My car used to be quick

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: My car used to be quick

Post by theholycow »

The engine cover also insulates to keep heat in the engine and noise out of the cabin. On MKV VWs, the airbox is built-in to the engine cover.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

theholycow wrote:The engine cover also insulates to keep heat in the engine and noise
out of the cabin. On MKV VWs, the airbox is built-in to the engine
cover.
Yeah and it sends the air in a nice loop over the top of the engine, which doesn't help performance....
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Post by mesaboogie18 »

RITmusic2k wrote:
mesaboogie18 wrote:Image
Love the four rings on the intake piping... Audi bloodlines, baby!
Hell yeah! It's always nice to know that I pretty much have an Audi...an Audi A3 to be exact. The A3 is the same car as the GTI, but with Audi badges and a more upscale exterior....interior is the exact same in the MKIV generation. Heck, even the A4 has the same engine and tranny as my GTI. Wait, it gets better: The Audi TT uses the same powertrain as the GTI unless you buy the AWD VR6 version. 8)
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I wouldn't think of driving a GTI as of driving an A3.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

stupid engine covers. sell that shit for more than you paid for it, and clean up the wiring mess that its hiding. i hate the look of popping the hood and seeing a bunch of crap there thats covering the engine.

i open the hood for a reason, to look at the engine or to work on the engine, not to look at a bunch of covers.

make sure to lose the front plate with the front mount. kinda pointless putting a intercooler there and putting a plate in front of it. thats like putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator in the summer
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

paul34 wrote:Well then why have a hood? It's just covering up stuff in the engine bay, right? Useless.
Your argument is illogical.

A hood has an important purpose.

An engine cover is not necessary for function, it's basically just there for form.

Furthermore, when I open a hood to work on a car, I don't want to have to remove that shit to get down to business.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

comingbackdown wrote:An engine cover is not necessary for function, it's basically just there for form.
Form is a function. So is cleanliness of the covered area (depends on the car), and keeping excess heat from reaching the hood and destroying the paint faster.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, engine covers are rather controversial. While form may be a function, it's is not mean to be in the context that we are describing. IN my opinion engine covers are much more of aesthetic purposes than anything else. They are used to "clean up" the engine bay -- and hide the airbox -- in my case to make it more appealing. Automotive industry is also swaying away from consumers working on their own vehicles and an engine cover helps with that.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:Automotive industry is also swaying away from consumers working on their own vehicles and an engine cover helps with that.
They can go f**k themselves. I'm the only person who works on my car, period. Unless it's ABS module or something that I literally cannot in any way repair, nobody touches it but me, period.

Basically, they're trying to make it so you can only go to a dealership or a mechanic, and get raped in the ass no matter which of the two you choose.

To hell with 'em. I'll work on my own car 'til the day I die, even if I have to pick up a couple thousand smackers worth of specialty tools to do it.

They can just plain and simple kiss my ass.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

permabanned wrote:make sure to lose the front plate with the front mount. kinda pointless putting a intercooler there and putting a plate in front of it. thats like putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator in the summer
I can't ditch the front liscene plate b/c they are required by law here. I'd take it off in a heartbeat if it was legal to do so. As for it blocking my FMIC, it doesn't even come close to blocking it. My liscence plate sits in the middle of the front bumper and doesn't block airflow to the radiator at all, so adding a FMIC won't complicate things in that regard. As for the engine cover, I like it. It looks cleaner with it on b/c my engine is ugly underneath. I want a nice look in there and if I need to work on my engine (which I'm not very inclined to do anyway other than removing plugs, coils, FPR or DV), it takes all of 30 seconds to remove the engine cover, so it's no problem.

2004 VW GTI 1.8T

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

IMO, all you need is maybe a 1-1.5 inch drop, and if you wanted to replace the wheels, some 20th AE/R32 wheels would look perfect. It needs nothing else in the looks department. Only mods I would do right now is the wheels, said drop on springs (preferably coilovers), sway and strut bars, better brakes, a slightly bigger turbo, a FMIC, a better clutch, and a quaife LSD. Then I would be a very happy boy. :D
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

^^
Car looks great.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:IMO, all you need is maybe a 1-1.5 inch drop, and if you wanted to replace the wheels, some 20th AE/R32 wheels would look perfect. It needs nothing else in the looks department. Only mods I would do right now is the wheels, said drop on springs (preferably coilovers), sway and strut bars, better brakes, a slightly bigger turbo, a FMIC, a better clutch, and a quaife LSD. Then I would be a very happy boy. :D
I don't want new rims right now. I'm pretty happy with my stock 17's. It would be a waste of money to buy 20th AE orR32 rims b/c they look just like mine, but they're 18's:

R32
http://a431.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/im ... 13cd76.jpg

20th AE
http://www.howsyouredge.com/bmurphy/the20GTI.jpg

I'm going to drop about 2 inches or so...just enough to get rid of the majority of wheel gap without rubbing/being impractical. GTI's come with good brakes, so I don't need to upgrade with my stock turbo. Same with the clutch. It can handle the extra power I'm making. However, coilovers, sway and strut bars, and FMIC are definitely in my car's future. New turbo however...well, I'd like to upgrade, but it's looking like $5,000-$8,000 to go big turbo. If I did decide to go big turbo, I'd get a Garret GT30, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not going to be doing that any time soon though b/c then I WOULD have to upgrade my chip, brakes, clutch, LSD, bigger exhaust (3 inch), and tranny b/c I'd be pushing well over 400hp in a FWD car. I've met one of the GTI's here on the island in the 400hp club and he's beat Ferrari's in his dub. There's an even faster GTI and it's a MKV with a GT30 in the 400hp range. I'd replace the turbo with a bigger one if mine crapped out on me, but my car is still young and I don't foresee my turbo going any time soon. Besides, 240hp is enough fun for me for now. Only thing I can do power wise now is FMIC which should help me quite a bit. That's probably my next mod, followed very closely by coilovers and strut bar/rear sway bar.
padauk_dust wrote:^^
Car looks great.
Thanks mane :)
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

That's why I said if you wanted to get new rims, since yours look really nice and the same as R32 rims (same as 20th btw), you could get those if you wanted to upgrade. And I would really recommend better brakes. Maybe it's just me, but if I were to upgrade even 20 hp in my car, I would upgrade the pads and discs at least.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

front plates are required in ohio as well, and just about everyone i know thats into cars doesnt run one. i dont even know where my front plate is even at anymore.

if anything, throw it under the seat and if you do get pulled over and the cop is being a dick about it, tell him it fell off and you have it right there. at least thats a belieavable answer, id be like 'uhmmmm, i dont know. my bumper didnt have the holes for it and im not drilling new ones in there'

as for the brakes, i assume yours arent as useless as stock probe brakes, so a good set of rotors (not autozone) and a good set of pads (hawk HSP) will be just fine. in my case, theres nothing i can do to the stock brakes, they are 10.2" rotors and are simply too small to dissipate the heat of hard braking. im sure your brakes are bigger than lawnmower brakes, so youll be all set

GT28 would be an excellent 300hp turbo, and a GT30 would be maxing out around 400hp.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr