Well I found the Focus replacement...

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Well I found the Focus replacement...

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd always heard that the dual spark plugs were put in in an effort to bring nocturnal emissions into regulations.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 am I'd always heard that the dual spark plugs were put in in an effort to bring nocturnal emissions into regulations.
Ok, I think I recall that. Same thing the old hydrocarbon-hog 4.9L inline six required two cats inline to bring it into emissions compliance.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Car was deemed a total loss by the insurance company. I am buying it back, I get net $4,100 to fix it on my own. Can't complain when I paid $3,500 for it! :D
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

ClutchDisc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:00 pm Car was deemed a total loss by the insurance company. I am buying it back, I get net $4,100 to fix it on my own. Can't complain when I paid $3,500 for it! :D
Sorry to hear it. At least you came out ahead? :? There are probably loads of junkyard parts to be had for cheapish.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I am sure I will come out ahead... plus the car is too old for a salvage title, so I keep a clean title and collision insurance. I know a guy at a good body shop, so I will probably get a break.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 am I'd always heard that the dual spark plugs were put in in an effort to bring nocturnal emissions into regulations.
If you have two plugs sparking, you can have shorter distances for the flames to travel and this can help reduce the tendency for spark knock, so it lets you run more compression ratio / more spark advance and maybe you get a few more horse pressures and fuel smilages from the engine.

FCA's Hammy has two plugs per cylinder.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm
If you have two plugs sparking, you can have shorter distances for the flames to travel and this can help reduce the tendency for spark knock, so it lets you run more compression ratio / more spark advance and maybe you get a few more horse pressures and fuel smilages from the engine.

If two plugs can pressure horses, I want 3 plugs! Oh wait, we can only have so many holes in a cylinder head before it becomes Swiss cheese. But forget plugs whatsabout this new compression ignition gasoline engine Mazda has come up with. That sounds like a barn full of horses for sure.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchDisc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:00 pm Car was deemed a total loss by the insurance company. I am buying it back, I get net $4,100 to fix it on my own. Can't complain when I paid $3,500 for it! :D
can you please explain this to me? you are implying you are potentially gaining money, when it sounds like knot? i don';t get it. the one time i totalled a car, i didn't bother buying it back.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Fork, the way I understand it, Mazda's SPCCI engine still uses a spark. It's designed so the spark sets off a pressure wave to start the fuel igniting. Sounds like they have an electric stupercharger to pump more pressure into the cylinder.

I'm curious as well, but probably won't be an early adopter. Then again by the time I'm ready to fully decide, the engine should be available and in its 3rd year, so...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm

If two plugs can pressure horses, I want 3 plugs! Oh wait, we can only have so many holes in a cylinder head before it becomes Swiss cheese. But forget plugs whatsabout this new compression ignition gasoline engine Mazda has come up with. That sounds like a barn full of horses for sure.
Top Fuel Dragsters run 3 plugs per cylinder....and no cooling system. How hot could it get in 4 seconds?

Their G-Loads are so high that the fuel / air mix tends to be richer at the rear of the cylinders and leaner at the front of the cylinders. Goldilocks sits somewhere near the middle?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

potownrob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:27 amcan you please explain this to me? you are implying you are potentially gaining money, when it sounds like knot? i don';t get it. the one time i totalled a car, i didn't bother buying it back.
Sounds like it was well-bought in order for the difference between total loss payment and salvage value to be more than he paid.

He's net money ahead now but also has a broken car.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:27 am
can you please explain this to me? you are implying you are potentially gaining money, when it sounds like knot? i don';t get it. the one time i totalled a car, i didn't bother buying it back.
The car was rear ended. He is driving it. It handles fine, drives fine, and you would not even know it was hit until you look at it. Insurance company must have estimated the repairs at dealership prices. When a car is declared totalled by the insurance it is a financial statement (presumably that the repairs are more than the car is worth) and does not necessarily mean the car is truly totalled. If the repair is close to the preliminary estimate from our local body shop, he stands to walk away with a repaired car and about $1900 in pocket, which will about cover the loss on the Focus last year. The odds are great that he will pocket some money even if the repairs go over the estimate.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:09 pm
potownrob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:27 am
The car was rear ended. He is driving it. It handles fine, drives fine, and you would not even know it was hit until you look at it. Insurance company must have estimated the repairs at dealership prices. When a car is declared totalled by the insurance it is a financial statement (presumably that the repairs are more than the car is worth) and does not necessarily mean the car is truly totalled. If the repair is close to the preliminary estimate from our local body shop, he stands to walk away with a repaired car and about $1900 in pocket, which will about cover the loss on the Focus last year. The odds are great that he will pocket some money even if the repairs go over the estimate.
eye think what i'm knot getting is how much he has to pay to buy it back. they only charge like $1900 to buy it back from the insurance company? eye guess the process is jest two fore wren too me. ore may be eye'm knot a wake any moor. haz bin uh bizzy weak end knot even half oveur.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm FCA's Hammy has two plugs per cylinder.
Dont forget the "high output" 4.7 :roll: :lol:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm FCA's Hammy has two plugs per cylinder.
Dont forget the "high output" 4.7 :roll: :lol:
High Output of blue smoke and clattering?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport