brakes

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

brakes

Post by Takigu »

ok well i have been needing to change my front brakes for awhile now. so yesterday i went to auto zone and checked the prices and stuff. well they could only get one brand in Baer Decela Rotors. so they were $81.99 for a pair of them, anyone had any experience with these rotors? they are drilled and slotted rotors and i looked them up online and the cheapest i saw for the pair was $134.99. seems like i got a good deal on them. so yeah what i am asking is are these gonna be good rotors?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: brakes

Post by watkins »

There is no reason for drilled and/or slotted rotors on a street car. Save your money, buy more rotor
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

the only ones advance auto has are more expensive then these are.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

watkins wrote:There is no reason for drilled and/or slotted rotors on a street car. Save your money, buy more rotor
Same opinion, + drilled rotors have 1 litle broblem, when they heat up enough they attend to crack between 2 holes, or hole and the outer edge, so use only slotted if you really want those.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

go back to autozone and ask to talk to someone who knows the computers. when you have top of the line racing rotors showing up for a run of the mill chrysubishi, that means the dumbass cant run the computer

those baers are 81.99 for a pair which is a steal for real deal legit brand name parts, durafails are 35 a rotor. valucraps are 25 a rotor but i wouldnt put anything valushit on a lawnmower, let alone one of the most important parts of the car. if i wanted no brakes id just put in some cardboard in there, theyd stop better

advance rotors are cheaper anyway. they are 29 a rotor. we will pricematch autozone without any problems (which theres nothing to pricematch to seeing as were cheaper for the 2 year warranty rotors), and you get a rotor which was stored the way its supposed to be (flat, not on edge) so they are not prewarped in the box

ill have to agree with chris anyway. your car is stock, its too slow to need serious rotors. get some good rotors, and some good ceramic pads (durafail gold cmax or wagners) and you wont have brake problems. and dont let aaron drive
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

permabanned wrote:go back to autozone and ask to talk to someone who knows the computers. when you have top of the line racing rotors showing up for a run of the mill chrysubishi, that means the dumbass cant run the computer

those baers are 81.99 for a pair which is a steal for real deal legit brand name parts, durafails are 35 a rotor. valucraps are 25 a rotor but i wouldnt put anything valushit on a lawnmower, let alone one of the most important parts of the car. if i wanted no brakes id just put in some cardboard in there, theyd stop better

advance rotors are cheaper anyway. they are 29 a rotor. we will pricematch autozone without any problems (which theres nothing to pricematch to seeing as were cheaper for the 2 year warranty rotors), and you get a rotor which was stored the way its supposed to be (flat, not on edge) so they are not prewarped in the box

ill have to agree with chris anyway. your car is stock, its too slow to need serious rotors. get some good rotors, and some good ceramic pads (durafail gold cmax or wagners) and you wont have brake problems. and dont let aaron drive
:evil:

Been there, driven that. Nice ride, though.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I once tried $30 and then $15 rotors on my Pontiac. I think both sets were from Western Auto's Parts America (now defunct, I don't remember which chain store took their place). They were safe enough and stopped the car but they felt pretty nasty. I always assumed rotors came from the factory ready to use, but these definitely needed to be turned before putting on the car.

I have no idea what anyone is supposed to learn from my anecdote.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

permabanned wrote:go back to autozone and ask to talk to someone who knows the computers. when you have top of the line racing rotors showing up for a run of the mill chrysubishi, that means the dumbass cant run the computer

haha. he and i have both driven teh car....ur too late
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff