RomPirate's new car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: RomPirate's new car

Post by potownrob »

RomPirate wrote:I've been taking a closer look at the Mazdaspeed3 (1st gen) or Madza3 (hatchback only). They seem to fit my needs and the bill. Not sure if the speed would be worth the premium seeing as my GO foot is ehhh... light.

Anyone have one? :)
i've never had one (did drive johnf's 1st gen 3i once though - not sure if you remember him; he used to be a mod here but disappeared one day...or night) but i hear the 3s models with the bigger 2.3 or 2.5 litre engine were a hoot to drive. the older 2 litre models were not as peppy as the newer 2 litre models, by the way.

as for the fit, i've heard a lot of good things about the older ones. other than highway road noise, the 2nd gen should be a solid bet. i test drove a 2015 (3rd gen) before i got my accord, and the fit didn't drive or feel like a small car with a tiny engine, and was fun. :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:
RomPirate wrote:I've been taking a closer look at the Mazdaspeed3 (1st gen) or Madza3 (hatchback only). They seem to fit my needs and the bill. Not sure if the speed would be worth the premium seeing as my GO foot is ehhh... light.

Anyone have one? :)
i've never had one (did drive johnf's 1st gen 3i once though - not sure if you remember him; he used to be a mod here but disappeared one day...or night) but i hear the 3s models with the bigger 2.3 or 2.5 litre engine were a hoot to drive. the older 2 litre models were not as peppy as the newer 2 litre models, by the way.

as for the fit, i've heard a lot of good things about the older ones. other than highway road noise, the 2nd gen should be a solid bet. i test drove a 2015 (3rd gen) before i got my accord, and the fit didn't drive or feel like a small car with a tiny engine, and was fun. :D
I have a 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch, read some about the previous gen before I got it. The new 2 L engine is more equivalent to the older 2.5 or whatever they had. The previous gen's small engine choice was generally considered meh as it wasn't fuel efficient enough to warrant the small engine or peppy enough to warrant the not as great MPG. Not bad, just meh. I like our vehicle, no major complaints on my end.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

FYI fit seats SUCK. The shifter is like butter. The second gen Mazda 3 had very nice ergonomics. I didn't drive one but spent a considerable amount of time sitting in one. You could go through all six gears without your arm leaving the arm rest. The new 3's nose is nice, but not really my cup of tea beyond that. How about the Focus? You might be able to find one.

Or a Crown Vic with a 5 speed swap.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

+1 on the Focus. The hatchbacks are slightly lighter than the sedans and the mileage is wonderful. 160horsepressures and 146 torques are dandy.

33ish combined without being overly concerned with frugality.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
33ish combined without being overly concerned with frugality.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:FYI fit seats SUCK. The shifter is like butter.
are you basing that on experience or reviews?? i also read reviews of the older fit seats not being the best, especially the 1st gens. 2nd gens they fixed them somewhat but still got complaints (i've never sat in a 1st or 2nd gen fit btw). 3rd gen seats look and feel like real seats. either way, i think OP needs to sit in the car to see how he likes it, as everyone is different and has different expectations. can't really speak for the 1st and 2nd gen shifters, but the 3rd gen (6 speed) shifter did feel good. not as good as a civic si shifter, but good and precise enough nonetheless.
The second gen Mazda 3 had very nice ergonomics. I didn't drive one but spent a considerable amount of time sitting in one. You could go through all six gears without your arm leaving the arm rest. The new 3's nose is nice, but not really my cup of tea beyond that. How about the Focus? You might be able to find one.
i dig the looks of the new mazda 3 and liked the 2nd gen looks. never drove a 2nd or 3rd gen though. 3rd gen of course looks amazing. i found 1st gen bland looking and, of course, the 3i sedan i drove at the 1st SS meet on Long Island was not as quick as expected (granted you can only go so fast in a parking lot). My understanding is the Fit, despite being or at least looking smaller, has more usable room than the Mazda 3 hatch/wagon.

LI Meet pic thread (back when I had the 98 Maxima, Johnf had his new-at-the-time 3i and Kevin had his Mustang):
http://standardshift.com/forum/viewtopi ... sland+Meet

Or a Crown Vic with a 5 speed swap.
how'd eye know you'd mention that :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Focus is nice (the current gen), but the rear folding seats are a sham. Not much utility there, to be honest.

Unless we're talking about earlier gens, then forget all I just said.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
are you basing that on experience or reviews?? i also read reviews of the older fit seats not being the best, especially the 1st gens. 2nd gens they fixed them somewhat but still got complaints (i've never sat in a 1st or 2nd gen fit btw). 3rd gen seats look and feel like real seats. either way, i think OP needs to sit in the car to see how he likes it, as everyone is different and has different expectations. can't really speak for the 1st and 2nd gen shifters, but the 3rd gen (6 speed) shifter did feel good. not as good as a civic si shifter, but good and precise enough nonetheless.
Experience. I'm not sure if the newer ones are better. I remember when I drove one my Hamstrings didn't feel too good. Plus they're stiff as a board and pretty narrow. The typical economy seat. Think about your lawn chair...then think about something 10 times more uncomfortable. That's what the car seat feels like.

Something like this.

I sat in one and didn't mind it too much. Then again it was only for a few seconds though. The second gen shifter was like butter though. Remember I was going to buy one at one point?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:
Experience. I'm not sure if the newer ones are better. I remember when I drove one my Hamstrings didn't feel too good. Plus they're stiff as a board and pretty narrow. The typical economy seat. Think about your lawn chair...then think about something 10 times more uncomfortable. That's what the car seat feels like.

Something like this.

I sat in one and didn't mind it too much. Then again it was only for a few seconds though. The second gen shifter was like butter though. Remember I was going to buy one at one point?
time to move up to a cadillac man 8)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:time to move up to a cadillac man 8)
I tried suggesting that already, but bk's not into GMs...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:time to move up to a cadillac man 8)
I tried suggesting that already, but bk's not into GMs...
might have to go the Saab, Volvo or Lexus route
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

Feels nice to be able to carry more than a loaf of bread....

Im patching a wall and adding a shop light in my garage.

Recently spent a day in San Diego. Had to drive back in the rain - the rabbit was comfy to drive. Definitely not the "feel every crease in the road" feeling from the miata.
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RomPirate wrote:Recently spent a day in San Diego. Had to drive back in the rain - the rabbit was comfy to drive. Definitely not the "feel every crease in the road" feeling from the miata.
In Michigan, we don't have creases in our roads....more like crevasses.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

In Rhode Island, we don't have crevasses in our roads, we have strip mines...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:In Rhode Island, we don't have crevasses in our roads, we have strip mines...
In Rhode Island there are not strip mines in the roads. There are roads in the strip mines.