Arg! Cracked windshield!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
the dumblonde
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Ouback 2.5 XT Limited

Arg! Cracked windshield!

Post by the dumblonde »

So on my way back home from Mammoth my freakin’ windshield decides to crack! There is no point of impact and it begins on the passenger side from where the windshield attaches into the hood. It’s obviously a temperature induced crack. (See pics below.) I did have my windshield heater on much earlier that morning, but i’ve used it many times before. Plus it wasn’t even that cold that morning! A measly 16º at 9am! I don’t understand why my windshield has to do this now. I’ve made the trip to Mammoth at least 20 times in this car. From cruising some other Subie forums this is apparently not a totally uncommon problem amongst Outback windshields. Makes me wonder.

Plus it happened almost the exact same way to my friend’s dad’s Outback (which is the same model and year, 2005 btw) sometime last year. Subie replaced his windshield. I know i’m out of warranty, but i’m pretty sure his was too. (I need to confirm this, but he’s out of town on business currently.) Thus i have no clue if it’s going to be covered or not. The righteous part of me (the same part that has far too much faith in Subaru to do good) think they’ll deal with it since well, THIS SHOULDN’T HAPPEN! I don’t exactly think of the windshield as a wear & tear item. I’ve had Irvine Subaru take pictures and send them off to corporate. (I was scared witless that a something would hit the crack and make it look like an impact break before i got it documented.) Now i lay in wait. Am i SOL? Or will Subie do good on what is obviously flawed? Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Arg! Cracked windshield!

Post by AHTOXA »

Hard to say in this case.

Check with your insurance whether they cover this if the dealer is not willing to address the issue.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I often read about how insurance covers windshields but I never believed it could be true for me. That's the sort of thing that's just not likely to work for me. I've been driving around for 6 months with a windshield that looks like it's going to cave in.

Well, sure enough, I checked a few days ago and my insurance DOES cover windshields. It probably did the last time I bought one myself, too! WTF...

There is a deductible if they have to replace instead of repairing, and I have to find out how much that is.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Your windshield is cracked, too? Same here... :(
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

The one on my truck is, and it's BAD. It started small in late spring/early summer, then on hot days I'd come out and find it has spread. At this point, it's horizontal, halfway up the windshield, stretching from the passenger side edge to just short of being directly in front of me.

Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

I've got a chip on my Honda Odessey's windshield.. It hasn't turned into a crack yet.. but I don't know when i should consider replacing it. ... or would i be able to fix a small chip? (by buffing it out?)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

If you've got "comprehensive" coverage in your insurance, they might fix the chip with no deductible vs. replacing a cracked windshield with a deductible.

Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

Gah this is creepy, now I have a crack this morning! Looks similar to the dumblonde's but on the driver's side. At least in MA if you have comprehensive insurance they'll replace a windshield with no deductible.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

theholycow wrote:I often read about how insurance covers windshields but I never believed it could be true for me. That's the sort of thing that's just not likely to work for me. I've been driving around for 6 months with a windshield that looks like it's going to cave in.
Ok, I was right. It was indeed too good to be true. This stuff never works out for me.

The deductible is $500. :|

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I still need to call my insurance and find out. I bet I have a deductible, too. :|
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

$500 deductible here, too.

I can replace it for less paying out of pocket. :|
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

I've had 2 windshields crack on me in the cold weather. For no apparent reason, they both started right in the bottom center and grew up, then curved to the drier side. The glass shop 2 blocks from me replaced it for $200, with brand new glass.
the dumblonde
Senior Standardshifter

Post by the dumblonde »

UPDATE!!

Six months later, my poor broken baby finally gets seen by a Subaru rep (i heart Eddie Harbor Subie and f*** Irvine Subie and their vile staff but back to the happy) and my window is being replaced!!! And i got 2 free yokohama tires out of it too! Admittedly my wonderful mother took the Outback in not me (was still in Boston after all) but i’m getting a new windshield!!! And not paying for it!! My faith in Subaru is reaffirmed.

Image Image Image Image Image
the dumblonde
Senior Standardshifter

Post by the dumblonde »

paul34 wrote:Don't you need to buy two more tires? I mean, with AWD and all.
Why hadn’t i thought of that? Now i need to go buy two more! Image

Yes, i’ll have to buy the other two, but i was in the market anyway, (i was almost thru my wear bars before i left for europe) so this was just the easiest way to go. One less problem i have to make a decision about before heading back to school—particularly considering how full my plate is at the moment.
carsncars
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 MINI Cooper

Post by carsncars »

the dumblonde wrote:UPDATE!!

Six months later, my poor broken baby finally gets seen by a Subaru rep (i heart Eddie Harbor Subie and f*** Irvine Subie and their vile staff but back to the happy) and my window is being replaced!
Six months?! You've got way more patience than me. :lol: