Phil's '95 VW Golf Sport VR6 (Update: exhaust clip!)

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

Re: Phil's '95 VW Golf Sport (Update: Four Year Necropost?!)

Post by pmacutay »

theholycow wrote:
pmacutay wrote:Showing my affection for the donor car and the headache of a registration process she's been giving me.
Why did you have to register it? Does your state not allow you a week to register a newly purchased car, during which time you can drive it using your old car's plates as long as you carry the bill of sale?
It was a lien sale (repossessed/otherwise) so the title did not come with the car. I have to apply for a new title, so I have to register the car. To register the car, it has to pass smog.

It has some autozone cold air intake (and a non-working check engine light), hence headache.

Plus, I have to have the title (obviously) to sell the shell for scrap once we rip the engine & parts out. Can't scrap a car that you don't legally own...

(right now the donor car is driveable, it has a 30-day temp permit and it's insured by my insurance, but driveable is not what i want, motor-ripped-out-and-in-my-golf is what i want :lol: )
95 VR6 Golf Sport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Phil's '95 VW Golf Sport (Update: Slow but steady progre

Post by theholycow »

I wonder how important the title is when you're scrapping a vehicle. I have the title to the transmission donor S10 but I was planning to just strip the parts that I think could be useful/saleable and then cut the rest into scrap metal that will fit neatly in my pickup bed. I wonder if the scrap yard will want the title...better make sure I dig it up before bringing the load there.

If I ever get around to finishing disassembling it, of course.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

Oh, I wasn't planning on dismantling/cutting the shell, it would still have its interior and stuff.

I dunno. Either way I'd rather have the title.

Progress today:

Got it "smogged" with the help of a friend. :P Time to pick up the pink slip tomorrow, and then the real fun starts!
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

pmacutay wrote:Oh, I wasn't planning on dismantling/cutting the shell, it would still have its interior and stuff.

I dunno. Either way I'd rather have the title.

Progress today:

Got it "smogged" with the help of a friend. :P Time to pick up the pink slip tomorrow, and then the real fun starts!
How much do they actually test? I lived in WV briefly and their car inspection consisted of making sure you have lights and wipers and it's not rusting out...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

Squint wrote:How much do they actually test? I lived in WV briefly and their car inspection consisted of making sure you have lights and wipers and it's not rusting out...
For this car (an originally Washington-state car) they checked to see if the VIN agreed with the paperwork & to see if the California-certified emissions sticker was present (it was not).

Smog check in California is biennial (every two years) and they visually check to see that the engine has not been swapped & associated smog equipment has not been altered. If it has been swapped, they look for a state referee sticker, showing that the engine swap has been authorized by the state (it was a newer engine into an older car, and all emissions equipment is intact and functional). They check to see that the MIL/CEL is not lit as well.

Then they run the car on a dyno at 15 & 25mph and measure the emissions through the tailpipe and it has to meet the stricter-than-other-49-states California emissions requirements.

Now, the passat failed both emissions (washington-state cat, and it was really old) & visual tests (CEL bulb burnt out, aftermarket non-CARB-legal CAI), but *cough* we have our ways... :mrgreen:
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Well then, good thing you know someone. And are not using the rest of passat that's apparently broken. :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

Squint wrote:Well then, good thing you know someone. And are not using the rest of passat that's apparently broken. :lol: :lol:
Yeah. I don't advocate stuff like going catless for +10hp or anything because that's just a dumb & selfish idea w/ respect to the environment.

But legally I would've had to buy a new California cat for the Passat, a new stock airbox, & fix the CEL and then smog it, when it's all pointless because once the engine is all bolted into my Golf, it's going to be a fully california-certified emissions system anyway and I'm gonna get the swap state ref'd so it's fully legal.

So I just had my friend slip it by this once because of the uniquely ridiculous situation the Passat got itself into.

If anything, the state should be paying me cuz I'm taking that VR6 out of the worse-polluting emissions system of the Passat and putting it into the Golf's cali-certified one, lol. Wouldn't that be something? :lol:
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

pmacutay wrote:If anything, the state should be paying me cuz I'm taking that VR6 out of the worse-polluting emissions system of the Passat and putting it into the Golf's cali-certified one, lol. Wouldn't that be something? :lol:
This. Wouldn't this be nice? Maybe a tax credit or something? For removing a polluting vehicle off of the roads. California would be the one state that has any hope of passing something like that. Get to it!

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:This. Wouldn't this be nice? Maybe a tax credit or something? For removing a polluting vehicle off of the roads. California would be the one state that has any hope of passing something like that. Get to it!
It's colloquially called "cash for clunkers". A few states have done it before, and the feds did it a few years ago (that program wouldn't have fit this particular situation though). It has a lot of disadvantages...

pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

Yeah, like losing my car =P
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:It's colloquially called "cash for clunkers". A few states have done it before, and the feds did it a few years ago (that program wouldn't have fit this particular situation though). It has a lot of disadvantages...
My understanding was that cash for clunkers was trying improve fuel economy and hopefully get rid of some vehicles that were in worse condition (because they had worse fuel economy). You got larger tax incentives when you traded in a low mpg vehicle and got one that was ___ mpg higher. Was that correct?

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:My understanding was that cash for clunkers was trying improve fuel economy and hopefully get rid of some vehicles that were in worse condition (because they had worse fuel economy). You got larger tax incentives when you traded in a low mpg vehicle and got one that was ___ mpg higher. Was that correct?
The federal program used fuel economy to qualify cars, but emissions was as much a purported goal as fuel economy. Usually reduced emissions goes hand-in-hand with reduced fuel consumption in comparable new cars. IIRC they talked about safety too.

In reality the goal was to throw the auto industry a bone and attempt to spur the economy a little...the fuel economy, emissions, and safety issues were a front to make it easier to sell the idea.

Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote: My understanding was that cash for clunkers was trying improve fuel economy and hopefully get rid of some vehicles that were in worse condition (because they had worse fuel economy). You got larger tax incentives when you traded in a low mpg vehicle and got one that was ___ mpg higher. Was that correct?
Cash for Clunkers did very little to improve fuel economy. In fact, the overall average fuel economy increased just 0.65 mpg (Source: http://www.rff.org/RFF/Documents/RFF-DP-10-39-REV.pdf)

Read this guy's article if you want to understand why Cash for Clunkers was a bad idea:

http://www.philforhumanity.com/Cash_for_Clunkers.html
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:In reality the goal was to throw the auto industry a bone and attempt to spur the economy a little...the fuel economy, emissions, and safety issues were a front to make it easier to sell the idea.
Yeah, ok, this was more of what I remembered. Just took a jog of the memory. Aaaannnnnnyway...
/threadjack

For Pony!
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

5-11-12
T-Minus 20 days till car show

Finally got started on the actual physical work. Paperwork's all said and done, the donor car's got its cali plates and fully registered under my name, so we start what we've been waiting for: ripping the thing apart.

With the radiator out of the way, unplugging and re-routing the wires and sensors becomes a billion times easier. As does unbolting the tranny & engine mounts.

Anyone want a Passat bumper? Like new condition, slightly drop-kicked & ripped off :lol:

A surprise was waiting for us when, out of curiosity, I cracked open the ECU to make sure the chip socket was the same one as the chip I had ordered from Techtonics.

I saw this and blurted out, "Well, f**k me! Yo, check this out!"

Same exact chip I ordered. Not bad, saves me $100 on the build that can go to other maintenance stuff! Contacted Techtonics to arrange the return of the new chip I ordered.

Engine harness pulled out of raintrays & stock engine bay routing. It's like the engine's nervous system is now exposed. (I know, "wire tuck! wire tuck!" but we don't have time. If only...)

Essential tools for a motor swap.

Time for sleep; waking up bright and early tomorrow to get an engine hoist, and then calling over a bunch of friends to literally throw the donor car's shell onto a trailer so we can send it to the scrapyard and make some money from it.

Bonus pic:

Apparently, this is what happens when you do a 5k rpm launch, carry the wheelspin through 1st and chirp into 2nd...on tires that were already bald to begin with.
Last edited by pmacutay on Sat May 12, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95 VR6 Golf Sport