i'm back. older, wiser, and porsche-ier

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Thuraash
Junior Standardshifter

Re: i'm back. older, wiser, and porsche-ier

Post by Thuraash »

Congrats on the Porsche, Doc! How's that handling treating you? :lol:

As for the RX-7 vs 944 debate, I can more or less promise the RX-7 won't handle as well. I've actually never driven a car that handles nearly as well as the 944. Now I just wish I could afford a 951...

These cars aren't meant for acceleration anyway; they get smoked by the common ricer in a straight line. They only get fun when you hit the curves... or when people gawk at it and think it's worth more than their brand new Honda...
1990 Nissan 300ZX N/A (RIP)
1986 Porsche 944 N/A
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Nice 944!

Almost got a red one with 80k miles about a year ago. Sweet car.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

Hey again. sorry so long since i replied lol. started training the day after. hell week, disney week, now i'm on grad week, but i'm still working from 6 am to 8 pm almost everyday.

so no pics yet. i'm going to try to sneak some extra time in to snap some today.

but, back to the car.. yeah! it's a great car. it handles amazingly. i'm not used to a car that can take a sharpish turn at 90. i can feel the tires slipping on the road, but it holds on like its glued there anyways. as far as acceleration goes, it was rated at 150 hp, but most people that have tested it find it has closer to 170, porsche said it will get 0-60 in 8 seconds, and most people found it actually goes a bit quicker than that.

so rx7 vs 944, i'd have to put my money on the porsche. (although i wonder why porsche rated the car so low. kind of seems anti-progressive). i'll have to race one someday (on the track, of course) and find out :) not that it matters. everyone tells me that it's a really nice rx7 i've got there, anyways lol. (and inside i die a little everytime they call it a mazda)

i picked it up for about 6 grand, which is a little higher than the average going price for these cars (but i REALLY wanted the black one!) it's got a bit of clutch chatter, so i'm a bit scared to let it out hard... the sunroof needs new motors, and there's a slight issue with opening the trunk (i've talked to a few other owners, and appearently that's normal).

now, hopefully, when my kid takes a nap i'll be able to post some pictures of the car :lol:
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Hey Doc, manage to get any pictures of the 944 yet? :D
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750