Reverse gear gets kinda "jammy"

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Big Boss
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '00 Celica GT-S

Reverse gear gets kinda "jammy"

Post by Big Boss »

As the title says, my reverse gear jams up sometimes. It's been happening a few times lately and it's worrying me. When I pull up into my driveway or a parking space, I usually park my car in reverse, my Celica is a 6-speed so to pop it in reverse you have to push it all the way to the left, then up.

I'd turn my car off, pull up the handbrake and put it in reverse but sometimes it wouldn't go in, I push it all the way to the left and it feels like something is "blocking" it if that makes any sense.

Any ideas? It's so annoying...
Solotw
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Reverse gear gets kinda "jammy"

Post by Solotw »

Yup happens to me too. Don't know what the cause of it is but I'm pretty sure it's not a problem.

Sometimes when the car is on and I put it into reverse it gets stuck like you said, I just leave it like that and once I start engaging the clutch it pops into gear.

You may already do this but try putting it into another gear right before you put it into reverse.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

ya N clutch out then back in again usually fixes it
<3 fwd
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

what they said :P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

this is when the engine is off and the car isn't moving? if so, it's probably just that the teeth weren't lined up when they stopped. are you clutching in? if it still won't go in then putting it in a forward gear then reverse may help. i don't think it's really anything wrong with the car though.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Big Boss
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Big Boss »

Yeah, it mostly happens when the engine's off, but sometimes it'll happen when the car is running too.

Anyway, thanks guys, I'm gonna try putting it in another gear, and then reverse.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

You said you're on a slanted driveway. (Edit: no you didn't :lol: sorry)
Release the handbrake & step on the brake pedal, then bring the shifter to the gate. If it doesn't go in, move the car an inch or two (manipulating the brake) while holding the shifter against the R gate. This works for me. Obviously clutch in, don't move too much, blah blah.
Last edited by padauk_dust on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

park. set the ebrake. put it in gear. if it doesnt go into reverse, put it in frist. who cares
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Big Boss
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Big Boss »

My driveway is about as flat as it can be. But thanks to all the advice. I tried putting it into 1st then putting it in R and it worked.
kaziozy
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 Subaru WRX

Post by kaziozy »

I had a question about the reverse gear, I don't think its jammy or anything...but sometimes when I shift to reverse I can feel resistance in the shifter, kinda like a grinding but not too much. Is this bad, or just normal? I mean I am completely stopped when putting it in reverse so yea...thanks for you help.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

kaziozy wrote:I had a question about the reverse gear, I don't think its jammy or anything...but sometimes when I shift to reverse I can feel resistance in the shifter, kinda like a grinding but not too much. Is this bad, or just normal? I mean I am completely stopped when putting it in reverse so yea...thanks for you help.
probably not a problem. most likely your reverse is not synchronized and the input shaft is still spinning from you clutching in while idling in neutral. waiting an extra second or going into a forward gear first should eliminate it.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
kaziozy
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 Subaru WRX

Post by kaziozy »

Ok, thank you :) I was worried for a second