I think my used car has been lowered by the previous owner.

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
frank723
Junior Standardshifter

I think my used car has been lowered by the previous owner.

Post by frank723 »

What should I do? It's a Corolla so it's a very common car - I've been driving up to other corollas of the same model year, same trim, different trim, and they are ALL higher. I can see it from the back, from the wheel wells (between 1-2 inches) and just along the bottom of the car! And the ride is very bumpy compared to what one would expect from an econo Toyota family sedan. It's really annoying sometimes especially while going over speedbumps because I _cannot_ manage to keep slipping the clutch because the jolt will knock my foot out of place.

Overall the job _seems_ to have been done properly. Steering alignment is fine, alignment in general is fine (no camber issues) and it seems to have barely any body roll in corners.

My main question (since I have never driven a properly lowered car for sure before) is how do I know if the springs are simply just cut (and therefore I should buy some proper coilovers) or if they are actually performance springs. My best idea right now is to take off the tire and wipe all the dirt from the springs. If it's some funky color then it's probably legit. Help?
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Havent driven a cut-spring car, I wouldnt know what to tell you. Although I do drive a lowered car. If I were you, I'd check the springs. Check to see if they have different color sleeves on them, and check for a brand name. Also, you will get used to the ride quality in time, and will grow to love the added benifit of faster cornering. After driving my car for so long, i hate not being able to go faster through the corners in our other car
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Yep Sypher is right. Also the performance springs are usually thicker and stronger. If you want to be 100% sure just ask a mechanic to check them for you when you go change your oil and/or do the tire rotations next time. You can also go ask those performance shop guys, pertaining you are interested in buying their springs. :lol:

By the way I have driven both a cut-spring car and a performance-spring car before (my car actually :mrgreen: ). Of course, I love the performance springs more. :wink:
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I'm pretty sure cut springs only lower the ride, but don't really provide much stiffer handling, because it still has the same resistance. It may even make lean even worse, because the springs have less resistance, and there is less spring to support the weight.

Just a thought though.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs