The Silver REX

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

GarySheehan wrote:For a 17" wheel? Can you get away with a high performance summer tire where you are?
i'm interested in your opinions on this too. i'm going to be getting new tires fairly soon and i'm thinking either Kuhmo Ecsta MX or Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position (225/45/17). thoughts?
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I've read that the kumho's are very very good, but they wear pretty fast. I don't know much about the Potenzas though
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

GarySheehan wrote:For a 17" wheel? Can you get away with a high performance summer tire where you are?
Mmm. I'm in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area in Southern California. Not too hilly and weather is mostly good, not too rainy and definitely not snowy heh. So any suggestion would be good.

My car came with 16" wheels but I was thinking of getting 17" wheels. From what I've read there is a better choice range for 17" tires than 16". But I haven't found any 17" wheel that I really like. So I'll probably be getting tires for a 16" wheel.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

Draklen wrote:But I haven't found any 17" wheel that I really like. So I'll probably be getting tires for a 16" wheel.
what about the stock STi BBS? :P
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

paul34 wrote:
Of course, I suppose one could always justify it as a "safety feature"... because I mean, look, if you have to make an "emergency maneuver" at speed on the highway, you don't want your tires being the weak link! That's what I tell myself :D
lol. I guess I"m screwed then.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

I really like the Toyo T1-Rs I just put on.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
http://www.garysheehan.com
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

Convert it to look like a Spec C :twisted: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396639
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Draklen »

Okay so the inner shoulder of my front tires are getting worn. The rest of the fronts have very good tread and the backs are still like perfect. I know the RE92s are bad tires but I haven't had any issues with them other than the wear.

Should I attempt to get them moved to the back or just wait a bit longer and get new tires?
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

rotate them for now, and have your alignment checked. Wear on one side is usually a sign of a faulty part, assuming your pressures are right.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Draklen »

I went to AutoZone today because my windshield sprayers were shooting the water over my car so I got some new sprayers that were adjustable.

While I was wandering around I found a plate frame that I had on my prelude (I forgot to take it off before trading it in). So I grabbed 2 since they were in the 50% off bin :) .

Then I found this

Was thinking big one on the Gas door but not sure about the small ones. I wanna have my car washed before putting them on but I am still deciding whether or not to actually put them on. But then again I may not put them on as they are black and shiny like chrome and my blind someone or even myself if I decide to put them somewhere inside the car.

Maybe I'll stick them on my brother's wheelchair. :twisted:
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Draklen »

Weee!!! I ordered up a Cobb Double Adjustable Short Shifter and Cobb Shifter Bushings.

Edit: Oh and for my tire issue... I ended up gettin Falken Ziex ZE-512's.
Last edited by Draklen on Sun May 06, 2007 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Draklen »

Weee Got my Cobb Short Shifter in. Forgot to take pics. After having to wait an extra week for new pivot bushings I dove in as soon as I could.

It feels.... different heh. The throws are much shorter than the other shortshifter and the entire thing is pushed back a little. (IE. when I put it into 4th the shifter is like 1/2 inch from the trim instead of like 2 inches.

I'll have to take another pic with it in 1st to compare to the other pics I have. But since it's further back I can actually move my seat back a notch (and not feel scrunched under the steering wheel) and not have to stretch for 5th.

I do have to get used to it though. Needs a little more force to shift but that's no problem. Just won't shift fast for a day or 2. Already grinded second heh.

Anyways.. need to go out with my mom's new GPS (that my brothers and I got her for Mom's Day) and test it out. She keeps accidentially pushing things and turning off the sound.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

woot cobb shortshifter! if you adjust the bottom screw and bring it up a little more you can get the shifter more centered and the throws will be shorter, as long as you can actually engage the gears. when i first put mine in i didn't get rid of the metal corner under there and had to set the throw pretty long and i was actually banging the shifter trim going into 4th and 6th and 3rd looked like neutral. now neutral is pretty centered.
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Draklen »

I haven't cut out that corner piece either. I am not sure if I really want to. I kind of like the position it's in. No more stretching for 5th but I still may cut away that piece. Haven't fully decided yet.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

actually i didn't cut it either. in the 04s the shape is symmetrical so you can just rotate it 180 degrees, putting the corner on the back right instead of the front left and getting it out of the way of the linkage. just had to bend a couple of metal tabs up a little to make it sit flush. they changed the shape in 05 making this not work anymore, so you may be able to do that on your 02 as well. just take it off and rotate it and see if the holes line up. much easier than trying to cut it.