Graham's 12 year-old Horse (AKA 1998 Ford Mustang)

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Re: Graham's 12 year-old Horse (AKA 1998 Ford Mustang)

Post by eaglecatcher »

LHOswald wrote:your driving a 300zxtt mated with a 5 speed...and you miss a mustang? son, i am disappoint
lol.

The Mustang was a tough son of a gun. Mine rattled to no end and whoever put mine together jizzed all over it with Loc-Tite (seriously... There was NEVER a bolt that was easy to get off...) and it was slow and drank gas like I drink beer, but I beat the living shit out of that car and it NEVER gave in. Well okay I broke the vibration damper on the driveshaft... But it was a month or two after I got it, so I consider it a weak link that my initial shake down found :twisted:

That having been said, I think the engine sounds better than the Z... Especially with an exhaust. And there was room in the engine bay for me to work without dismantling half the engine. Plus it wasn't as temperamental... The Z makes up its mind as to whether it wants to cooperate or not. When it does, it's wonderful. When it doesn't... FML.

All in all, I enjoyed my Mustang for what it was, but I was ready to move on. I just wish I had started with a GT... I'd probably have kept it then.

Oh vell, I'm a ricer with my fart cans now, lol.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

eaglecatcher wrote:
LHOswald wrote:your driving a 300zxtt mated with a 5 speed...and you miss a mustang? son, i am disappoint
lol.

The Mustang was a tough son of a gun. Mine rattled to no end and whoever put mine together jizzed all over it with Loc-Tite (seriously... There was NEVER a bolt that was easy to get off...) and it was slow and drank gas like I drink beer, but I beat the living shit out of that car and it NEVER gave in. Well okay I broke the vibration damper on the driveshaft... But it was a month or two after I got it, so I consider it a weak link that my initial shake down found :twisted:

That having been said, I think the engine sounds better than the Z... Especially with an exhaust. And there was room in the engine bay for me to work without dismantling half the engine. Plus it wasn't as temperamental... The Z makes up its mind as to whether it wants to cooperate or not. When it does, it's wonderful. When it doesn't... FML.

All in all, I enjoyed my Mustang for what it was, but I was ready to move on. I just wish I had started with a GT... I'd probably have kept it then.

Oh vell, I'm a ricer with my fart cans now, lol.

huh... Mines pretty quiet with not interior rattles of any kind, engine runs really quiet (unless I'm ruining it's cervix). It's getting 23 MPG with the A/C on. The 3.8L Mustang is nothing but WIN.

I'm thinking about getting a Maxima with a VQ30 or a VQ35. I had a girlfriend with a 350Z with flowmasters and I had a hard time not jizzing all over when I heard that f*cking engine. It might be the best sounding V6 ever.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

dude if you think a v6 mustang is fast, your on crack. i drove a singleport v6 5spd mustang before, it was by far the most pathetic car i ever driven in my entire life. and i like mustangs to start out. that car literally put a new meaning on cant get out of its own way. you floor the gas in 1st gear, and not a single thing happens. noises happen and tach goes up to its astronomical 4000someting redline and thats about it. it doesnt get faster, it just feels like its gonna fall apart more than usual.

after its painted, sell it for way more than its worth and get a real car

just saying
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

permabanned wrote:dude if you think a v6 mustang is fast, your on crack. i drove a singleport v6 5spd mustang before, it was by far the most pathetic car i ever driven in my entire life. and i like mustangs to start out. that car literally put a new meaning on cant get out of its own way. you floor the gas in 1st gear, and not a single thing happens. noises happen and tach goes up to its astronomical 4000someting redline and thats about it. it doesnt get faster, it just feels like its gonna fall apart more than usual.

after its painted, sell it for way more than its worth and get a real car

just saying
Did I say it was fast? I said it was quick, much quicker than my Eclipse. Just because you have a BMW now, doesn't mean you get to dog on my reliable transportation. Just because you drove one V6 Mustang, doesn't mean you've driven them all.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

He also owned two Probes
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:He also owned two Probes
Well, that definitely qualifies him to talk about slow.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

theholycow wrote:
watkins wrote:He also owned two Probes
Well, that definitely qualifies him to talk about slow.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My V6 Mustang was definitely faster than Eclipses. My friend had one, ~98 or so, with intake and full exhaust and I still whooped his ass bone stock.

They're not fast, but they're not retarded slow either.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

Just washed and polished. One picture from cell phone:

Also, who else loves the 1994-2004 Mustang interior?

Today:

Washed, polished, and detailed. Also, I tested the cooling system and it held 16 PSI for an hour before I relieved pressure. I then re-bled and made sure to top off the coolant (my mistake after unhooking the tester). I really love my Mustang, I love how dependable that little bastard is. No leaks of anything, anywhere - both front and rear crank seals don't even leak. No head-gasket problems or coolant leaks. I can't wait to have this car for the winter! :)

I'm going to get some sandbags for the trunk before it starts snowing here, but I'm also going to get some different tires for her. I want to go a little wider (and maybe taller, too). Stock is 205/55/15, but I'm willing to go up to a 215/60/15. What do you guys think? Any tips for driving in the Nebraska winter? (yeah, I'm a little paranoid about it...)
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

For winter, you want to go thinner tires, not wider. I will let the bovine or the twine shover explain.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's pretty simple, as I understand. Narrower = better at cutting through snow/slush. Wider is better at floating on the snow and therefore slipping. Neither one will help with ice.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

ihartmacz wrote:Also, who else loves the 1994-2004 Mustang interior?
Its on my list of the worst interiors ever designed.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Mid 90's Cavaliers. I feel sick just looking at them.
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

theholycow wrote:It's pretty simple, as I understand. Narrower = better at cutting through snow/slush. Wider is better at floating on the snow and therefore slipping. Neither one will help with ice.

I thought that you want a wider track for greater traction? What about for braking and steering? I'm not just concerned about moving as I am stopping and avoiding things.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

You want to cut through the snow, not sit on top of it
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Mid 90's Cavaliers. I feel sick just looking at them.
You better mean the '95 model year and up, 'cause if you don't, then them's fightin' words, son.
ihartmacz wrote:I thought that you want a wider track for greater traction? What about for braking and steering? I'm not just concerned about moving as I am stopping and avoiding things.
You're thinking in the mindframe of dry pavement. Slim. If you have cash, get a spare set of rims and go summer/snow.
I would say that all terrains are the shit in lieu of snow tires, but you don't drive a big ass truck.
Now, I just need some cash, so I can follow my own advice before it's too f*cking late.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200