Well I found the Focus replacement...

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Well I found the Focus replacement...

Post by watkins »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:49 pm
watkins wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm FCA's Hammy has two plugs per cylinder.
Dont forget the "high output" 4.7 :roll: :lol:
High Output of blue smoke and clattering?
Pretty much
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 am eye think what i'm knot getting is how much he has to pay to buy it back. they only charge like $1900 to buy it back from the insurance company? eye guess the process is jest two fore wren too me. ore may be eye'm knot a wake any moor. haz bin uh bizzy weak end knot even half oveur.
The buyback was around $600 or so deducted from the total payout.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:15 pm
potownrob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 am eye think what i'm knot getting is how much he has to pay to buy it back. they only charge like $1900 to buy it back from the insurance company? eye guess the process is jest two fore wren too me. ore may be eye'm knot a wake any moor. haz bin uh bizzy weak end knot even half oveur.
This is correct, the $4,100 is net less the buyback price. Basically I got the car for an absolute steal for over a grand less than what it was worth last August.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchDisc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:22 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:15 pm
This is correct, the $4,100 is net less the buyback price. Basically I got the car for an absolute steal for over a grand less than what it was worth last August.
Epic Winning :!: :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

So I have an update! Total cost to fix the Fusion is just under $2,500. I also got back my deductible from the other guy's insurance company. So I net gain $1,700! :)

Car will be finished tomorrow! :D
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchDisc wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 pm So I have an update! Total cost to fix the Fusion is just under $2,500. I also got back my deductible from the other guy's insurance company. So I net gain $1,700! :)

Car will be finished tomorrow! :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Dyn-o-mite!

Long live the Silver Ingot.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:23 pm
tankinbeans wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:49 pm
watkins wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am
Dont forget the "high output" 4.7 :roll: :lol:
High Output of blue smoke and clattering?
Pretty much
My 3.7 is mechanically a close relative to the 4.7 H.O. - and about the same power per liter - but I don't burn or leak oil so far at 100k miles.

I switched a cupola ears ago to mobil one oil - maybe that has been keeping me out of trouble so far. I've heard of 3.7 and 4.7 engines tossing their camshaft followers when the valves or hydraulic lifters got gummed up. Actually, almost all vehicle manufacturers have had engine issues related to oil sludge. Some of it is due to folks not changing oil at the recommended intervals, some is due to owners with a duty cycle of short distance timing, some due to excessive oil temperatures - shudda bought the trailer-tow package or added an oil cooler - and it wooden sprise me if some folks are getting stuck with bogus oil from quick-change places. There are a lot of counterfeit auto parts in circulation, so counterfeit oil wouldn't be much of a stretch.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Is there anything to be said about ridiculously long OCIs sunch as the 20,000 mile change when using super deluxe special synthetics? As I recall Engineering Explained said even with additives synthetic oils still shouldn't go that long.

I personally have maintained a ~5k interval in Malcolm, using factory rec'd 0W-20. Pay a slight upcharge from the dealer, who offered 9 free oil changes when I signed (using 5W-20). Oil is relatively cheap to replace after all.

Bob Is The Oil Guy has guys recommending absurdly short intervals in the 1,500 - 2,000 range. Curious to hear from the guys on the ground.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:11 pm Is there anything to be said about ridiculously long OCIs sunch as the 20,000 mile change when using super deluxe special synthetics? As I recall Engineering Explained said even with additives synthetic oils still shouldn't go that long.
that sounds like too long an OCI for motor oil. you'd want to do extensive testing (send in oil samples, etc.) before going that long. longest i'm comfortable going is 10k miles and that's on full synthetic in engines that aren't known for developing problems from longer OCIs. VW has 10k OCIs for both VWs eye've had, which seems like long, but they use full synthetic with a drop-in (drop-out?) oil filter element cartridge, and the engines don't seem to suffer from the longer OCIs, from what I've read at least. Hondas I had tended to start throwing up the oil change suggestion percentage light within 6-7k miles, but that light and percentage was said to be based in large part on how you drove the car. since they used synthetic back when i had my hondas with the K series engines, i would sometimes stretch the OCI past 7k, with the percentage warning reading 0% for a while.
I personally have maintained a ~5k interval in Malcolm, using factory rec'd 0W-20. Pay a slight upcharge from the dealer, who offered 9 free oil changes when I signed (using 5W-20). Oil is relatively cheap to replace after all.
9 free oil changes can go by quick if you drive a decent amount each year. are they using full synthetic? if so, you could probably go longer without trouble, unless that engine is known for having problems or you're driving it really hard. eye'd also keep in mind how long you're planning to keep the car...
Bob Is The Oil Guy has guys recommending absurdly short intervals in the 1,500 - 2,000 range. Curious to hear from the guys on the ground.
eye stopped going on that site a long time ago. way too much conflicting info/opinion/banter. when these self-proclaimed oil experts contradict each other, it makes one wonder if they can trust any of them.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Forget the Bob the Oil Guy site, much better at Noria Forums for oil discussions.

https://forums.noria.com/
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rob, they offer fully free oil changes if I use 5W-20, but manufacturer recommends 0W-20. That's a $30 upcharge. My use cycle lately tends to be on the "severe" cycle in that short trips are more frequent. I now only work 9 miles from work, whereas before I worked 23 miles from work, and my car doesn't always fully warm up.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Its done, and looks better than before the accident! :D

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Bon! Looks pretty sweet.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:11 am Rob, they offer fully free oil changes if I use 5W-20, but manufacturer recommends 0W-20. That's a $30 upcharge. My use cycle lately tends to be on the "severe" cycle in that short trips are more frequent. I now only work 9 miles from work, whereas before I worked 23 miles from work, and my car doesn't always fully warm up.
should run fine on 5w-20, at least in the warmer months... :lol: :P :mrgreen: