Synchromesh and rev-hang

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Synchromesh and rev-hang

Post by Shadow »

gear323 wrote:The rev hang or the vw throttle sticking is really bad on new generation Volkswagen cars that have a manual transmission. It is so bad that clutches are wearing out very early. It can also cause accidents in certain situations etc.

There is a petition that you can sign if you have one of the cars with the issue. The petition also has some good info about rev hang and there are links to videos.

Volkswagen 2.0T petition can be found here.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... -rpm-hang/
Spend a few bucks and get your engine tuned. Not only will it have more power, but you'll get rid of the rev hang too.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

AHTOXA wrote:Stop. Just stop.
I'm not the only one who noticed?

Good to know. Hehe.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

tankinbeans wrote:

Good to know. Hehe.
I think his efforts would be more successful spamming it on various VW forums instead of old threads here.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

rml605 wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:

Good to know. Hehe.
I think his efforts would be more successful spamming it on various VW forums instead of old threads here.
A for effort, but I think you're right.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

rml605 wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:

Good to know. Hehe.
But that's the thing, his situation is not a widespread issue. At least I don't think it is. I'm part of the biggest VW forum and sure there have been a few posts here and there about rev hang (like many other forums) but nothing major. The kind of rev hang he has is horrible and makes the car undrivable imo so if it was a widespread issue, it would be all over the VW forums.

His issue is definitely major, I'm not disputing that but I don't think he'll get much support with this petition thing. He should deal with his dealer and VW directly imo. If they can't help him, then he should just spend a few hundred bucks and get a tune which will get rid of the rev hang (if it is a software issue).
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

daleadbull wrote:But that's the thing, his situation is not a widespread issue. At least I don't think it is. I'm part of the biggest VW forum and sure there have been a few posts here and there about rev hang (like many other forums) but nothing major. The kind of rev hang he has is horrible and makes the car undrivable imo so if it was a widespread issue, it would be all over the VW forums.
It doesn't make the car undriveable and most people won't even think about why their shifts are rough, they'll just smooth it with the clutch.

This is probably as appropriate as a VW forum, since most VW forum users will have DSG/slush and, in my experience, most of the manual-equipped VW forum users would be powershifting anyway (that's hyperbole but not complete fabrication). On this forum you find a much higher percentage of people who actually care about things like rev hang and know the difference.

That still doesn't mean that every single thread relevant to rev hang needs to be bumped with the link though.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

I am also positive my rev hang is worse on my TSX as today I eyed my talk and did a slow shift, and it was a good 1-2 seconds before they even started to drop. I think DBW is part of that as my car jumps up alittle in revs before even falling.
gear323
Junior Standardshifter

Post by gear323 »

But that's the thing, his situation is not a widespread issue. At least I don't think it is. I'm part of the biggest VW forum and sure there have been a few posts here and there about rev hang (like many other forums) but nothing major. The kind of rev hang he has is horrible and makes the car undrivable imo so if it was a widespread issue, it would be all over the VW forums.

His issue is definitely major, I'm not disputing that but I don't think he'll get much support with this petition thing. He should deal with his dealer and VW directly imo. If they can't help him, then he should just spend a few hundred bucks and get a tune which will get rid of the rev hang (if it is a software issue).[/quote]

Just for the record. I did go back to the dealer and I did drive 3 other cars. Jetta, CC GTI and they all did it. Every one of the cars had rev hang just like my video and the jetta was even worse than my video. I'm pretty sure it is all 2013 vw cars with the CBFA engine. That is the super low emissions engine that is forced on us in 13 US states and will be the whole US within the next few years.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

gear323 wrote:Just for the record. I did go back to the dealer and I did drive 3 other cars. Jetta, CC GTI and they all did it. Every one of the cars had rev hang just like my video and the jetta was even worse than my video. I'm pretty sure it is all 2013 vw cars with the CBFA engine. That is the super low emissions engine that is forced on us in 13 US states and will be the whole US within the next few years.
Hmm, maybe. Mine is CRZA I believe. Do you like the car except for the rev hang? If you do then maybe you just spend a few hundred bucks and get it tuned.
2012 VW Golf R