the gas and let off of the clutch a bit to get going) - but, i will use my ebreak at least the first few times on uphill starts on a slick road or when it's raining when i get the "opportunity" to do so. :)
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

whats an ebrake? my truck doesnt have one well it does but the cable is broken in like 3 places.....
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Your hill hold feature should be fine. I'd say don't do anything different unless you need to for your own confidence.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Swimmerboy
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Post by Swimmerboy »

I can honestly admit i've never used the handbrake when starting on a hill (mostly because it's very loose and doesn't hold good). I just avoided hills until i got good (about a month). And now i have to start this process all over again (new clutch) lol.
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 5 Speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I use the handbrake on steep stuff. Otherwise the brief clutch hold method works for me.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

just hold yourself on the hill with the clutch halfway out and giving a little gas! theres no wear! trust me!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

LHOswald wrote:just hold yourself on the hill with the clutch halfway out and giving a little gas! theres no wear! trust me!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mo Jiggity
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mo Jiggity »

FDSpirit wrote:Yep. There was a guy on here whose e-brake was f'ed up so bad even on the slightest incline his car would roll back :shock: .
My friend's driveway is maybe 20 degrees, and even when I push my parking brake all the way in (on an F-150) I still roll backwards. It's fine for very slight inclines or level grades but it's useless otherwise. Consequently I use the no e-brake method. That and also because to release my brake I have to bend down under the steering column to near where the hood latch is.
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

Mo Jiggity wrote:
FDSpirit wrote:Yep. There was a guy on here whose e-brake was f'ed up so bad even on the slightest incline his car would roll back :shock: .
My friend's driveway is maybe 20 degrees, and even when I push my parking brake all the way in (on an F-150) I still roll backwards. It's fine for very slight inclines or level grades but it's useless otherwise. Consequently I use the no e-brake method. That and also because to release my brake I have to bend down under the steering column to near where the hood latch is.
1. reaches down to release parking brake
2. Ease off the clutch and onto the gas
3. pulls lever and..... stalls with no rolling back :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:
4. passenger says, "why did you pop your hood?"

:lol: