door handle(s)

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: door handle(s)

Post by wannabe »

that would get rid of the being polite and unlocking their door first, esp in rain/snow storms...

is there a way to figure out whats going on with my passenger lock?

is there a way to glue down my drivers side door handle?
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ on the passenger side, does the key not turn the lock cylinder any more, or does turning the lock cyliner not unlock the door any more?

If it's the latter, It may be that the rod linking the key cylinder to the lock has come detached. You'll need to remove the interior door trim panel to see what is flopping around loose and where it needs to connect to. There may be plastic or steel clips that were holding the rod at one time but have broken or worn out. If so, you may be able to find them at the dealership, or improvise using some wire.

On your driver's side door handle, again you may need to remove the interior trim panel to see what is loose and how you might fix it. There are usually some screws and a series of perimiter clips that retain the trim panel. The window regualtor crank handle usually is held on by some kind of clip that you need to remove before you can get the trim panel off as well.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

if the cylinder wont turn it might be just rusted closed from lack of use or just seized up try some wd-40 in the lock or even pb blaster just be careful with the pb i dont know if it eats paint lol also if any drips just wipe it off anyway no sense taking chances
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

What would you do if I threw the trunk of your car is the garbage can?
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

ihartmacz wrote:What would you do if I threw the trunk of your car is the garbage can?
what would i do if i could actually understand what that says
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

You might accidentally him
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Takigu wrote:if the cylinder wont turn it might be just rusted closed from lack of use or just seized up try some wd-40 in the lock or even pb blaster just be careful with the pb i dont know if it eats paint lol also if any drips just wipe it off anyway no sense taking chances
Or the key might be worn enough that it doesn't like it anymore. Seen it happen before. For some reason, the ignition will accept the key's friendship, but the door HATES them.
Rope-Pusher wrote:rod
Rope-Pusher wrote:flopping around loose
Rope-Pusher wrote:holding the rod

:lol:

Sorry for being an ass. I'm incredibly tired, very very overheated in a small, badly ventilated room, and loopy as shit.

I just looked at that post and started laughing.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

Rope-Pusher wrote:^ on the passenger side, does the key not turn the lock cylinder any more, or does turning the lock cyliner not unlock the door any more?

On your driver's side door handle, again you may need to remove the interior trim panel to see what is loose and how you might fix it. There are usually some screws and a series of perimiter clips that retain the trim panel. The window regualtor crank handle usually is held on by some kind of clip that you need to remove before you can get the trim panel off as well.
not sure about the key...will check later.

why would i have to take out the interior of the door if the outside handle is coming off? i'm having a hard time comprehending...and i'm in a very well venelated area, eating cookies for lunch :)

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

aaron's has that.

i have a separate key for the trunk, but so does the white spirit, so i can't (too loudly)....but my grey spirit had inside trunk release and it was older than the white spirit....i don't understand sometimes...

Crafting and stuff
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

it's just an option the white one didnt have i guess
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:^ on the passenger side, does the key not turn the lock cylinder any more, or does turning the lock cyliner not unlock the door any more?

not sure about the key...will check later.

why would i have to take out the interior of the door if the outside handle is coming off? i'm having a hard time comprehending...and i'm in a very well venelated area, eating cookies for lunch :)
I'm fairly certain that there are no exposed fasteners securing that door handle, so they would be hidden inside the door. The way to get to them is by taking off the interior trim panel. Keep the window in the closed position - if you roll it down, it will form a glass wall between you and the door handle fasteners.
This is one of those jobs where a good service manual comes in handy. It will usually show you where the clips are located around the door trim panel and maybe even show how the door handle fastens to the door skin. I bet you could find one on E-Bay. I prefer the ones the manufacturer publishes. The photos / figures tend to be of a better quality and the manual is often written specific for a given model year.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Autozone.com has free repair manuals. The same content is also available from your local library or at home using your library card from the library's website's link to EBSCO's Auto Repair Reference Center.

I'm pretty sure it's Chilton content, same as you'd find in Chilton-published books. It's not very detailed. The manufacturer's books are probably way better.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repair ... 52800524c7

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repair ... 52800524c7
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

if i have money left over this check i'll be getting a book for the car, otherwise next check....

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:if i have money left over this check i'll be getting a book for the car, otherwise next check....
Don't buy a book for your car. Waste of money. Cars CAN"T read!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

for me to use to FIX the car

dogs can't read either, but our dog likes to do homework w/ my sister....

Crafting and stuff