DBW and upshifting issue

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: DBW and upshifting issue

Post by watkins »

Indeed. My car does it as well.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

paul34 wrote:If DBW lag was a person I'd punch it in the ovaries
Win.

Well, actually, DBW lag doesn't bother me as much as rev hang. DBW lag is the time it takes for the car to respond to what my right foot does when it's not rev-hanging. When my car is cold, taking my foot off the gas works just as fast as stepping on it -- maybe 1/2 second delay (not consistent, though). Once the car's warmed up, when it does rev hang that could last 3 seconds (occasionally more) but it only affects taking my foot off the gas; I still only get the inconsistent 1/2 second lag for laying on the pedal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ELI_the_ICE_man
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '09 Impreza Outback Sport

Post by ELI_the_ICE_man »

Couldn't rev hang, lag, DBW, etc... actually help during power shifting by keeping the RPM's up and consistent?

-ELI
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I don't practice power shifting, but if I did you can bet my right foot would do the job quite well (as long as DBW plays fair).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i find it amazing that DBW is so bad on some on cars. i think it's just fine on my car. there is a bit of rev hang but it's short, consistent, and helpful. there is only a tiny bit of lag, seems like only from idle, but it's minor.
ELI_the_ICE_man wrote:Couldn't rev hang, lag, DBW, etc... actually help during power shifting by keeping the RPM's up
it could if it was programmed to. stock it's not. you can tune the DBW programming with the right tools. Cobb has launch control and flat foot shifting maps for Subarus i believe.

as for the first oil change, i would either a> just change it at the specified regular interval with the regular oil, or b> change out the oil at the end of the break-in period (4k miles?). isn't the specified oil change interval for the non-turbo Imprezas 7500? i think it used to be 7500 for all Imprezas, 3500 or something for extreme driving conditions, and then in like 08 they decided "hey, if you have a turbo, that's considered extreme driving conditions, so you should have been changing your oil twice as often... oops!" :lol:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
ELI_the_ICE_man
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '09 Impreza Outback Sport

Post by ELI_the_ICE_man »

First oil change at 7500.... then all other ~3500.
I figured I would just do the 3000 like I always have with every other car.
More often doesn't hurt the car, only the wallet and environment. :)

-ELI
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

paul34 wrote:If DBW lag was a person I'd knock it unconscious, shove a stick of dynamite up its backside, tie it up, awaken it, explain what I did, light the fuse, and walk away laughing the most maniacal laugh I can muster.
Fixed.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
RanEnRui
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Honda Civic Si

Post by RanEnRui »

Ohsnap! Hmm, I've only had a few DBW issues ever although a lot of people with the same car as me seem to hate on it.

I have heard that a few things such as pulleys and engine torque dampeners have helped reduce DBW lag significantly, at least for my car (but I have yet to do those mods).

I can deal with the rev hang or serious rev fall, but what really gets me is the DBW lag which is rare fortunately. I mostly get it reversing out at under 5mph or so and hit the accelerator and the car doesn't even seem like it's paying attention to what my foot is doing until I hit it harder, which sometimes feels like I'm going to go flying backwards, probably riding the clutch at higher RPMs than I wanted to originally. That and the times when I go to overtake someone and all of a sudden I have to wait a second for it to understand gas = go.

But really, I love my car all the same.