Watkins' other Saab

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Watkins' other Saab

Post by ClutchFork »

That is a nice Saab. But there is also Watkins' Salve. It is petro and carburated.

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am
watkins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 amwe don't need to be a four car household for just two of us.
Eh? Why not?

My yard looks like a used car dealer. :lol: Wife's DD, my DD, wife's second car, my second car, pickup truck, yard plow truck (rotting remains of old pickup truck), project vehicle that I'll soon sell, travel trailer, buncha various utility trailers...and if you put them all together, they're worth their weight in scrap steel! (Well, wife's cars are probably worth a little more than that.)
eye believe watkins lives in a slightly more urban neighborhood than ewe doo, sew knot ass munch room four carrs.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 pm That is a nice Saab. But there is also Watkins' Salve. It is petro and carburated.

wye arr ewe fore getting aboot watkin's glen?? it's whet und wild!!

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:23 pmWhat's crazy is that utility trailers are crazy expensive here. Doesn't matter if it looks like shit, needs wheel bearings, new deck and wiring is barely hanging on, they are asking 300-400 for them. I thought about getting one to transport the motorcycle if necessary and just in general and didn't mind getting one that needs some work, but I didn't really expect them to be that much cash. Maybe my expectations were out of line...
Come to think of it, that's about how they are here.

Mine are free sweat-equity projects...I've positioned myself as a bottom-feeder for this stuff for a long time, collected a lot of junk, and made stuff out of it (or will do so).

1. Homemade boat trailer, was free on Craigslist in maybe 2005 or 2006. I've had to rewire it, replace the coupler, replace all the wheel studs (and weld them in because the holes are misshapen), and other repairs that don't immediately come to mind. I built a frame on it to contain and haul my garbage barrels/recycle bins. (No trash pickup in my town.)

2. S10 rear half, was the donor for my 1980 Buick's transmission project. Still need to finish this one by bending the remaining front half of the frame in to meet at a coupler, replacing the wiring harness that I ripped out when I thought I was scrapping the whole remaining thing, and probably a few other tasks.

3. Tilt-tongue boat trailer I acquired for free while doing a huge major demolition/yard cleanup project winter/spring. Needs wiring/lighting and wheel bearing. I used it to haul some stone a couple weeks ago and shortly after loading 3500 pounds one wheel bearing disintegrated...hobbled it home at walking speed for two hours.

4. Bigger heavy duty double axle tilt-tongue boat trailer, free from same project. Needs wiring/lighting, tires, and suspension repairs. Probably going to replace the other one's axle with one of the two from this, then replace both on this one with two from my camper, because...

5. Also getting a travel trailer camper from that project, eventually. Will replace my rotted camper.

6. Gonna demolish my existing rotted travel trailer, give its axles (with electric brakes) to the big tilt-tongue trailer, and use its frame rails to build tracks on that trailer to drive onto so I can haul vehicles on it.

/rambling ridiculous list of projects and junk

Anyway, if you have time and don't mind demolishing/disposing (and towing a super-sketchy rig home once), trashed travel trailers can be had for free pretty consistently on craigslist. Demolish the superstructure, get a few bucks cash from aluminum siding scrap, shorten the frame, then use the scrap from shortening it to reinforce the remaining frame since those frames tend to be minimal and they reportedly depend on their superstructure for strength.

Trashed mouse-infested pop-up campers are less frequent but still come up pretty regularly, and for those you basically just gut it and the existing sides/floor may suffice as a bed. They're already a good size for a utility trailer.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

My Harbor Great utility trailer was a freaking miracle bargain at $300 including the decking and hardware I bought for it. I use the crap out of it and have only one complaint after five years: The paint sucks and flakes off fast. Every two years or so I sand it down and repaint as needed. I could disassemble it and fully repaint it, but I have no motivation for that.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

i don't think i'd be comfortable buying a trailer under $300 (or even $500) from a store (free off of craigslist is different). these things have to hold up bouncing around and turning at high speeds while holding stuff and being pulled and slowed down by a vehicle. i'd think a cheaply made trailer (or hitch) could break down fairly quickly under those conditions.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I read extensive reviews before my purchase, and all were good.

I bought the 1200 lb gross trailer, which leaves me with about 1000 lbs of load capacity. Ive put probably well over double that on it for short trips. Aside from having to pull over to bend up the fenders because they were rubbing, all went well. Ive pulled a picnic table at 80mph without issues.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm Ive pulled a picnic table at 80mph without issues.
Must have had some pretty strong tablecloth clips and what did you do, glue the plates down?

Nice trailer BTW, and nicely loaded, but I would not go 80 with that wood load. Trailer saved you about 15-20 separate trips with the car hauling that wood one or two pieces at a time in the trunk.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

That wood went about 4-5 miles and I never got over 30mph. No trailer brakes, and waaaayy overloaded.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pmIve pulled a picnic table at 80mph without issues.

Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Another SAAB? Well, I guess I'm okay with that, but just remember, that's not unlike how the cat lady got started on her binge.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

^ THAT'S A LADY?
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

How to Own SAABs Without Being a SAAB Guy

”SAAB Guys” are thought of as those out there who are so obsessed with their SAABs that the cars take top precedence in their life. “SAAB Guy” also brings to mind a garage, driveway and yard overflowing with SAABs, SAAB-themed clothing, shelves loaded with SAAB parts, and oil drippings on the driveway. Although the “SAAB Guy” stereotype exists for both men and women – and there may be some truth to it – you can still have a SAAB and not be seen as a SAAB Guy.

Avoid owning too many SAABs. One of the simplest ways of avoiding looking like a SAAB Guy is to simply not own that many SAABs. Limit yourself to one or two SAABs and make sure you can easily provide for the both of them.
• Two SAABs is a great number to own. The other SAAB will keep it looking like someone is still home when you are away from the house, dampening any guilt you may feel for not driving both cars at once.
• Too many SAABs parked around the house tends to increase the chance of behavioral problems in the neighbors, such as calling the city code enforcement officer to come issue you a warning for having a junkyard within city limits.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rescue responsibly. Compassion for abandoned SAABs leads many to rescue a SAAB in need, or take one in from the street. Don’t let your compassion for such cars get the better off you. It’s easy to fall into a habit of taking in every abandoned car you happen upon, and before you know it, you have far too many SAABs to support in a healthy manner.
• Join a SAAB Club. There are countless SAAB rescue groups throughout the US. These groups are dedicated to finding homes for SAABs in need, and often guarantee a “no scrapping” policy for SAABs that are kept until they are adopted. Look for your local organizations to see how you can help better the conditions of SAABs without necessarily owning them.
• Many organizations also need volunteers to help exercise abandoned SAABs. This is a great opportunity to help SAABs in need without getting in over your head.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Get Your SAAB Fixed. Many SAABs (and Hondas) find themselves without a garage because car owners fail to fix their car. By doing your part and fixing your SAAB, you can ensure that more SAABs are not brought into this world that may not be able to find a garage.
• Getting your car fixed also improves the long-term health of your SAAB. Fixing reduces the urge for your SAAB to leak, blow blue smoke out the exhaust, make annoying noises, and otherwise be a pariah in society.
• Reducing misfiring will also reduce the overall costs associated with owning and operating your SAAB over the duration of your time together.