I hate this car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

I hate this car

Post by RomPirate »

And I love it.

My Rabbit, that is.
See original post:
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=20156

I love how practical it is. I carried some 10' 2x4 in it, along with pickets to build a fence. High speed stability is great. I've cruised at 90mph. Solid. Extremely comfortable. Smooth shifting. Nice low end torque. It has been very reliable. 2.5 is allegedly, most reliable VW engine in recent times.

Dislike:
Dull engine. REV HANG.

Overall, it is probably my most favorite car i've owned for every day driving.

97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: I hate this car

Post by potownrob »

interesting perspective on the highly misunderstood (even by me) golf/rabbit. i never really considered mine very cargorific, but eye'm apparently using it wrong - time to clean him out and fold those rear seats. if yours has that much room, mine will have even more; with the seats up the hatch area doesn't hold too much and the back seats aren't that big. also disagree about the engine being dull, but the '07s may have had less power (forget if it was the '07s or '08s that got more power) - my '12 jetta with it's 6 speed auto felt quick and the engine was anything but dull. it could be the tranny that is the problem and what is dull too. :idea: :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

If it's the same manual, or related to that in the '11 Jetta, it has 3 overdrives which hide power pretty effectively.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's probably a lot more like the 5MT that was in my 2008 Rabbit, which, on paper, had an overdrive or two...but in reality its ultra-short final drive meant it ran out of gears by the time I got to 25mph and I wanted ten more gears if they must be so short and so closely-spaced. Power was plentiful and ready on tap without a downshift in every gear at any speed - but all the 2.5's copious torque was wasted and it buzzed around like a ricer kid who thinks he's awesome for keeping his Civic in 3rd gear at 90mph. (Slight hyperbole may have been used in the preceding sentence...just slight.)

I found mine amazingly spacious for a compact car that could almost be parked entirely in the trunk of most cars I've ever owned (which tend to be very large), but certainly not cargorific by my thoroughly inflated standards either.

The best cure I found for rev hang was to ignore it, shove the shifter as if it owed me money, dump the clutch as if Scotty just beamed my leg out, and keep RPM under 1200 (well, until I was going over 25mph that is) where a little rev hang is tough to notice.

If I owned one now I'd definitely invest in tuning out rev hang (and maybe some taller gears).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

Maybe its because of the other cars that i've owned that I find it less exciting. Speaking of which, I've toyed with the idea of getting an E46. Not sure if I can make the swap since this rabbit is the closest we have to a "truck". :lol: How does the I6-2.5 compare to the VW 2.5? I've never driven one but looking for comparisons :D
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I remember my 08 Rabbit I bought new and had for a few years. I also had a bit of a love and hate relationship with it. Man, that seems like such a long time ago that I had it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

RomPirate wrote:Maybe its because of the other cars that i've owned that I find it less exciting. Speaking of which, I've toyed with the idea of getting an E46. Not sure if I can make the swap since this rabbit is the closest we have to a "truck". :lol: How does the I6-2.5 compare to the VW 2.5? I've never driven one but looking for comparisons :D
I hear you about the exciting thing. thing is, you end up compromising in some way to get a more fun car. rabbit/golf is more comfortable, roomy, well-rounded etc. than most "fun" cars. as for the ancient yet well-respected bmw 2.5 litre I6, i haven't looked up the numbers in years (and too lazy to look them up now, but a quick wiki search would pull them up), but the numbers are very similar from what i remember, and both engines have a unique sound to them. the BMW I6 sound is nicer - more refined and with that classic I6 sound. the VW 2.5 has a nice growly sound to it, and i liked mine overall (despite the mediocre MPGs). both engines are old designs, but the BMW I6 dates back further in time (i think the VW 2.5 is from the early 2000s - don't confuse it with the older audi 5 bangers - while the bmw engine is (originally) from the 80s. for the older BMWs, the 2.5 was good, i'd say up to the e46, but the 3 series (let alone the 5 series) got too heavy after that. the 2.8, while dogged by many for some reason (too lazy to look up; can't remember why), was better suited to even the older 3 series in my opinion.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:I remember my 08 Rabbit I bought new and had for a few years. I also had a bit of a love and hate relationship with it. Man, that seems like such a long time ago that I had it.
i remember your grey rabbit getting hit and dented every time you turned around. my grey '12 jetta was also a dent and ding magnet. also remember you blowing off that mercedes in the WV mountains :twisted: :D :P
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I remember my 08 Rabbit I bought new and had for a few years. I also had a bit of a love and hate relationship with it. Man, that seems like such a long time ago that I had it.
i remember your grey rabbit getting hit and dented every time you turned around. my grey '12 jetta was also a dent and ding magnet. also remember you blowing off that mercedes in the WV mountains :twisted: :D :P
I don't remember blowing off a Mercedes but I definitely remember all the misfortunes that car endured.

On a somewhat related note, I drove a new GTI the other day and I have to say... meh. It wasn't as good as I expected, but I am not quite sure what I expected. The clutch and shifter were GREAT, however. I almost expected a rev-hanging mess, but there was no such thing. It took me mere minutes to feel like I have been driving this car for years. It was precise, smooth and felt great. But the rest of it was somewhat underwhelming, especially given that I'd be paying 30+ grand for it. The power was just so-so, but I am kind of spoiled by the ecoboost, which are gutsy motors even in the heavy trucks and punch way above their weight (or displacement). Again, I am spoiled by the largest cabin of pretty much anything you can buy, but the space in the back was lackluster and I am certain that it cannot be my camping vehicle to haul two big dogs plus gear for two people - no way. I'd have to get a large roof box to do that and then all the economical benefits are out the window.

For 30K+ I feel like there are better options out there.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: I don't remember blowing off a Mercedes but I definitely remember all the misfortunes that car endured.
well, it was more like caught her off guard then she didn't try to keep up. eye took a loss on my jetta, not just due to the legendary vw depreciation, but also due to hitting icebergs too many times during the winters i had the car. :oops: :shock: 8)
On a somewhat related note, I drove a new GTI the other day and I have to say... meh. It wasn't as good as I expected, but I am not quite sure what I expected. The clutch and shifter were GREAT, however. I almost expected a rev-hanging mess, but there was no such thing. It took me mere minutes to feel like I have been driving this car for years. It was precise, smooth and felt great. But the rest of it was somewhat underwhelming, especially given that I'd be paying 30+ grand for it. The power was just so-so, but I am kind of spoiled by the ecoboost, which are gutsy motors even in the heavy trucks and punch way above their weight (or displacement). Again, I am spoiled by the largest cabin of pretty much anything you can buy, but the space in the back was lackluster and I am certain that it cannot be my camping vehicle to haul two big dogs plus gear for two people - no way. I'd have to get a large roof box to do that and then all the economical benefits are out the window.

For 30K+ I feel like there are better options out there.
your chariot awaits...

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Oh heck no. No more CUVs
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Is that one of those that come out of China or Poland?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:Oh heck no. No more CUVs
Thats a wagon not a cuv 8)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Oh heck no. No more CUVs
Thats a wagon not a cuv 8)
It is kind of sexy, if a bit pretentious.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:Thats a wagon not a cuv 8)
What is the difference?

Not in theory, but in practice...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD