Leedeth's 1992 Mazda MX-3 RS

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

First generation Legacy. Damn
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Bah, I still haven't gotten around to installing that rear strut bar.

But I did re-install the rear seats. My dad wanted it back in, and it hasn't made any kind of noticeable difference. It's only about 50 lbs tops. If it's there, I might as well keep it there, just in case I might need it in the future. I also got tired of the extra road noise. The rears are quite noisy in the rain, and without the rear seats it's just that much noisier.

And Roman, wtf is up with your "i can reinstall my seats in 30 mins" or something like that...it took me 1 hour.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

when you work on your car as much as i do on mine, stuff like that is like regular maintenance.

sh1t im willing to bet that if i go down in the garage right this minute, ill have my transmission, clutch and the flywheel laying on the ground next to my car in less than 2 hours. im not quite up to the level of that dude whose orange probe pic i posted, he does a whole clutch change, from jack up to drive away in under 2 hours. im not quite there yet, but eventually i will be.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

hockeystyx16 wrote:when you work on your car as much as i do on mine, stuff like that is like regular maintenance.

sh1t im willing to bet that if i go down in the garage right this minute, ill have my transmission, clutch and the flywheel laying on the ground next to my car in less than 2 hours. im not quite up to the level of that dude whose orange probe pic i posted, he does a whole clutch change, from jack up to drive away in under 2 hours. im not quite there yet, but eventually i will be.
Hmm, I might be driving up to Ohio in the near future for a clutch change. :D :D
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

OT, but is your clutch going, Nychold?
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Johnf514 wrote:OT, but is your clutch going, Nychold?
Not that I've seen. Just making a routine joke. Joke-bot 2000 gets antsy if I don't make one every fifth post.

PEN1S. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

I think I got this figured out. Here's my plan.

When I get an MR2, and it's all checked out and not going to break down on me, it becomes my daily driver and the MX-3 comes off the road for a KLZE swap.

I honestly don't think I can part with this car now. The body, interior, everything is in excellent condition. It's just that the last owner quit on maintenance and nearly drove it to the ground before dumping it. It's like an MR2 but with WWD and a front engine.

This is gonna be great. The MX-3 was my first car, and soon will be my first swap. :D

I'm still waiting on my dad to give me the go ahead...the MR2 is still there, and the guy even dropped the asking price to $5500 in January.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Leedeth wrote:I think I got this figured out. Here's my plan.

When I get an MR2, and it's all checked out and not going to break down on me, it becomes my daily driver and the MX-3 comes off the road for a KLZE swap.

I honestly don't think I can part with this car now. The body, interior, everything is in excellent condition. It's just that the last owner quit on maintenance and nearly drove it to the ground before dumping it. It's like an MR2 but with WWD and a front engine.

This is gonna be great. The MX-3 was my first car, and soon will be my first swap. :D

I'm still waiting on my dad to give me the go ahead...the MR2 is still there, and the guy even dropped the asking price to $5500 in January.
Go for it!

If I make it up there, you better stick me in the passenger seat. :)
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

nice, with a 196 hp ZE in a 2400lb car you will be running circles around a lot of cars. only problem will be traction in 1st and 2nd.

theres a lot of stuff to know about a ZE swap, mostly about the ZE valvesprings and retainers, and about fake ZEs that companys try to sell you. whenever you get going on that, ill tell you everything you need to know.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

hockeystyx16 wrote:nice, with a 196 hp ZE in a 2400lb car you will be running circles around a lot of cars. only problem will be traction in 1st and 2nd.

theres a lot of stuff to know about a ZE swap, mostly about the ZE valvesprings and retainers, and about fake ZEs that companys try to sell you. whenever you get going on that, ill tell you everything you need to know.
Tires for the traction problems? :)
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

front wheel drive is the traction problem. sticky tires are the band aid over the problem.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

I forgot that the DRLs are linked to the handbrake, so when I'm stopped and I pull the handbrake, I look like a tard when the DRLs switch on and off. So I popped it off again.

Rear strut bar is in place now. I hate all this plastic trim, it just gets in the way. The friggin plastic "bolts" that they have holding it in place is so damn hard to get out...I broke one while doing so. Broke out the electric saw and cut through the trim to make a nice hole for the bar to go through. But now I have to cut through the metal anchor for the seat belts...it goes on top, and I need to cut through the bottom so it can fit on top of the bar.

I cut my hand while torquing a bolt off...on plastic. Pfft. Well, at least I can now say that I shed sweat and blood for my car, and not in a collision.

Summary: Plastic trim may look good, but it's hard as f**k to work with.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

yea i had to drill holes in my back panels for the strut bar to go thru. if my car wasnt white from the factory and i wouldnt look like a tard, teal paint and white interior, id lose the panels a while ago.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

HAHA I just noticed I have 1337 views on this thread.

Anyway, did some maintenance today.

All easy stuff...I can't believe that people actually pay $50 to rotate the tires. It took me 20 mins, and that's without an airgun. It's not even a $5 job, labour wise, at minimum wage.

There was actually quite a difference in my tire wear from front to back. Fronts were worn down considerably more. Don't know the exact figures...I don't have a tread depth gauge.

Oil filter was a bitch to get to....

I've only driven about 8000km since buying 8 months ago...pfft, I need to drive more. :roll:

My car needs a wash as well...heheheh. :oops:

February 23, 08 243,827

-Changed motor oil, Quaker State Peak Performance SAE 5W-30
-Changed motor oil filter, Fram CPH6607 with Wearguard media and Suregrip feature ($6.63)
-Rotated tires, front to rear pattern
-Checked front and rear brake pads, plenty left
-Added Motomaster Fuel Injector Cleaner (in gas tank) ($4)
-Finished cutting through seat belt anchor metal and plastic trim to mount it over the rear strut bar

comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Leedeth !z a ub3r 1337 /\/\a$73r |-|ax0r!!!!11

Nah, but I had to make a 1337 joke. 1337 views. lulz! Nice though.

That's some slick work. Oil filter is in a PITA of a location though... Reminds me of the Tercel. I'm glad I didn't have to redo the valve stem seals on that car...

I see a jack stand. Nice. 8)

I have a feeling someday soon you'll be able to tackle some advanced jobs. Just hope none of them come along...