Clutch Pedal Starter interlock Poll

A place to post photos and discuss your car.

Does Your Clutch Pedal have a Starter interlock Switch?

Yes, I must Press the clutch pedal before the starter will engage.
71%
No, I can engage the starter without depressing the clutch pedal.
25%
Sometimes.....it depends.
4%

Total votes: 24

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Clutch Pedal Starter interlock Poll

Post by theholycow »

Chris H. wrote:So...if your car doesn't have a clutch interlock...and you start your car without pressing the clutch...does the car suddenly punch forward and stall again? :?
No, because if you're smart you put it in neutral first.

I ought to try it. My car can handle it. I too have heard of people with failed clutch linkages using the starter to both launch and start at the same time, and of course hybrids work that way.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

My car has a clutch interlock, but all it is is a button on my interior firewall that is pressed by a tab on the clutch pedal arm when it is depressed. I have bypassed it by leaving the clutch engaged and using my foot to press the button. It just clunks forward a few feet, then starts and idles forward in 1st.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Once upon a time in my younger days, I did start a YJ Wrangler in gear. Got a nice three foot jump backwards and caught it before it stalled. First and only time I've made that mistake. :oops:
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

watkins wrote:No clutch interlock in Saabs. At least my generation. The weird thing is that in order to remove the key the vehicle must be in reverse. This can be embarrassing for the uninitiated.
yeah saabs are weird. not only is there no clutch interlock, and it has to be in reverse to get the key out, but you can't pull the transmission out of reverse if the key is out either...i thought this was the stupidest idea ever, but in actuality i realized that in my truck, the center return spring was shot on the left side (the one that returns the stick to neutral from inbetween the 1st and 2nd gear shift gate) but the one on the right side (the one that returns the stick to neutral from inbetween the 5th and reverse gear shift gate) wasn't worn at all, so it was almost difficult to get it into 5th from 4th (if you weren't paying attention to the extra resistance the spring on the right will give you). on my friend wes's old saab though it was completely balanced. even on my new (well new to me) civic the 5th\reverse gate is much tougher to get into than the 1st\2nd shift gate. presumably because whenever i (and more than likely the previous owner) park it, it goes into 1st gear and the e-brake comes up. so i figure that because its in 1st more than ever (when its parked) that return spring gets worn more than the other one...just a thought though

tl;dr?: saabs are as awesome as they are weird.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

My shifter moves more easily to the 1-2 side than the 5-R side too. However, it's not the spring; there is a single spring (funny shaped) that handles both directions and it certainly provides equal resistance in both directions. I think a scored part of the pivot ball may be at fault but I would expect it to feel ridgy rather than just being lighter/heavier.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Shadow wrote:
Ah yes, I forgot about that :lol:.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The Fiat 500 Abarth I drove today did NOT start without depressing the clutch pedal - but it was US spec car. I'll have to check if they had to add a switch or if FIAT builds them that way back home in Fiatland.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

theholycow wrote:
Chris H. wrote:So...if your car doesn't have a clutch interlock...and you start your car without pressing the clutch...does the car suddenly punch forward and stall again? :?
No, because if you're smart you put it in neutral first.

I ought to try it. My car can handle it. I too have heard of people with failed clutch linkages using the starter to both launch and start at the same time, and of course hybrids work that way.

I NEED to get a stick shift vehicle in my arsenal. How could I forget? My mind = slushed.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Rope-Pusher wrote:The Fiat 500 Abarth I drove today did NOT start without depressing the clutch pedal - but it was US spec car. I'll have to check if they had to add a switch or if FIAT builds them that way back home in Fiatland.
Where the hell did you drive an Abarth? I talked to the guy at the Fiat dealer and he said we weren't getting them until Q2 2012! I DEMAND AN ANSWER!
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
I've never seen a car actually start then stall, the car just lurches forward suddenly until the "Oh shit" sense kicks in and the driver lets go of the key. I wonder it's possible to actually 'roll-start' a car by engaging the starter in gear without disengaging the clutch. Anyone with a beater care to try it? Not it.
ive started my truck with the starter before. my buddy mike and i were bored one night and we taped my clutch interlock switch down with duct tape and tried it out. for a carb'd 2.2l 4cyl im surprised it moved at all. starter got it going to about 5-6mph then the motor kicked in, i cut the starter and just gassed it and went on my way. no fuss no muss. definitely not good for the starter though. in an emergency situation where (this would probably never happen) you got stuck somewhere dangerous and your car died (on railroad tracks and a train is coming, etc.) you could use your starter to move enough to not die, provided your battery\starter is strong enough.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:The Fiat 500 Abarth I drove today did NOT start without depressing the clutch pedal - but it was US spec car. I'll have to check if they had to add a switch or if FIAT builds them that way back home in Fiatland.
Where the hell did you drive an Abarth? I talked to the guy at the Fiat dealer and he said we weren't getting them until Q2 2012! I DEMAND AN ANSWER!
In Southeast Michigan.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hej Tups! Does your ship have a starter interlock with the clutch pedal?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Rope-Pusher wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:
In Southeast Michigan.
Ship one here plz.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote: Where the hell did you drive an Abarth? I talked to the guy at the Fiat dealer and he said we weren't getting them until Q2 2012! I DEMAND AN ANSWER!
In Southeast Michigan.
Ship one here plz.
I'd have moar phun drivin' it there.