This thread is to keep me from sweating

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

This thread is to keep me from sweating

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

So about a year or two ago, the air conditioning stopped working in my car. It used to work decently before, IE, enough to keep the car relatively cool in the summer. Then it just stopped working one day and I never got around to it. I'm dreading this summer because my passenger side window doesn't go down and i don't want another summer of extreme heat with no A/C and 3 functioning windows. Here's the lowdown on its current state:

- A/C button lights up green when I press it (signifying A/C "ON")
- Engine makes no change in noise whatsoever when A/C is engaged or disengaged
- A/C fuse seemed to be fine when I checked it (quick and dirty check once, a while ago, will check again this weekend)
- Compressor doesn't seem to engage when A/C button is engaged. The belt doesn't spin the compressor wheel when the button is engaged.

So where should I start? Is there a solenoid I can look at or something? Compressor clutch? If it's something big like the compressor, I won't bother, but the engineer in me wants to figure out what's wrong and try to fix it (and the fat lazy person inside me doesn't want to sweat in summer)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: This thread is to keep me from sweating

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:So about a year or two ago, the air conditioning stopped working in my car. It used to work decently before, IE, enough to keep the car relatively cool in the summer. Then it just stopped working one day and I never got around to it. I'm dreading this summer because my passenger side window doesn't go down and i don't want another summer of extreme heat with no A/C and 3 functioning windows. Here's the lowdown on its current state:

- A/C button lights up green when I press it (signifying A/C "ON")
- Engine makes no change in noise whatsoever when A/C is engaged or disengaged
- A/C fuse seemed to be fine when I checked it (quick and dirty check once, a while ago, will check again this weekend)
- Compressor doesn't seem to engage when A/C button is engaged. The belt doesn't spin the compressor wheel when the button is engaged.

So where should I start? Is there a solenoid I can look at or something? Compressor clutch? If it's something big like the compressor, I won't bother, but the engineer in me wants to figure out what's wrong and try to fix it (and the fat lazy person inside me doesn't want to sweat in summer)
You can start by tearing off that door panel and ficksing that passenger-side window!

I'm thinking it's not got enough pressure in the system to allow it to supply power to the compressor clutch. Probably has a freon leak. If you're lucky, its a small, slow leak and you can "pump in a few more slices" and be good for a couple mower years.

Have you measured for voltage at the compressor clutch when the green light is on? Have you tried hot-wiring the clutch to see if it will make coolnesses when the clutch is engaged?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

To address the window issue: The regulator is eff'd. I tore the door open once to see the problem and I got really scared by all the wizardry of power windows and put it back.

I have not tried check voltage because I don't have a voltage tester and I don't know how :lol:

The pressure seems to be good in the system when I put an A/C pressure gauge on the low end. Reads in the green zone (25-35 psi I think) and it's read that way for some time, so I think the pressure is stable.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:I have not tried check voltage because I don't have a voltage tester and I don't know how :lol:
It's cheap and easy.
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function ... 90899.html

Currently $5, sometimes down to $3.

1. Turn meter knob to DCV 20 (measures up to 20 volts DC).
2. Touch positive probe to exposed metal of positive wire (inside connector).
3. Touch negative probe to any ground or to exposed metal of negative wire.
4. Read LCD.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Thanks udder-man. I might borrow a friend's for the weekend since I don't have a harbor freight near me.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey, it's just electricity - what's the worst that can happen?

Do you know if that pressure reading makes sense for what it should be? Last time I was low on AC charge, there was a switch that kept it from running until I brought the charge system pressure up higher. No, I don't remember what the pressure values were. I'd suggest running 12 voltages to the clutch and seeing if you can get it to engage and if the system then seems to run somewhat. If it does, get the system recharged and see if that does it.

Did you try disengaging the window regulator motor to see if it runs buy itself / gets power? If the mechanism is binding, the motor might not have enough power to move it. Much spraying of lithium grease should then ensue wherever something rubs in a track, or at pivot points, etc. When I got it so I could drag / push the window up and down more easily by hand, I reinstalled the motor and it worked again.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

The motor works fine, a plastic part that holds the cable snapped and I think the cable also snapped. It is a puzzlement. Of course, my memory is probably really hazy since the last time I tore apart the door was 2008 :lol:
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

For some reason I still have some of the componentry that became detached when the regulator went out. I have no idea what they are other than the spool thing looks like where the cable winds up. I has picture.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Steal parts from rear windows(?), or go junk yarding. Getting the window ficksed is an issue unto itself.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

True, but that's a thread for another day. If you guys have anything else to post about the A/C stuff, feel free. I'll do what you guys said over the weekend and report back with the results. Thanks!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Well, this past weekend I tried some stuff with my A/C system:

1. Tried using a multimeter to test if it worked. Nothing happened. Hooked it up to my battery. Nothing happened. I think it was faulty. It was one with a needle, not digital.

2. Tried using an A/C recharger with PSI gauge attached. I kept pumping refrigerant in there but the pressure stayed the same (low pressure, would need to add). No visible leaks.

3. Turns out my A/C fuse is in the passenger kickpanel inside of Satan's asshole. It was nearly impossible to get it out, and once I did, I found that the fuse was good, but it is impossible to put it back in. It's pretty much up in the fender in the passenger footwell and it's blocked by 2 thick, immovable wiring looms. I couldn't put it back in, so now the A/C button doesn't light up when I press it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Did you have the right range set on the meter, was it turned on, and does it have a good battery (if it needs one)?

I doubt any of your A/C will ever work without the fuse in.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

The compressor will not engage if your refrigerant is very low/empty. Did you even check that yet?

Go back to basics and check the most obvious things first. If you have a good refrigerant charge and the compressor clutch doesn't engage, you can always jump the low-pressure switch to make sure the compressor is working.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Take your time - Winter is in no hurry to leave, right?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

94Corolla5Speed wrote:
2. Tried using an A/C recharger with PSI gauge attached. I kept pumping refrigerant in there but the pressure stayed the same (low pressure, would need to add). No visible leaks.
Shadow wrote:The compressor will not engage if your refrigerant is very low/empty. Did you even check that yet?