Slammed on brakes without clutch, oops. Grinding noise.

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Ron008
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 VW Golf 2.5L

Slammed on brakes without clutch, oops. Grinding noise.

Post by Ron008 »

Hello,

I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision today and coming from years of driving an auto, my natural reaction was just to slam on the brakes. Only 1 - 2 seconds later, did I remember to clutch in as well. By the time i clutched in, I dropped from probably 60 mph to 10 in 5th gear. Before I clutched in, I noticed a pretty loud grinding noise. I went on driving without any issues and I didn't hear the noise again, but I just wanted to know what the noise was from and if I did any bad damage... Would you happen to know what was making this noise exactly?
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Re: Slammed on brakes without clutch, oops. Grinding noise.

Post by 4onthefloor »

Ron008 wrote:Hello,

I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision today and coming from years of driving an auto, my natural reaction was just to slam on the brakes. Only 1 - 2 seconds later, did I remember to clutch in as well. By the time i clutched in, I dropped from probably 60 mph to 10 in 5th gear. Before I clutched in, I noticed a pretty loud grinding noise. I went on driving without any issues and I didn't hear the noise again, but I just wanted to know what the noise was from and if I did any bad damage... Would you happen to know what was making this noise exactly?
Even with a manual transmission your best bet is to just slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. You shouldn't be worrying about the transmission if a collision is imminent. I would've thought it would just stall. Even if I did grind a little it's not going to be enough to wreck the transmission.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
Ron008
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Ron008 »

4onthefloor wrote:
Ron008 wrote:Hello,

Even with a manual transmission your best bet is to just slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. You shouldn't be worrying about the transmission if a collision is imminent. I would've thought it would just stall. Even if I did grind a little it's not going to be enough to wreck the transmission.
That's true. It could have been a lot worse. I was surprised that it did not stall as well.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

No reason for grinding in that situation unless you need brake pads. What you heard was probably the engine simultaneously trying to stall and trying to run. I would not anticipate any lasting damage.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

IMBoring25 wrote:No reason for grinding in that situation unless you need brake pads. What you heard was probably the engine simultaneously trying to stall and trying to run. I would not anticipate any lasting damage.
Agreed. There should not have been any grinding from the trans. You probably heard other noises associated with an emergency stop.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

I remember on my old car, when you slammed the brakes, the ABS made a sort of grinding noise. Maybe that was what you heard.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Sounds like ABS kicking in. Did you feel your brake pedal pulsate or vibrate when you were hearing those sounds?
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I agree with everybody above...either it was the engine shuddering or the ABS kicking in. What do you drive?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

It was ABS, you probably felt something like sliding on rocks through the pedal as well.
Ron008
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Ron008 »

I drive a 2010 vw golf. Now that you mention the abs, it makes sense. The brake pedal did pulsate as I was stopping.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

It should be noted that cars with anti-lock brake systems will *always* pulsate when the pedal is stomped to the floor.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Chris H. wrote:It should be noted that cars with anti-lock brake systems will *always* pulsate when the pedal is stomped to the floor.
No. They will pulsate (or grind or vibrate) when ABS is activated. If you have good traction when you stomp the pedal to the floor you may not lose traction and therefore may not activate ABS.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD