Tach hang and inconsistent RPM drops

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
DeHackEd
Senior Standardshifter

Tach hang and inconsistent RPM drops

Post by DeHackEd »

I think the subject says it all, but even the tach hang is inconsistent.

Some days when I'm shifting, the RPMs start to drop quickly and do so at a good rate. Other days when I clutch in the RPMs hang or the engine even revs a bit when the weight of the car is removed from it and then the RPMs casually come down. And yes, I'm careful to come off the gas first, though I still do it as quickly as I reasonably can. The effect can also be witnessed in the form of a delay between coming off the gas and engine braking kicking in. I think the ECU is possessed.

Some days a 1->2 shift is painfully slow unless I want to wear on the clutch more than I really should. Other days it's more what I would call reasonable. I don't know why.

If it matters, my vehicle is as indicated below.
2013 Mazda 3
Driving stick since mid-`07
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Tach hang and inconsistent RPM drops

Post by AHTOXA »

Cue in Mr. Bovine and his love affair with rev hang.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

if you've got drive-by-wire, that's probably your answer. everyone seems to have these issues with DBW except me.
DeHackEd wrote:Some days a 1->2 shift is painfully slow unless I want to wear on the clutch more than I really should.
really, dragging the rpms down with the clutch for the 1-2 shift is not going to wear the clutch that much. it's already slowing down, and that is the clutch's job, to synch the engine and transmission. i think doing this several times is still going to be far less clutch wear than a single normal launch.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:Cue in Mr. Bovine and his love affair with rev hang.
Image What, me show up in a thread about rev hang? Naw, that could NEVER happen! Really, google only shows 68 results for me posting about rev hang on this site...
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:sta ... ev+hang%22

DeHackEd, rev hang sucks. I hate it. When I take my foot off the gas, I want it to quit making power and begin slowing at whatever rate the flywheel allows. I don't mind if RPM falls slowly, even very slowly, but I want it to begin falling immediately. I don't think it's too much to ask. I don't think it should be a "feature" limited to sports cars; in fact, IMO, rev hang should be the feature limited to sports cars, while grocery getters should not hold the RPM at all.

It's not related to the flywheel. A heavy flywheel makes RPM drop slowly, but it doesn't make RPM hang steady before dropping. It's not related to some stupid safety feature that prevents excessive engine braking on slippery roads. I guess it exists for people who want to take 5-6 seconds to execute a shift.

I usually complain about drive-by-wire throttle, but really, rev hang doesn't require DBW. Newer cable throttle vehicles have throttle actuators, and older ones might be able to use the IACV for rev hang (though it would be less awful rev hang).
jomotopia wrote:really, dragging the rpms down with the clutch for the 1-2 shift is not going to wear the clutch that much. it's already slowing down, and that is the clutch's job
jomo, it's NOT already slowing down. That's the problem with rev hang. It's holding steady. If rev hang happens at 3021 RPM, it will stay at 3021 RPM until the engine can't make enough power to hold 3021 RPM...and if it can make enough power then the car's going to shoot off like you're racing, once you engage the clutch.

I address the problem, as well as improving my fuel economy and reducing engine noise, by shifting as low as possible. When I enter my next gear it's usually near idle and I have just enough power to accelerate reasonably. YMMV.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

theholycow wrote:jomo, it's NOT already slowing down. That's the problem with rev hang. It's holding steady. If rev hang happens at 3021 RPM, it will stay at 3021 RPM until the engine can't make enough power to hold 3021 RPM...and if it can make enough power then the car's going to shoot off like you're racing, once you engage the clutch.
i had assumed it would hang for a second and then the revs would begin to fall. surely it won't just stay at 3k indefinitely with you off the throttle? if so that sounds like a more serious problem that wouldn't be considered normal behavior even for a pain-in-the-ass DBW setup. but then i don't have any problems with my DBW so i haven't experienced these things. i still think it's not going to wear the clutch too much to pull the rpms down with it on the 1-2 shift.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

If it only happened for a second it might go unnoticed, since even a quick shift probably takes about a whole second before you engage the clutch. In my car the usual length of rev hang is 3 seconds.

DeHackEd
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DeHackEd »

Yeah, it bites.

What really sucks is that it's inconsistent. Sure a 3 second (minimizing clutch wear) sucks, but when it suddenly becomes 1.5 seconds when you hop in the next time - that's what annoys me. The learning curve is jagged.
2013 Mazda 3
Driving stick since mid-`07
gear323
Junior Standardshifter

Post by gear323 »

Guys,

For anyone that has a Volkswagen car, there is a petition online that you can sign if you have the 2.0T engine and have the rev hang issue.

You can read about and sign the petition here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... -rpm-hang/
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

gear323, you don't have to exhume every dead thread about this stuff, we get the idea and the people in these ancient buried threads who don't come around probably aren't subscribed for email notifications of their old threads getting bumped.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

gear323 wrote:Guys,

For anyone that has a Volkswagen car, there is a petition online that you can sign if you have the 2.0T engine and have the rev hang issue.

You can read about and sign the petition here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... -rpm-hang/
Don't know if you looked at the date, gear323... but this is a slight necro-thread :wink: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Necrothreadia. o_0
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

jomotopia wrote:if you've got drive-by-wire, that's probably your answer. everyone seems to have these issues with DBW except me.
It seems that rev hang is pretty common on new DBW cars, but the fact of the matter is that not all DBW cars have rev hang. My car has none at all. And I mean absolutely none. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the car has a cable between the accelerator pedal and the throttle plate.

Another thing to consider is that there are lots of cars that can be tuned to eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) rev hang.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

In my personal experience, VW has been the worst for rev hang. I've owned, what, 3-4 vehicles with DBW since then and never had an issue with it as much as I did in the VW. In fact, I don't feel or see it on my current car at all - none.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650