Clutch acting weirdly...

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Mo Jiggity
Junior Standardshifter

Clutch acting weirdly...

Post by Mo Jiggity »

I have a 2001 F-150 with ~190K miles on it. It has an old clutch on it. It's always acted a bit weird towards the top in that it doesn't always spring up to the totally undepressed position after it hits the friction point, but now the friction point is down closer to the floor, a few inches off of it, rather than towards the middle of the pedal's throw as it was when I got the vehicle around 1500 miles ago. I did learn to drive stick on this vehicle, but after I learned how I've been really good to it. The shifter also has gone through bouts of difficult shifting in the recent past, that is as of earlier today when the clutch's engagement point changed as described above.

Anybody know what's up? I know I eventually need a new clutch but I don't have cash laying around for one. Thanks.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Clutch acting weirdly...

Post by AHTOXA »

Check fluid level. Hydraulic issues or lack of fluid culd cause varying engagement of the clutch but generally it would grab higher off the floor and not lower.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

If it's a cable-actuated clutch, it makes sense to me that the engagement point could be 'lower' in the pedal travel if the clutch cable has stretched. Ford uses a ratchet-adjustment system on some of their cable clutches... try pulling up on your clutch pedal and listening for a series of clicks. If you get it, then hopefully your cable is properly adjusted and the friction point ends up back where you're used to it being.

Such a condition could also cause additional wear if the clutch isn't being fully released when you shift, so fixing it sooner could extend the remaining service life of your current equipment.

As far as the pedal not returning to its original resting position, I guess that could be a weak pedal spring. The truck is about ten years old now, so things like this can start to happen.

Best of luck figuring out the problem!
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

Mo Jiggity wrote:I have a 2001 F-150 with ~190K miles on it. It has an old clutch on it. It's always acted a bit weird towards the top in that it doesn't always spring up to the totally undepressed position after it hits the friction point

that sounds like a worn diaphragm spring. the diaphragm spring (along with your pressure plate) is what pulls the clutch disk apart from your flywheel.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm
3rd picture from the top is a clutch from a sideview. so as you can see, the diaphragm spring can be worn overtime from the clutch being disengaged and engaged regularly everytime you shift.

but now the friction point is down closer to the floor, a few inches off of it, rather than towards the middle of the pedal's throw as it was when I got the vehicle around 1500 miles ago.

this is usually a hydraulic problem. the master or slave cylinder is leaking or is worn out and needs to be replaced. a shot hydraulic system usually means that the hydraulics cannot push the throwout bearing far enough into the diaphragm spring to disengage it as normal, and in some cases, you can floor the clutch pedal and the hydraulic system won't be able to push the throwout bearing far enough to even get past the friction point. this causes you to grind your synchros when you shift as the clutch is never fully disengaged.

I did learn to drive stick on this vehicle, but after I learned how I've been really good to it. The shifter also has gone through bouts of difficult shifting in the recent past, that is as of earlier today when the clutch's engagement point changed as described above.

Anybody know what's up? I know I eventually need a new clutch but I don't have cash laying around for one. Thanks.

a diaphragm spring probably isn't to expensive, especially OEM. the labor might be though. find a friend whos mechanically inclined!
Mo Jiggity
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mo Jiggity »

Well for what it's worth the clutch is acting fine today... it's even returning completely normally to the top and the engagement point is back where it should be. I just drove it a good 30 miles around town and it's A-OK. I have NO idea what the problem was yesterday but it appears to have solved itself. Thanks for the replies though... I'll for sure heed the advice if it acts up again.